Issues Facing CDL Holders

moose

Veteran Expediter
if you are way overweight & have sleep apnea.
then you loose a lot of weight to becomes BMI sane .
dose the sleep apnea goe's away ?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It's just that many people who have sleep apnea are also overweight. But being overweight doesn't cause it, because not everyone who is overweight has sleep apnea.

You have to know the causes, and being over weight can be one of them.

When you're awake, throat muscles help keep your airway stiff and open so air can flow into your lungs. When you sleep, these muscles relax, which narrows your throat. Normally, this narrowing doesn’t prevent air from flowing into and out of your lungs. But if you have sleep apnea, your airway can become partially or fully blocked because...

Your throat muscles and tongue relax more than normal. Happens to thin and thick people.

Your tongue and tonsils (the tissue masses in the back of your mouth) are larger than normal compared with the opening into your windpipe. Happens to thin and thick people.

You're overweight. The extra soft fat tissue can thicken the wall of the windpipe. This narrows the inside of the windpipe, which makes it harder to keep open. Mostly happens to thick people.

The shape of your head and neck (bony structure) may cause a smaller airway size in the mouth and throat area. Happens to thin and thick people.

You sleep flat on your back. Gravity. Happens to thin and thick people.

The aging process limits your brain signals' ability to keep your throat muscles stiff during sleep. Thus, your airway is more likely to narrow or collapse. Happens to old people, mostly thin because thick people don't live that long.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It's just that many people who have sleep apnea are also overweight. But being overweight doesn't cause it, because not everyone who is overweight has sleep apnea.

You have to know the causes, and being over weight can be one of them.

When you're awake, throat muscles help keep your airway stiff and open so air can flow into your lungs. When you sleep, these muscles relax, which narrows your throat. Normally, this narrowing doesn’t prevent air from flowing into and out of your lungs. But if you have sleep apnea, your airway can become partially or fully blocked because...

Your throat muscles and tongue relax more than normal. Happens to thin and thick people.

Your tongue and tonsils (the tissue masses in the back of your mouth) are larger than normal compared with the opening into your windpipe. Happens to thin and thick people.

You're overweight. The extra soft fat tissue can thicken the wall of the windpipe. This narrows the inside of the windpipe, which makes it harder to keep open. Mostly happens to thick people.

The shape of your head and neck (bony structure) may cause a smaller airway size in the mouth and throat area. Happens to thin and thick people.

You sleep flat on your back. Gravity. Happens to thin and thick people.

The aging process limits your brain signals' ability to keep your throat muscles stiff during sleep. Thus, your airway is more likely to narrow or collapse. Happens to old people, mostly thin because thick people don't live that long.

The kind of knowledge on EO is amazing.
4336563-92056-funny-turtle-doctor.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's pretty good.

But I'm sure I've learned far more here than people have learned from me.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
For a small fee of 10,000,000 dollars, I will sell u my Gene code that will not let me gain weight, only gained 40 lbs in 40 years,,,now up to 185, all my relatives want the code, but all eolers get it for 5 bucks plus shipping and handling..this deall will not last forever as my birhtdays are in the higher numbers now, so hurry while the supply last..................

PS, drink once ounce a day of apple cider vinegar. see earthclinic.com for way to much info.

use the good acv, not walmart stuff. try Bragg Applecider Vinegar,healthfood stores

If that does not work,,,send me the 5 bucks.................

TropixBum

Active Expediter

I will add over a year ago I was close if not a little over 300 pounds. Type 2 diabetes, cholesterol & blood pressure problems. Bad, bad snoring. Started taking liquid minerals. Cut out gluten religiously. 2 eggs a day & salads. Snack on Pistachio's during the day. 5 months later I was 257 pounds. No sign of type 2 diabetes. No cholesterol problems. High blood pressure runs in the family but mine was now lower than usual. And my snoring did go away. My wife thought at times I wasn't breathing. Great sleep & felt better. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TropixBum

Active Expediter
PS, drink once ounce a day of apple cider vinegar. see earthclinic.com for way to much info.

use the good acv, not walmart stuff. try Bragg Applecider Vinegar,healthfood stores

If that does not work,,,send me the 5 bucks.................

