Issues Facing CDL Holders

zorry

Veteran Expediter
How about a team ?
I get to think about paying twice.

Diet time.

How about some more realistic BMIs ?
I have a skinny, younger friend that passed his physical, had two beers at the local pub, and went home only to die washing up for dinner. A dispatcher that kept his CDL.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well I'll personally attest to the fact that being 100 pounds overweight has given me a massive snoring problem. That right there can be interpreted as sleep apnea. If your neck gets too big, or your BMI gets to be too high, your tonsils get fatter and choke off your air supply when you are sleeping. People aren't meant to be heavy. I'm on day two of the Atkins diet and well on my way to losing 100 pounds by the end of summer. Got the weight set coming soon as well as an exercise bike.

My doctor has been getting upset with my inability to lose weight. My current BMI is almost 41! That is a big problem. Sure there are skinnier people with severe health problem; possibly due to bad genetics, but being big can cause one to have even greater health issues. As you all know I've been a big proponent of "eat whatever you want and just die when it's your time" but that has all changed now that I've got mobility issues. Don't wait until you have a major medical event before you begin to change your lifestyle.

You don't have to go overboard with the exercise routine either if you go on a low carb diet. I am eating 7 eggs with 4 cubes of cheese, a half a cup of red and green bell peppers mixes together in an omelet, along with 8 pieces of fried bacon for breakfast. For dinner I eat two 85 percent lien hamburger paddies with 1 slice of cheese on each, there tomatoes on each, a mixture of mayonnaise and sugar free mustard for sauce, and I wrap them in lettuce. For snacks I will eat a couple pieces of salami, or a lettuce wrapped roast beef sandwich with tomato, or a few pieces of cheese and nuts. I can eat all of the proteins that I want and I get full fast. Also, this diet doesn't feel like I'm cheating myself out of food.

Bread, flour, refined sugar, and pasta have absolutely no nutritional value and should be removed from everyone's diet. There are Native Americans who get by on deer meat, rabbit meat, and buffalo meet, a few nuts and berries, and almost no carbohydrates whatsoever. They are in great physical health and end up living for a long time. All you have to do is discipline yourself! Drink your iced tea and coffee black. I know it's hard to imagine life without pizza, so pick a day or two a month where you eat a few slices of pizza, but maintain a strict diet plan the rest of the time.

With all of the governmental changes in healthcare, they are going to really persecute those of us who have higher BMI's. Some doctors won't even help you if you are overweight, or if you continue to smoke cigarettes. There was a lady all freaked out in the doctor's office because her back surgeon refused to operate on her until she stopped smoking. As of two days ago I also stopped smoking 4 cigarettes a day. I got a lecture from my doctor about the lung damage I have from the Pulmonary Embolism and how smoking and reaming overweight is counter-productive to my long term recovery! Please re-evaluate your situations and try and improve your quality of life.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I'm hardly a diet guru but I see all kinds of red flags with your diet. Seven eggs? I would think one or two would be enough. Bacon and cheese are generally no-no's if trying to lose weight I would think? Hamburger probably should be replaced with fish or turkey and mayonnaise is straight fat.
I think nuts are a high fat food as well....or at least some of them? Some one can chime in on that. Don't get me wrong, I am hardly a perfect weight but I see some places you might want to consider some adjustments. Especially if you are trying to lose weight.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My wife is pretty up on that stuff. She almost dropped the phone on the breakfast.
We discussed it and that is how it works.
The quantities are too large. Sounds like a cardiologist, looking for work, suggested it,IMHO.

