Indiana Closing 6 rest areas

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
According to Landline, 6 Indiana rest areas will be closing in Jan.

I just love this particular statement: :mad:

"According to the INDOT release, the need for rest areas has diminished because “private companies have opened truck stops, gas stations and restaurants along the way that cater to today’s motorists.”

Just makes me wonder how many of them "cater" to semi's

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I kinda agree with closing them...don't tell my wife that....hehehe

but 6 has to equate to over a million dollars a year of taxpayer money to operate....there a lot of stops and store struggling to stay open and this added truck traffic they might just be able to stay open....truckers might buy a coffee donut anything and the tax revenue collected will help the state instead of drain the state....
A comparison would be the RV'ers at the J....can't move in some lots because the Rv'ers have swamped the place, because they can stay free instead of supporting the local RV parks and creating income and jobs for people and valuable tax revenue...

Reactions: Wags

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Can't agree, OVM. It's more than just stopping for coffee and/or bathrooms for the big trucks - they need places to park during their mandatory 10 hr breaks, and there aren't enough as it is. Reworking the rest areas, eliminating the 4 wheeler parking to expand the truck parking is the logical choice, but money is the perennial problem. State & federal governments know how to spend money, but not wisely, as there's never enough to provide what our taxes are supposed to cover.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry..the taxpayers of the great state of Indiana shouldn't have to pay for anyones pee break....they should maybe look at more of what the toll road has and that is truck only areas....I notice they are huge lots, no toilets, just parking.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Easy to say when you can pull up to a gas station and wizz, OVM.

BTW, Gov of IN... how's that I-69 extension coming? Don't tell me you blew all that money from the toll road sale already. Nah... you wouldn't do that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Easy to when you can pull up to a gas station and wizz, OVM.

BTW, Gov of IN... how's that I-69 extension coming? Don't tell me you blew all that money from the toll road sale already. Nah... you wouldn't do that.

Your right Hawk...real easy for me too say....the wife just slapped me for even posting those remarks! *LOL*

I-69 extension> about as well as the proposed I-22 and the I-74 corridors.....

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
The article says they will save over 1 million a year...what the heck is costing so much in the operation?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) plans to close the I-69 southbound Flat Creek rest park at mile marker 92 and both US 30 east and westbound Arcola rest areas at mile marker 123. The closures will occur in mid January.

Bob Alderman, Deputy Commissioner of the Fort Wayne District, said, "As a part of the strategic plan, some older, high maintenance rest parks throughout the state will be closed. The Flat Creek rest park is 30 plus years old; the two Arcola parks are much older. All require a great deal of maintenance due to their condition and age. Coupled with the opening of the new Pipe Creek rest areas on north and southbound I-69, these higher functioning facilities offer greater services. The proximity of the new rest park to the older parks is yet another reason for closure."

Alderman added, "By closing these rest parks, the savings to taxpayers will be approximately $200,000 for the remainder of this fiscal year and $500,000 each year thereafter. The unseen costs such as the sewage treatment costs, electricity, etc. are other cost factors that must be evaluated. Saving tax payers' dollars is extremely important during this time."

When Indiana's interstates were first constructed, state-operated rest areas provided services to long-distance travelers amid expanses of undeveloped land. Since that time, private companies have opened truck stops, gas stations and restaurants along the way that cater to today's motorists. INDOT regularly evaluates the state's 30 rest areas and six welcome centers based upon customer demand, maintenance costs and proximity to similar public or private facilities.

INDOT will set a specific date for the closure after crews post highway signage notifying motorists of the impending closure.

« Back to News Release List

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No where does it say they were created for a truckers 10 hour break..in fact most have signage stating 2-3 hour time limits that are never enforced....

Reactions: beachbum

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I'd like it if they converted all the "closed" rest areas to truck only parking. About the TP OVM....with the truck only parking and no facilities, that wouldn't be an issue, and trucks would still have a place to park for their 10 hr break

Reactions: Bigfish1954

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
and the fuel stop closing is why this is a bad idea. allot of the places, will not use the word service station service left there repartee long ago, flat out refuse to let non costumers use the potty,also when they close there you are with 120 miles of no place to stop

i think to get federal dollars from us-dot for the interstates you should have to have a rest area every 45 miles or so,give them 3 years to comply then have DOE make it mandatory to meet the dot guide lines or they will lose there money due to unsafe road for the kids to travel on.

there was a state can't remember which one that had leaflets up that said I'm only going to say this one more time this(picture of a soda bottle) is not a urinal,now throwing pee bottle out the window is very so uncool but i was so tempted to go back to the truck fire up photo-shop and make a few leaflets myself saying something to the effect i know it's cheaper to make these(picture of leaflet) than build these(picture of rest area) but with more of these these would be fewer of these(pic of pee bottle)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well now, seems the old nemisis for some folks it seems, the infamous pee bottle is going to make a resurgence going across Indiana. I'm happy i live off the hiways and biways a bit. It's just nature folks, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go. Rest area or no. I'm convinced if you pool your "resources", you can figgure something out to get by.

Maybe, go around.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well now, seems the old nemisis for some folks it seems, the infamous pee bottle is going to make a resurgence going across Indiana. I'm happy i live off the hiways and biways a bit. It's just nature folks, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go. Rest area or no. I'm convinced if you pool your "resources", you can figgure something out to get by.

Maybe, go around.

there ya go...lets boycott Indiana...make them pay!!!*L*

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Col's Got it right. Ontario, you have NO Clue what it is to drive something that cannot fit into a Grocery Store Handicap space.

Straight Truck or 18 wheelers actually have to plan on when and where or take Col's comments and just pull over right there and toss that bottle. Never use to think I would do such a thing. But when passing thur the old Hooiser think of I as you see those bottles I just might change my mind. So much for all those rules HOS.

Is IN not the State that Busts Trucks for parking on Exit Ramps? Private Companies yep there just at every exit on I 65 from Indy to 94. Ever try to find parking at lets say 11PM?, and for the negative comments on better planning, its my fault the load took 4 hours longer to unload/load in Chicago? There are tons of safe parking spots in the Windy, maybee Ontario you could stay on the opposite side of Cabrini just to see if its really safe than I would never have to worry about those Union types not carring if when I get loaded since I could just park right behind you.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Don't get me wrong here, I in no way advocate tossing the bottle. Using it yes. Tossing it no!! But, it'll happen. Betcha. I've used about a dozen of em in my whole life (rest areas) so I won't miss em much. Not in my MoO. Goodies way overpriced, poor selection, vending coffee. Why? When you can do so much better stopping a little sooner, or, later. Sleeping there? No way!! To me they are actually less restfull than a truck stop with all the racket going on.