I agree with Skyraider. I take a shot of Bragg's ACV in the morning. It will give you a kick start to start your day off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Contrary to popular indoctrination, fat doesn't make you fat. Restricting fat intake and calories does more damage than restricting carbs. Low fat/low calorie diets all wreck havoc with insulin and other hormones, and it's why Type II diabetes is at pandemic proportions in the US and around the world. The Food Pyramid was invented by the USDA, and for nearly 50 years the biggest part of that pyramid was grain-based - corn, breads, etc. A Food Pyramid promoting the very thing the USDA has a self-interest in. Go figure. Grains are what makes cows fat, BTW.

If you eat nothing but fat and protein you will lose weight, and a lot of it. The most potent fat storing hormone, insulin, triggers different enzymes and other hormones to regulate the storage of fat. When eating just fat, say, a meal consisting of 2 sticks of butter, maybe 10% of that gets used in the body and the rest is expelled as unneeded. But, if you eat lots of fat combined with carbs, it becomes a significant problem, because carbs trigger 3 other hormones that store fat, and those hormones along with insulin just go fat-storing crazy.

When you combine fat and carbohydrates together, two different energy sources, the insulin will take precedence over the other hormones to process the carbs, and the other hormones simply take the leftovers, the fat, and store it as fat. It's even more pronounced when the fat is animal fat, because insulin is required in order to process it, and the insulin is already busy handling the carbs. So, eating fat and carbs together, unless it's one of the healthy fats (olive and nut oils, mainly) is a really bad idea.

There are two issues that I see with Blizzard's version of Atkins. Well, three, actually. One is portion control. Two, he clearly hasn't read the book and doesn't know that nuts are definitely not part of Phase 1 and he doesn't know how to count the carbs or how many carbs per day he is allowed. Between the peppers, cheese and tomatoes, he's likely way over his daily allotment for Phase 1. Yes, cheese has lots of protein, but every slice or cube is 1 carb. The carbs need to be meticulously counted and written down. No exceptions. Three, the mistaken notion that you can eat all the protein (and fat) you want without eating the proper amount of vegetables. This means salads, lot and lots of salads. 2 or 3 cups a day (not per sitting) of salad vegetables. Not just lettuce wrapped around some meat or some bell peppers thrown into an omelet. It means salads as the main course with perhaps a little diced chicken or crumbled bacon on top. Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats should be eaten in moderation, not only because many of them are cured with added sugar, which must be counted in the carbs count, but also because they often have added salt and nitrates.

He also isn't eating the right foods to get the proper vitamins (vitamin supplements are supposed to be just that, supplements to the vitamins you get from food, they are not replacements for eating foods which contain little or no vitamins). Before you begin the Atkins Diet it's imperative that you read the book, all of it, from cover to cover, and then start the diet. There are things in the middle and the end of the book that you need to know about when first starting the diet. Don't get it piecemeal off the Internet, read the book.

Another reason I know he hasn't read the book is, "so pick a day or two a month where you eat a few slices of pizza, but maintain a strict diet plan the rest of the time." Anyone who's read the book knows that's implicitly and expressly a no-no. Periodic "cheating" with carbs like pizza induces your body to become insulin resistant, and in order to counteract that induction, you have to go back to Day One of Atkins Induction and start all over as if you've never been on the diet at all. But you can only do that a few times before you body says fuggetaboutit. If you wanna "cheat" it must be done with a natural, non-processed carb, like an orange. Certainly not pizza dough.

One of the keys to Atkins, and any diet high in fat, is eating copious amounts of fiber along with it. All the eggs and bacon in the world are meaningless (and can even be more damaging than the carbs) without fiber. Iceberg lettuce has even less nutritional value than flour, sugar and pasta, so eating a hunk of meat wrapped in an iceberg lettuce leaf doesn't give you anywhere near the proper amount of fiber or vitamins that is required for this diet. A low carb burger wrapped in Romain would be better. A 7-egg omelet is not watching portion control. 7 eggs in a day is fine, just not all at once in one sitting, especially when combined with peppers and half a slab of bacon.