My wife says AT LEAST HE HAS A PLAN.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
one more reason to drive a sprinter, no cdl required
no hours of service , but i still run like i log it, run 10 hour's and stop
test runs about $2,500 and up
if you are able to use the va i would go there to get it done
we have some good deal's on sprinters
give me pm and tell ya more about sprinters

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm hardly a diet guru but I see all kinds of red flags with your diet. Seven eggs? I would think one or two would be enough. Bacon and cheese are generally no-no's if trying to lose weight I would think? Hamburger probably should be replaced with fish or turkey and mayonnaise is straight fat.
I think nuts are a high fat food as well....or at least some of them? Some one can chime in on that. Don't get me wrong, I am hardly a perfect weight but I see some places you might want to consider some adjustments. Especially if you are trying to lose weight.

Contrary to popular indoctrination, fat doesn't make you fat. Restricting fat intake and calories does more damage than restricting carbs. Low fat/low calorie diets all wreck havoc with insulin and other hormones, and it's why Type II diabetes is at pandemic proportions in the US and around the world. The Food Pyramid was invented by the USDA, and for nearly 50 years the biggest part of that pyramid was grain-based - corn, breads, etc. A Food Pyramid promoting the very thing the USDA has a self-interest in. Go figure. Grains are what makes cows fat, BTW.

If you eat nothing but fat and protein you will lose weight, and a lot of it. The most potent fat storing hormone, insulin, triggers different enzymes and other hormones to regulate the storage of fat. When eating just fat, say, a meal consisting of 2 sticks of butter, maybe 10% of that gets used in the body and the rest is expelled as unneeded. But, if you eat lots of fat combined with carbs, it becomes a significant problem, because carbs trigger 3 other hormones that store fat, and those hormones along with insulin just go fat-storing crazy.

When you combine fat and carbohydrates together, two different energy sources, the insulin will take precedence over the other hormones to process the carbs, and the other hormones simply take the leftovers, the fat, and store it as fat. It's even more pronounced when the fat is animal fat, because insulin is required in order to process it, and the insulin is already busy handling the carbs. So, eating fat and carbs together, unless it's one of the healthy fats (olive and nut oils, mainly) is a really bad idea.

There are two issues that I see with Blizzard's version of Atkins. Well, three, actually. One is portion control. Two, he clearly hasn't read the book and doesn't know that nuts are definitely not part of Phase 1 and he doesn't know how to count the carbs or how many carbs per day he is allowed. Between the peppers, cheese and tomatoes, he's likely way over his daily allotment for Phase 1. Yes, cheese has lots of protein, but every slice or cube is 1 carb. The carbs need to be meticulously counted and written down. No exceptions. Three, the mistaken notion that you can eat all the protein (and fat) you want without eating the proper amount of vegetables. This means salads, lot and lots of salads. 2 or 3 cups a day (not per sitting) of salad vegetables. Not just lettuce wrapped around some meat or some bell peppers thrown into an omelet. It means salads as the main course with perhaps a little diced chicken or crumbled bacon on top. Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats should be eaten in moderation, not only because many of them are cured with added sugar, which must be counted in the carbs count, but also because they often have added salt and nitrates.

He also isn't eating the right foods to get the proper vitamins (vitamin supplements are supposed to be just that, supplements to the vitamins you get from food, they are not replacements for eating foods which contain little or no vitamins). Before you begin the Atkins Diet it's imperative that you read the book, all of it, from cover to cover, and then start the diet. There are things in the middle and the end of the book that you need to know about when first starting the diet. Don't get it piecemeal off the Internet, read the book.

Another reason I know he hasn't read the book is, "so pick a day or two a month where you eat a few slices of pizza, but maintain a strict diet plan the rest of the time." Anyone who's read the book knows that's implicitly and expressly a no-no. Periodic "cheating" with carbs like pizza induces your body to become insulin resistant, and in order to counteract that induction, you have to go back to Day One of Atkins Induction and start all over as if you've never been on the diet at all. But you can only do that a few times before you body says fuggetaboutit. If you wanna "cheat" it must be done with a natural, non-processed carb, like an orange. Certainly not pizza dough.

