Irag

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I may take some heat on this but this is one of the few times I have exercised my position as a Moderator on EO. I was watching the posts that were coming on EO about the impending Irag mess and starting to see various well intentioned people starting to take sides and draw lines as too their respective positions. It was only a question of time until inflammatory statements started flying around. There are other Web Sites for that sort of stuff. This site is devoted to those of us that leave home at 2300,drive all night in terrible weather and hopefully arrive safely at our destination,to save the day for someone!s foul up.So I removed all of the Irag posts started by a well meaning concerned driver worrying and rightfully so about his future.But whatever happens lets all of us get along and respect each other!s opinions and keep thi site devoted to what Lawrence and his staff set out to do.Hope I didn!t get too many people Poed.

BULLRUSH

Expert Expediter
first of all i wasn't referring to anybody on this site i was just voicing my opinion on what we should do if we go to war and i was talking about the (NEGATIVE PROTEST OUR PRESIDENT WAS RECEIVING FROM THE PUBLIC AT LARGE AND NOBOBY FROM THIS SITE)1# I SAID HOW THIS WAR WOULD EFFECTING EVERY AMERICAN POCKET BOOK.2# I SAID WHAT THE USA SHOULD DO ABOUT IT. 3# I CRITIZED THE PROTESTERS RALLEYS AT LARGE. THERE WAS NO FOUL LANGUAGE USED AT LEASED FROM WHAT I READ ANYWAY. SO I DONT KNOW WHY YOU TOOK IT IN YOUR HANDS TO ERASE OUR POST. I GUESS WE CAN'T VOICE OUR OPINIONS. GRANTED IF FOUL LANGUAGE WAS USED OR INSULTS WERE SAID THEN I WOULDN'T BLAME YOU.THERE BEEN PEOPLE ARGUING WITH EACH OTHER AND I DONT SEE YOU TAKING ACTION AGAINST THEM. I DONT THINK ANYONE WAS TALKING ABOUT ANYBODY HERE ANYWAY HOW YOU THOUGHT OTHERWISE IS BEYOND ME. I'M SORRY IF YOU THOUGHT MY POST WAS OUT OF LINE. :eek:

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It wasn't anything personal, the messages were removed as they were extremely political in nature, and did not apply to the subject of expedited trucking. There are millions of political forums on the internet to carry on that sort of subject. Sorry!
-Weave-

BULLRUSH

Expert Expediter
OH I'M SORRY I DIDN'T KNOW EVERY TOPIC HAD TO BE ON EXPEDITING. I DIDNT KNOW THAT WAS A RULE.SO I GUESS YOUR GOING TO TAKE THAT PEPSI ARTICAL OUT TOO. }>

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Early to bed early to raise!!! Seams a lot of CBS went on last night.

Hi Bullrush! Rich pulled the post because he is looking back into the past. There has been many a post that got the drivers in an up roar over the smallest thing. Political views are one of those topics that do just that. Listen to your CB running down the road. As soon as someone starts talking about politics listen to all the drivers start to call each other out of name. The post that Rich pulled would end up just like the CB. I have witnesses members on this site that never participate on the forum for any reason, come out of the woodwork and get down right indignant about their political views. Rich didn’t pull the post because of anything anyone said. He pulled the post because of where it may have ended up. Hell I had input on that topic too, but oh well. Now you are doing exactly what Rich didn’t want anyone to do. I don’t even think that was your post, or was it? Just think if you direct all that energy into finding that MEMORANDUM you need, you may just find it!!! God Bless

Brandy

Expert Expediter
I didn't know that the subject "War, What Is It Good For?" that I posted would start such a heated debat.HeHeHe Rich I'm not mad at you, and Bullrush I'm sorry if my opinions offended you. Its just that when I heard that 308,000 Americans lost their jobs last month and so many billions were being spent on this war, I just had to say something. AGAIN I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY I AM SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE ABOUT NOT LIKE PRESIDENT BUSH, OR THE FACT THAT WE'RE GOING TO WAR. Rich you cooled down a topic that was getting out of control. Thanks.