The Atkins book highly stresses portion control. Eat often, 5-8 times a day, but in small portions only. Eating a large portion, even one of healthy eggs (yes, they are healthy for you, despite the rampant misinformation in the media about cholesterol), will cause the body's metabolism to slow down, which increases insulin resistance, which causes all that fat to be stored, which is the very thing Atkins is trying to reverse.

If you read the book you'll know the overall big picture of what Atkins is. It's not an all-you-can-eat meat-and-cheese baconpaloosa, it's all about eating the proper foods, natural nutrient dense foods, in the right proportions. Atkins starts out dramatically restricting carbs and portions to shock the body into once again properly processing the calories you are eating. Later you begin to add more carbs, but the right kind from the right sources. Eventually you add plenty of carbs back to your daily diet, but all the carbs are of the proper kind. By the time you get to Phase 3 and Phase 4, you will have learned how to eat properly, and why.

I do wish you luck with Atkins, Bliz. But please read the book. Actually, I recommend the book to anyone, whether they are interested i the diet or not. There's a ton of very good information in there about nutrition and eating right. It's not even The Atkins Diet, officially it's called The Atkins Nutritional Approach, and for good reason.

I can attest to this approach being effective. In 2003 I found out I was suffering from insulin resistance after ballooning to 380 pounds! Horrible snoring, high blood pressure, the whole bit. Doctor said this it, lose weight or die! Heard about the Atkins lifestyle but I couldn't imagine going without the beloved carbs. At any rate I decided to give it a shot. The first week was a little rough but I didn't succumb to the urges. Thr frst 10 days it was amazing to me what happened. 19 pounds gone. The pain in my joints? Gone! Fatigue and being too tired to think in the afternoon? Gone. I was able to keep it up religiously for 8 months. I lost a total of 90 pounds and brought my glucose, which was running as high as 600 untreated) down to the 80's without Metformin or the like. Once I got past the first month I didn't have any real desires for the foods that were left behind. After a year or so I hit a plateau and the weight loss pretty much leveled off. It works but getting started is hard. You really have to make up your mind. The key is to not eat a lot all at once, though you will still lose weight doing that. It works far more effectively if you eat smaller meals throughout the day.

moose

Veteran Expediter
O.K, which liquid minerals?, where to get it?, Google say it can becomes expensive, so where can we get it on the cheap side?, link please to an online store...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Turtle, I followed your link to the original Dr. Atkins book. It's like $7...pretty cheap information even you don't want to do it...imo.

My question is (i also searched Amazon for other Atkins products). Do you recommend any of the other books? I saw some with recipes, daily journals, food guides, etc. If any of the others are useful, I would get them all at once.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've never read any of the other books (other than the new one that I don't recommend at all), so I can't really recommend for or against any of the others. But, a daily journal will certainly help some people keep better track off what they're eating, and recipes are always handy to have if for nothing else to give you ideas of what all you can eat and portion size. The original book makes a good reference book, but an updated food guide might be very handy, too.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Well the day they TRY and force me out of the drivers seat Im going to hold my driving record forth and ask every examiner there CAN YOU MATCH IT...Im a fat guy, have been since my fortys, bald, fat and SAFE...and If you believe all the BS the Sleep LOBBY and Industry is bringing forth then why arent EVERY SINGLE DRIVER OF A VEHICLE, being forced to be tested etc, its because TRUCKERS make money and its a ripe pool of cash....several of the clinics that specialize in PHYSICALS, Dont make me laugh are in the business of forcing any CDL holder even though there is no LAW, MANDATE, REGULATION Etc in place to take Sleep Apnea tests, 3000.00 BAM insurance or not, then they want you to use the machine, another 500.00 and supplies, and have checkups and on and on....