One of the keys to Atkins, and any diet high in fat, is eating copious amounts of fiber along with it. All the eggs and bacon in the world are meaningless (and can even be more damaging than the carbs) without fiber. Iceberg lettuce has even less nutritional value than flour, sugar and pasta, so eating a hunk of meat wrapped in an iceberg lettuce leaf doesn't give you anywhere near the proper amount of fiber or vitamins that is required for this diet. A low carb burger wrapped in Romain would be better. A 7-egg omelet is not watching portion control. 7 eggs in a day is fine, just not all at once in one sitting, especially when combined with peppers and half a slab of bacon.

The Atkins book highly stresses portion control. Eat often, 5-8 times a day, but in small portions only. Eating a large portion, even one of healthy eggs (yes, they are healthy for you, despite the rampant misinformation in the media about cholesterol), will cause the body's metabolism to slow down, which increases insulin resistance, which causes all that fat to be stored, which is the very thing Atkins is trying to reverse.

If you read the book you'll know the overall big picture of what Atkins is. It's not an all-you-can-eat meat-and-cheese baconpaloosa, it's all about eating the proper foods, natural nutrient dense foods, in the right proportions. Atkins starts out dramatically restricting carbs and portions to shock the body into once again properly processing the calories you are eating. Later you begin to add more carbs, but the right kind from the right sources. Eventually you add plenty of carbs back to your daily diet, but all the carbs are of the proper kind. By the time you get to Phase 3 and Phase 4, you will have learned how to eat properly, and why.

I do wish you luck with Atkins, Bliz. But please read the book. Actually, I recommend the book to anyone, whether they are interested i the diet or not. There's a ton of very good information in there about nutrition and eating right. It's not even The Atkins Diet, officially it's called The Atkins Nutritional Approach, and for good reason.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lots of money in sleep apnea.
They needed an excuse ?

You hit the nail on the head and drove it home!

Im sure someone high up in the FMCSA has some financial benefits as well.
As I always say when there is a new mandate that is not clearly safety related, FOLLOW THE MONEY..

Bob Wolf

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Contrary to popular indoctrination, fat doesn't make you fat. Restricting fat intake and calories does more damage than restricting carbs. Low fat/low calorie diets all wreck havoc with insulin and other hormones, and it's why Type II diabetes is at pandemic proportions in the US and around the world. The Food Pyramid was invented by the USDA, and for nearly 50 years the biggest part of that pyramid was grain-based - corn, breads, etc. A Food Pyramid promoting the very thing the USDA has a self-interest in. Go figure. Grains are what makes cows fat, BTW.

If you eat nothing but fat and protein you will lose weight, and a lot of it. The most potent fat storing hormone, insulin, triggers different enzymes and other hormones to regulate the storage of fat. When eating just fat, say, a meal consisting of 2 sticks of butter, maybe 10% of that gets used in the body and the rest is expelled as unneeded. But, if you eat lots of fat combined with carbs, it becomes a significant problem, because carbs trigger 3 other hormones that store fat, and those hormones along with insulin just go fat-storing crazy.

When you combine fat and carbohydrates together, two different energy sources, the insulin will take precedence over the other hormones to process the carbs, and the other hormones simply take the leftovers, the fat, and store it as fat. It's even more pronounced when the fat is animal fat, because insulin is required in order to process it, and the insulin is already busy handling the carbs. So, eating fat and carbs together, unless it's one of the healthy fats (olive and nut oils, mainly) is a really bad idea.

There are two issues that I see with Blizzard's version of Atkins. Well, three, actually. One is portion control. Two, he clearly hasn't read the book and doesn't know that nuts are definitely not part of Phase 1 and he doesn't know how to count the carbs or how many carbs per day he is allowed. Between the peppers, cheese and tomatoes, he's likely way over his daily allotment for Phase 1. Yes, cheese has lots of protein, but every slice or cube is 1 carb. The carbs need to be meticulously counted and written down. No exceptions. Three, the mistaken notion that you can eat all the protein (and fat) you want without eating the proper amount of vegetables. This means salads, lot and lots of salads. 2 or 3 cups a day (not per sitting) of salad vegetables. Not just lettuce wrapped around some meat or some bell peppers thrown into an omelet. It means salads as the main course with perhaps a little diced chicken or crumbled bacon on top. Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats should be eaten in moderation, not only because many of them are cured with added sugar, which must be counted in the carbs count, but also because they often have added salt and nitrates.