Sean

BULLRUSH

Expert Expediter
BRANDY THERE WAS NOTHING THAT YOU SAID THAT ANGRED ME. I DONT KNOW IF IT WAS MY POST THAT THEY ARE REFERRING TO.I WAS TOLD THAT ALL ARTICALS WERE ERASED BECAUSE THEY HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH EXPEDITING. I CAN LIVE WITH THAT IF THAT WAS THE CASE. I THINK THE PEPSI ARTICLE SHOULD OF BEEN ERASE TO IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH EXPEDITING. I JUST DONT THINK IT'S RIGHT JUST BECAUSE 1 PERSON DOESN'T LIKE A SUBJECT HE SHOULD PUT HIS AUTHORITY OVER IT. HECK I WOULD NEVER DO THAT TO SOMEONE.IT LEAVES AN IMPRESSION THAT IF I DONT LIKE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING I'M GOING TO ERASE YOU AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. NOW IF FOUL LANGUAGE WAS USED OR IF A PERSON WAS INSULTING ANOTHER OR PERVERSED I CAN SEE IT BUT NOT BECAUSE YOU THINK IT MIGHT BECOME A HEATED DEBATE.THERE WERE NO BATTLE LINES BEING DRAWNED.ALL THE ARTICALS THAT I READ INCLUDING MINE WAS JUST OPINIONATED OF WHAT SHOULD BE DONE AND THATS IT.IF THERE ARE SUBJECTS THAT ARE NOT ALLOWED THEY SHOULD BE POSTED SO PEOPLE DONT GET OFFENDED. PS I AM NOT LEASED BIT MAD AT ANYBODY I'M JUST GIVING MY OPINIONS THATS ALL. I DO HAVE A ? WOULD THE TERM (LOTTLIZARD) BE AN TRUCKING TOPIC? HOPE EVERYBODY IS STAYING BUSY SEE YA LATER BULLRUSH

bosn004

Expert Expediter
Hello all,
I'am a long time reader and first time participant in your forum. There have been very few posts that have even tempted me to reply; however, this I could'nt resist.This forum has been very enlightening to many a folk interested in our industry. Anyone who thinks the political condition of this country does not affect our business is sadly mistaken. Having said that, where esle but this sight can a group of professional colleagues goe to have a civil debate on something so devistatingly important to our exsistance. Regaurdless of what your political views, Please support our troups as they stand ready to lay down their lives for our freedom. I look forward to future participation in your group.

Bill S.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Rich,

What you did in capacity as moderator was exactly right. This is a place to talk about expedited trucking, not politics or religon for that matter. There are plenty of website operators dying for that type of discourse on their websites. This is not the place. If I were still a moderator I would have done exactly as you did.

I was in a chatroom for Freemason on yahoo the other night and a fellow came in and started talking about the war, politics in general. It wound up in a big fight. No one there was chatting for that purpose, but everyone has views and when prevoked (No matter which side you support)started argueing. People there was trying to have a lighthearted conversation and learn about masonry, not discuss geopolitics.

Yes this is a open forum. There is free speech here. but with limits. If you went to church and wanted to speak about football would you be welcomed? the answer is no. You have a right to your opnion but use it somewhere that people want to discuss the same topic. use some common sense. Chances are, if you go to a site about recipes and posts questions about WWE wrestling they would be deleted to.

I happen to know Lawrence, Rich, Weave all hate deleting posts. behind the scenes moderators usually discuss with each other certain posts to see if the other believes what that person says should be deleted. And in the case I was privy to it was always about language or something that could get On time media sued...etc. Its not part of the job anyone likes.

