Indiana Closing 6 rest areas

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Col's Got it right. Ontario, you have NO Clue what it is to drive something that cannot fit into a Grocery Store Handicap space.

Straight Truck or 18 wheelers actually have to plan on when and where or take Col's comments and just pull over right there and toss that bottle. Never use to think I would do such a thing. But when passing thur the old Hooiser think of I as you see those bottles I just might change my mind. So much for all those rules HOS.

Is IN not the State that Busts Trucks for parking on Exit Ramps? Private Companies yep there just at every exit on I 65 from Indy to 94. Ever try to find parking at lets say 11PM?, and for the negative comments on better planning, its my fault the load took 4 hours longer to unload/load in Chicago? There are tons of safe parking spots in the Windy, maybee Ontario you could stay on the opposite side of Cabrini just to see if its really safe than I would never have to worry about those Union types not carring if when I get loaded since I could just park right behind you.

Broom I drove tractor for 3 years and straights for 17 years...I do know what its like.....

I was playing devils advocate whitch yas....:rolleyes::p

Tom911

Seasoned Expediter
Maybe the state should have porta-potties be placed in the emergency lanes along the interstate. Since cornfields are plentiful in Indiana, toilet paper would not need to be supplied at each one.

Bigfish1954

New Recruit
Retired Expediter
I read a lot on rest areas. One point missed is 4 wheelers taking breaks most not used to driving long distances. They are dangerous when awake rest areas give them time to refresh an drive safer. Truckers have a hard time finding place at small businesses. Pulling 80,000 lb truck on a small lot is nuts tears up lot blocks businesses. MY POINT IS SAFETY. I see more accidents happing due to fatigue. It is quicker to use Rest area then to use quick stops with a one person bath room. This is not well though out.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
why not lease rest area to private company let the run them put in McDonald's or Burger King, make more job's and make money off of rest area

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
why not lease rest area to private company let the run them put in McDonald's or Burger King, make more job's and make money off of rest area
Makes sense to me, but the business owners at the exits pitch a fit.

Reactions: RoadTime

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if they have a business at the exit , open a 2nd location at rest area, end of problem

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
if they have a business at the exit , open a 2nd location at rest area, end of problem
That creates a new problem. You now have to spend a really lot of money to give revenues to state governments that now goes to local governments, in order to cannibalize your exit location for the rest area location, and you have to staff and manage a second location.

The relevant clause of the US Code is 23 USC 111: Agreements relating to use of and access to rights-of-way-Interstate System. And the salient portion reads, "The State will not permit automotive service stations or other commercial establishments for serving motor vehicle users to be constructed or located on the right-of-way of the Interstate System."

The original reason for this clause in the law was to protect the copious small towns whose survival depended upon providing travelers' services such as gas, food, and lodging. Because of it, private truck stops and travel plazas have exploded into a massive industry in the United States. The clause does have an exception for facilities constructed prior to January 1, 1960 (i.e., the PA Turnpike).

Attempts to remove the federal ban on privatized rest areas have been generally unsuccessful, due to resistance from existing businesses that have already made enormous capital investments in their existing locations. In 2003 George W. Bush's Highway Reauthorization bill had a clause in there that allowed states to begin experimenting with privatized rest areas on Interstate highways, and it was met with fierce opposition, led by NATSO (National Association of Truck Stop Owners) who argued that privatizing rest areas would utterly destroy private commercial truck stops, and 90% of all truck parking spaces along with it, creating an epidemic of drowsy truck drivers. It was a winning argument.