He also isn't eating the right foods to get the proper vitamins (vitamin supplements are supposed to be just that, supplements to the vitamins you get from food, they are not replacements for eating foods which contain little or no vitamins). Before you begin the Atkins Diet it's imperative that you read the book, all of it, from cover to cover, and then start the diet. There are things in the middle and the end of the book that you need to know about when first starting the diet. Don't get it piecemeal off the Internet, read the book.

Another reason I know he hasn't read the book is, "so pick a day or two a month where you eat a few slices of pizza, but maintain a strict diet plan the rest of the time." Anyone who's read the book knows that's implicitly and expressly a no-no. Periodic "cheating" with carbs like pizza induces your body to become insulin resistant, and in order to counteract that induction, you have to go back to Day One of Atkins Induction and start all over as if you've never been on the diet at all. But you can only do that a few times before you body says fuggetaboutit. If you wanna "cheat" it must be done with a natural, non-processed carb, like an orange. Certainly not pizza dough.

One of the keys to Atkins, and any diet high in fat, is eating copious amounts of fiber along with it. All the eggs and bacon in the world are meaningless (and can even be more damaging than the carbs) without fiber. Iceberg lettuce has even less nutritional value than flour, sugar and pasta, so eating a hunk of meat wrapped in an iceberg lettuce leaf doesn't give you anywhere near the proper amount of fiber or vitamins that is required for this diet. A low carb burger wrapped in Romain would be better. A 7-egg omelet is not watching portion control. 7 eggs in a day is fine, just not all at once in one sitting, especially when combined with peppers and half a slab of bacon.

The Atkins book highly stresses portion control. Eat often, 5-8 times a day, but in small portions only. Eating a large portion, even one of healthy eggs (yes, they are healthy for you, despite the rampant misinformation in the media about cholesterol), will cause the body's metabolism to slow down, which increases insulin resistance, which causes all that fat to be stored, which is the very thing Atkins is trying to reverse.

If you read the book you'll know the overall big picture of what Atkins is. It's not an all-you-can-eat meat-and-cheese baconpaloosa, it's all about eating the proper foods, natural nutrient dense foods, in the right proportions. Atkins starts out dramatically restricting carbs and portions to shock the body into once again properly processing the calories you are eating. Later you begin to add more carbs, but the right kind from the right sources. Eventually you add plenty of carbs back to your daily diet, but all the carbs are of the proper kind. By the time you get to Phase 3 and Phase 4, you will have learned how to eat properly, and why.

I do wish you luck with Atkins, Bliz. But please read the book. Actually, I recommend the book to anyone, whether they are interested i the diet or not. There's a ton of very good information in there about nutrition and eating right. It's not even The Atkins Diet, officially it's called The Atkins Nutritional Approach, and for good reason.

Well let's just call my diet eliminating all processed sugars, pasta, and flower from my diet intake. Also, I'm not going to 20 net carbs as stated in the induction phase. I am going between 50 and 90 carbs a day. I'm not looking to lose weight rapidly. I'm looking to lose it steadily over time. Add the now bread, pasta, and refined sugar with a pretty strenuous weight lifting routine one day and exercise bike for cardio the next, and I will turn fat into muscle. Also, I'm a lifer on blood thinners, so there are many types of green leafy vegetables that I can't eat because they contain vitamin K.