Yes the constitution says you have a right to free speech, but it says nothing about us having to hear it (and don't emailing me telling you it is your right to be heard. It reads the goverment Can't legislate laws depriving you of free speech, doesn't effect the actions of citizens) And it also doesn't cover 1. Obsentity (nuff said) 2. fighting words 3. and words to disrupt the flow of normalcy (picture yelling fire in a crowded theatre)

It boils down to this. This is a place to talk about expediting. And light hearted conversation that will not cause incitement. If things like this are not delted with by the powers that be it would be anarchy! Most people would quit visiting this site and Lawrence and Jeff might lose all they they have worked hard for these last few years. And the expediting community would lose a valuable asset of information. then we all lose.

Bill Hosler

bosn004

Expert Expediter
It appears that the removal of the Iraq Statements have caused far more controvery that the original posts. I was impressed that the Iraq posts were done in better taste ,than many responses in the past, which belittled or ridiculed the original poster. Those are the posts that are offensive and keep many professional expediters from participating in the forums. I believe that if you express your opinion in a mature manner we can have an intelligent debate on any subject. The transportaion industry is a large voting group and could have a great deal of influence in the future of politics in this country. Politics do effect our industry as does this threat of war. Please support and pray for the safety of our troups that give us the right to express ourselves.

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It was a pre-emptive strike. The topic,as I recall, started out with reference to how this all affected expediting,or at least 1 expediters job. Last time I was able to read,I saw nothing offensive,however,the discourse may well have gone south.Again, I can only speak of what I saw,but removing the post before then was acting on a hypothetical,regardless of how probable. I am obviously not in charge, but would prefer the benifit of the doubt. Our jobs certainly are affected by the economy,which is closely related to politics and the possibility of war,especially with regard to fuel prices,which undeniably effects all our bottom lines.It is as relevent and apprpriate as many other topics I have read here.Bottom line, it's not my site,and you can do with it what you wish.IMHO,as long as the discussion remains civil,it should stay posted. Ther were enough replies to indicate interest from some members of this forum. If it had gotton offensive,then, by all means, remove it. Whatever happens,let's all of us get along and RESPECT EACH OTHERS OPINIONS.(caps are for emphasis only,not to indicate a shout).

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Welcome to the wonders of being a moderator. I feel for you. I can still remember back to the days when Wendy was a moderator here on EO, and it came time to make a choice about what to do. All you can do is, make your moves based on what you feel is right.

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
Rich,
What you did in capacity as moderator was exactly right. This is a place to talk about expedited trucking, not politics or religon for that matter.

Wild Bill, your last reply started as above. Notice the key words "politics or religion". Summed up, the Pepsi article has to do with religion and God and faith. If this is no place to talk about war, and how it affects our business(fuel prices, economy, etc.), then this is no place for religion or the pepsi article. I think it would be fair to remove that subject and all others that have been posted in the past that have absolutely nothing to do with trucking.
That pepsi article has no effect on the expediting industry. Please be fair, instead of picking and choosing based upon personal interests.

RobZip

Expert Expediter
>Yes the constitution says you have a right to free speech,
>but it says nothing about us having to hear it (and don't
>emailing me telling you it is your right to be heard. It
>reads the goverment Can't legislate laws depriving
>you of free speech, doesn't effect the actions of citizens)
>And it also doesn't cover 1. Obsentity (nuff said) 2.
>fighting words 3. and words to disrupt the flow of normalcy
>(picture yelling fire in a crowded theatre)

This forum, much like your favorite pub is open to the public, yet remains privately owned. The moderators or anyone connected with the hosting of this site have sole discretion as to what they will permit to take place here.

At this point I haven't seen anybody indignantly try to claim their constitutional right to free speech. In support of the post I'm replying to, the forum operators and mods have the last word on what goes and what doesn't. I read the original post and while there was really nothing wrong with it, the possibility of it turning into an off topic flame fest was pretty high. It just gets that way when you charge an issue up with political elements.

roadkill

Expert Expediter
Welcome to the new EO coming from downtown Baghdad, were we explain to you in a nice way why we CENSOR your posts.

x(