Yes I understand that sleep apnea is an issue for some, frankly my best freind had it they put him on a machine and he died shortly there after...after surviving NAM and a career in the military...I think the CONGRESS, The DO NOTHING Congress and the FMCSA arent one bit interested in saftey, how many dollar bills are you willing to spend to drive...My Driving record, a darn perfect record should speak for itself, but because Im Fat Im Dangerous, Im a risk, Im a BLAH BLAH BLAH..

REGULATIONS that isnt improving this industry, its drivers or its pay....but then why would they pay us better, after all we have spent many years honing skills driving, managing money, freight, our selves and suddenly were DANGEROUS.,...

Bung of hogwash, Snake oil, Mr Feelgood thats making Phillips, Resmed, GE and many others BILLIONS OF DOLLARS, because the lobbys that are bought and paid for by this Industry.
FMCSA and the ridiculous sleep apnea running good drivers out of business so they can make a few bucks, HOGWASH

Deville

Not a Member
Gotta do the cardio. Bottom line C A R D I O!

I am guilty of going on extended stretchs where I'll do my regular routine but not cardio but I don't have time. Than I start looking a little bloated & I get back to it. But it's tough. I even have a little gym set up in my house, Bike, stair master, a couple of dumbells with about 60 pounds of weight & an exercise ball. I should be up there now doing a 15-25 minute routine before bed, but instead i'm down stairs talking to you peiople.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm on day four with no bread, pasta, or refined sugar. I'm actually proud of myself for not snapping yet. Although I'm not a very fun guy to be around these days. I'm very cranky. I also gave up my 4 cigarettes a day. No cigs since last Friday. I'm also further reducing my food intake. I'm also taking Turtle's advice and eating less food on shorter intervals. I'm slowly easing my way into the proper stage of induction. Now all I need to do is find an exercise bike and a cheap weight set. I'm gonna try and rehabilitate myself so that I can get another van next year and come back to work on the road. Then I can take all of your freight from you!

TropixBum

Active Expediter
Well the day they TRY and force me out of the drivers seat Im going to hold my driving record forth and ask every examiner there CAN YOU MATCH IT...Im a fat guy, have been since my fortys, bald, fat and SAFE...

PearlPro. I'm in the same boat as you. A couple years ago was told by our company doctor I had to take the sleep apnea test to pass my DOT physical. I refused because at the time it was not a mandate by the government. between the company and myself, I did 3 DOT exams in 2 months. Passed everything no problem. Just wasn't going to do the sleep apnea test. I was then forced to, to keep my job. Was told to go to the clinic and pick it up. take it home and use it for 2 days and take it back to the clinic...........So that's what I did begrudgingly. I went by and picked it up and took it home. Wired my wife up with it and went to sleep. :rolleyes: Well..........I passed. :cool:

TropixBum

Active Expediter
O.K, which liquid minerals?, where to get it?, Google say it can becomes expensive, so where can we get it on the cheap side?, link please to an online store...

Moose I agree that it can get expensive. The minerals I used were MAJESTIC EARTH ULTIMATE TANGY TANGERINE. But I can testify that it works. Coming off of a lot of my meds can testify to that. Remember you didn't get the way you are overnight and your not going to change it overnight either. There are other liquid minerals out there for a lower price. Just do a search on Amazon for them. I have used them as well with good results. Just check the reviews on them and go from there. Also just Google the benefits of liquid minerals to find out more info.

I know it was tough at first for me to make a change. But how I feel now was worth it and down the road I know this change in health will benefit me. I'm just more conscious of what I eat now. Sure throw a pizza or a Little Debbie cake in front of me and I'll turn into a happy kid in a candy store. I do still eat bad at times. Just not as much as I used to. Just be a little more conscious over what you eat that's all.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I've been doing the caveman thing recently, but I've read lately of the steak & egg plan, which is compatible with caveman and Atkins, but more specialized. You eat NOTHING but steak & eggs, twice a day, combine it with at least a little strength training, and the weight is supposed to fall off. Thinking of trying that.