Iceberg lettuce has a vary low amount of nutrients "including vitamin K" which makes it the only lettuce that I can use for my lettuce wraps. Ideally romain lettuce would be better, but I don't want to mess with my INR levels. I can't afford another blood clot. My portion sizes are big, but I only eat two meals a day. Even when you count the calories from the 7 eggs, the 8 bacons, the hamburgers, the cheese, and everything else, I'm still under 1500 calories for the day!

My sister in law merely removed all bread from her diet and lost 60 pounds in three months. She didn't even follow the Atkins diet. All she did was stop eating bread, pasta, rice, and sugar. Also, you ain't gonna have heart problems if you aren't genetically disposed to these types of illnesses. I have been eating a crap diet for 37 years and my cholesterol and blood sugar are in normal range. Like I said, bread is not necessary. Also I do take a fiber supplement and a multi-vitamin.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It does not have to be complicated. When I started eating less and exercising more, the pounds came off and I felt better. There are lots of things you can do but why make it more difficult than it needs to be?

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have lost 90 lbs on Atkins in about 6 months. I stay on the induction phase because I like it. After the first two to three weeks, you stop craving carbs and you have way more energy. The carbs make you feel bloated. When you eat this way, you never feel bloated after a meal, but you always feel full. You also start to eat less because your cravings are gone and it takes less to feel full. If I go off of the diet for any one thing, it takes about five days to get your body back into Ketosis, so it's not a good idea to do it. Also, I made the mistake of trying to eat more protein than fat, which slowed my process. You have to eat the fat when you can in order for your body to continue to burn the fat stored. It sounds crazy, but this has been the best diet (which is really a life style change) that I have been on. All of my blood work has been great. It even lowers your cholesterol when you would think that would be impossible with all the eggs you consume. I also eat a big breakfast of eggs, sausage, and or bacon, because it gives me the needed fat for the day. If you give me a PM with your email address, I can send you a summary of all the things I have learned with recipes and ideas that you might like. I have two buddies I worked with at the Sheriff's department on it now. One has lost 14 lbs in two weeks, and the other has lost almost 30 lbs in about five weeks. I also forgot one thing, Turtle is right about the amount of fiber you have to consume, it plays a big part in losing the weight. I have a great recipe for a pumpkin muffin that is made with flax meal and you make it in a coffee cup in a microwave for 3 minutes. All of your trucks are equipped with a microwave. Plus you get to put as much butter on it as you want, how can that be a bad thing.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I lost forty pounds once, inspired by Jarrod.
Oatmeal,dry toast, juice for breakfast. Subway veggie sandwiches for lunch and dinner.
Walked about 45 minutes per day. Every fourth day I eat normal dinner. Whatever looked good.
Got real busy at work and got back to old bad habits.
Good luck to you, Blizzard.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well let's just call my diet eliminating all processed sugars, pasta, and flower from my diet intake.
Probably better to say that, than to say you're on the Atkins Diet. :D

Actually, you could say you've eliminated anything white from your diet. Which isn't a bad way to approach eating at all.

Also, I'm not going to 20 net carbs as stated in the induction phase. I am going between 50 and 90 carbs a day. I'm not looking to lose weight rapidly.
100 pounds by the end of the summer is considered rapidly. Staying between 50-90 carbs will not even come close to throwing your body into Ketosis, and unless you jump-start your body that way, it'll take much longer than you want to lose the weight. On the other hand, you didn't put on all those extra pounds in 4 months, so it's probably not a good idea to try and lose it that fast, anyway.

Also, I'm a lifer on blood thinners, so there are many types of green leafy vegetables that I can't eat because they contain vitamin K.
Yep, that's a definite consideration. My stepdad is on coumadin and there's a really long list of stuff he can't eat. Unfortunately most of the things on that lost are very good for you.

Iceberg lettuce has a vary low amount of nutrients "including vitamin K" which makes it the only lettuce that I can use for my lettuce wraps. Ideally romain lettuce would be better, but I don't want to mess with my INR levels. I can't afford another blood clot.
I don't blame you one bit. But you just need to make sure you get plenty of fiber somehow, even if it's gulping down Metamucil every day.

My portion sizes are big, but I only eat two meals a day.
Big portions, one or two a day, that's the surest road to obesity, no matter how many refined carbs you eliminate. It slows your metabolism to a crawl, even if you exercise like crazy, and sets up insulin resistance. Eat less more often.

Even when you count the calories from the 7 eggs, the 8 bacons, the hamburgers, the cheese, and everything else, I'm still under 1500 calories for the day!
I dunno. 60 calories in an egg (7=420), 42 in 1 slice of bacon (8=336), 96 in a slice or a cube of cheese(4 cubes and 2 slices=576), 30 in a cup of bell peppers (½ cup=15), another 20 for a tomato(20), 330 in a 4-ounce hamburger patty (2=660, and I'm assuming both of yours are closer to 8 ounces each, and if so that's 1320 calories just for the hamburger). You're at 2100 calories not including the mayonnaise and "everything else" like the salami, nuts and whatever.

My sister in law merely removed all bread from her diet and lost 60 pounds in three months. She didn't even follow the Atkins diet. All she did was stop eating bread, pasta, rice, and sugar.
For some people it's just that easy. Depends on many factors, though.

Also, you ain't gonna have heart problems if you aren't genetically disposed to these types of illnesses.
Apparently, the human race is genetically predisposed to these types of illness, because heart disease is the number one killer, and it's almost certainly due to diet, because up until 50 years ago it wasn't.

I have been eating a crap diet for 37 years and my cholesterol and blood sugar are in normal range.
Mine was, too, right up until it wasn't.

Like I said, bread is not necessary. Also I do take a fiber supplement and a multi-vitamin.
The way I look at it, carbs are what you put the good stuff on in order to eat it. Use a plate instead. :D

Read bigdogg's post carefully. There's some good information in there. It'll mean more if you read the Atkins book, even if you don't want to go on the diet itself. It tells you how to pick and choose your foods for the right reasons, and why.

I want to stress again, one or two large meals a day is not the way to do it. I know, I've done that most of my life. That's been the hardest part of having to loose weight, for a lot of reasons, but being diagnosed with diabetes is the primary one. I used the same reasoning and rationalizations you did, "Sure, it looks like a lot, but I only eat once a day!" That's what got me to 300 pounds and Type II diabetes, not so much as what I was eating, but the fact that didn't eat often enough. You eat a large meal once or twice a day and your body knows to pace itself, in this case at a really slow pace.

As a general rule, don't go more than 4 waking hours without eating something, even if it's just an apple or a banana or a handful (not a Jethro Bodine bowl full, but a handful) of nuts or olives. Eat something even if you're not hungry, in fact, especially if you're not hungry. Eating a small amount of food while you're not hungry helps speed up your metabolism. Don't sit there and eat until you're full. Eat a normal portion, wait 4 hours, eat something again. :)

Read the book. Might as well. It'll give you something to do between those 4 hour waits. :D

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Probably better to say that, than to say you're on the Atkins Diet. :D

Actually, you could say you've eliminated anything white from your diet. Which isn't a bad way to approach eating at all.

100 pounds by the end of the summer is considered rapidly. Staying between 50-90 carbs will not even come close to throwing your body into Ketosis, and unless you jump-start your body that way, it'll take much longer than you want to lose the weight. On the other hand, you didn't put on all those extra pounds in 4 months, so it's probably not a good idea to try and lose it that fast, anyway.

Yep, that's a definite consideration. My stepdad is on coumadin and there's a really long list of stuff he can't eat. Unfortunately most of the things on that lost are very good for you.

I don't blame you one bit. But you just need to make sure you get plenty of fiber somehow, even if it's gulping down Metamucil every day.

Big portions, one or two a day, that's the surest road to obesity, no matter how many refined carbs you eliminate. It slows your metabolism to a crawl, even if you exercise like crazy, and sets up insulin resistance. Eat less more often.

I dunno. 60 calories in an egg (7=420), 42 in 1 slice of bacon (8=336), 96 in a slice or a cube of cheese(4 cubes and 2 slices=576), 30 in a cup of bell peppers (½ cup=15), another 20 for a tomato(20), 330 in a 4-ounce hamburger patty (2=660, and I'm assuming both of yours are closer to 8 ounces each, and if so that's 1320 calories just for the hamburger). You're at 2100 calories not including the mayonnaise and "everything else" like the salami, nuts and whatever.

For some people it's just that easy. Depends on many factors, though.

Apparently, the human race is genetically predisposed to these types of illness, because heart disease is the number one killer, and it's almost certainly due to diet, because up until 50 years ago it wasn't.

Mine was, too, right up until it wasn't.

The way I look at it, carbs are what you put the good stuff on in order to eat it. Use a plate instead. :D

Read bigdogg's post carefully. There's some good information in there. It'll mean more if you read the Atkins book, even if you don't want to go on the diet itself. It tells you how to pick and choose your foods for the right reasons, and why.

I want to stress again, one or two large meals a day is not the way to do it. I know, I've done that most of my life. That's been the hardest part of having to loose weight, for a lot of reasons, but being diagnosed with diabetes is the primary one. I used the same reasoning and rationalizations you did, "Sure, it looks like a lot, but I only eat once a day!" That's what got me to 300 pounds and Type II diabetes, not so much as what I was eating, but the fact that didn't eat often enough. You eat a large meal once or twice a day and your body knows to pace itself, in this case at a really slow pace.

As a general rule, don't go more than 4 waking hours without eating something, even if it's just an apple or a banana or a handful (not a Jethro Bodine bowl full, but a handful) of nuts or olives. Eat something even if you're not hungry, in fact, especially if you're not hungry. Eating a small amount of food while you're not hungry helps speed up your metabolism. Don't sit there and eat until you're full. Eat a normal portion, wait 4 hours, eat something again. :)

Read the book. Might as well. It'll give you something to do between those 4 hour waits. :D

Yeah, you're right. I didn't read the book. I'm too cheap to buy it. I'm just dabbling right now until I get this thing to work better. I've been reading diet plans from others who have been doing just the low carb diet. I have big problems with portion control. I continue to stuff myself silly even after I am full to the max. My brain just keeps on screaming eat, eat, eat. I was never like this 10 years ago. I somehow developed an unnatural craving for food. Also I tried the Jarrod Subway diet. I have to eat one foot long per sitting just to feel full. I wasn't very happy in that diet. Today I'm craving a nice bottle of coke like crazy. My brain is going wild telling me that I need a nice large bottle of coke lol. I'll get past it. I'm also going to take some of your advice turtle and start eating every four hours. I'm not a structured person. I go to sleep and wake up at all different time of the day and night. That is why it is hard for me to maintain a steady schedule of eating. My goal is to look like a prion camp survivor by the end of this year. If this doesn't work I'm going to have switch to the banana diet. You know that 60MPH lost over a hundred pounds eating bananas, fiber supplements, and water? Any how, thanks for the advice.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I lost forty pounds once, inspired by Jarrod.
Oatmeal,dry toast, juice for breakfast. Subway veggie sandwiches for lunch and dinner.
Walked about 45 minutes per day. Every fourth day I eat normal dinner. Whatever looked good.
Got real busy at work and got back to old bad habits.
Good luck to you, Blizzard.

I tried that diet. I ended up going crazy after 4 days. I then ordered a large pizza, 24 chicken wings, and stuffed myself one night. Sometimes I wish I had never been introduced to sodas, chips, or pizza. But I'll have to make this current diet work for the long term. Thanks for the advice.