Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Im currently driving a 2008 268 to Florida for...reasons. The spring suspension is making my wife's boobs bounce all around which is a constant source of entertainment. For me, anyway.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Im currently driving a 2008 268 to Florida for...reasons. The spring suspension is making my wife's boobs bounce all around which is a constant source of entertainment. For me, anyway.
I don't know if a passenger side spring/air seat is an option but it should be, riding in that rigid seat is torture, you may have to carry her out of the truck by the time you reach your destination.

It's funny when shippers require an air ride truck, whatever is in the back of my truck gets beat up less than what's in the front.....me....

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I don't know if a passenger side spring/air seat is an option but it should be, riding in that rigid seat is torture, you may have to carry her out of the truck by the time you reach your destination.

It's funny when shippers require an air ride truck, whatever is in the back of my truck gets beat up less than what's in the front.....me....
Watching her climb in and out is both hilarious and terrifying. She's gonna bust her ass if she doesn't use both hands.

In general, she's terrified. She refuses to drive it.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Was asking the proper tool to use to adjust headlights on a 07 338. Thought about using a ratchet box end to turn the adjustment nut.
I was 100% wrong. Phillips head screwdriver. Access holes on underside of hood. Phillips turns gearwheel. Doing this right now in rest area for first time.

natsys

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
What a great site! Greasytshirt, love to read your posts.

What drew me to this site is we're about to pull the trigger on a 2008 Hino 185 with 53000 km's. I'll be using it in the States and wondered what I should be looking for in potential problems. I'm coming out of a 2003 Ford E450 7.3. Miles are rather low at 130,000 but the age has me worried about other issues. After reading through several posts here I'm rethinking the whole Hino direction entirely.

Any advice for what I'm considering? We only drive about 10k miles per year delivering our product and servicing customers, but all the post 2007 emissions issues has me wondering if maybe I should be looking at a gasoline vehicle. I can add further details or send a p.m. (if I can figure out how to). I can't single out the 185 model on searches, but I'm interested to know what to scrutinize before buying, what their weaknesses are and what I'd have to do to make sure it stays running right. It appears that a good knowledgeable tech and p.m are absolute musts. I checked with Hino of Canada and they said the 2 campaigns for the truck have been done (both dpr issues) but I wonder what else I should be checking?

I see lots of these trucks with 2 and 300k miles and more so they must be reliable, but it seems like there are dozens of things that can go horribly (and expensively) wrong.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated and I can elaborate if you need more specific information.

Reactions: greasytshirt

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
What a great site! Greasytshirt, love to read your posts.

What drew me to this site is we're about to pull the trigger on a 2008 Hino 185 with 53000 km's. I'll be using it in the States and wondered what I should be looking for in potential problems. I'm coming out of a 2003 Ford E450 7.3. Miles are rather low at 130,000 but the age has me worried about other issues. After reading through several posts here I'm rethinking the whole Hino direction entirely.

Any advice for what I'm considering? We only drive about 10k miles per year delivering our product and servicing customers, but all the post 2007 emissions issues has me wondering if maybe I should be looking at a gasoline vehicle. I can add further details or send a p.m. (if I can figure out how to). I can't single out the 185 model on searches, but I'm interested to know what to scrutinize before buying, what their weaknesses are and what I'd have to do to make sure it stays running right. It appears that a good knowledgeable tech and p.m are absolute musts. I checked with Hino of Canada and they said the 2 campaigns for the truck have been done (both dpr issues) but I wonder what else I should be checking?

I see lots of these trucks with 2 and 300k miles and more so they must be reliable, but it seems like there are dozens of things that can go horribly (and expensively) wrong.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated and I can elaborate if you need more specific information.

Hi there,

After looking at this forum, one might suspect that all of these trucks are riddled with problems. Not true, we're only addressing the ones with issues. Plenty of others are running around without problems. Also, you'll notice trends on what goes wrong with them. Like any model, there are idiosyncrasies specific to it that the repairer/driver/owner need to be aware of lest a problem develop that could have been avoided.

What kind of weight will you be running? Local delivery or all interstate? The 145, 165, and 185 were meant for local and regional delivery work. If you're going to do a thousand miles at a time, you'll soon be aware that this thing is lacking in the horsepower department. By soon, I mean about 20 minutes. They're slugs.

What breaks on a 185? The most glaring fault I can think of is the tendency they have to break exhaust manifold studs off in the head. All of the 4 cylinder trucks of that era had this tendency. All of the hardware has been updated though, so if it's been repaired with the right parts and the manifold didn't warp (or if it was replaced with all of the hardware), then it shouldn't happen again. They are LESS likely to leak externally from the oil cooler and head gasket, so that's a plus. Injectors still need to be in good shape for the regeneration process to be reliable, they can benefit from modifications to the ITV, and the exhaust brakes need to be adjusted periodically. I'd replace the fuel filter at 10k despite what anyone else says, don't use fuel additives unless it's antigel in an emergency, and the driver should be aware of the normal characteristics of the regen process and he needs to know to report when it starts acting odd.

I'd prefer the Allison transmission over the Aisin, if you're looking for an automatic.

Is there something you'd like me to expand on?

natsys

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for getting back so quick. I'm glad to hear that they can be a good truck. I was getting exactly the impression you mentioned after reading through many of these posts. Sources like you that can point out the common things to be aware of can really take some of the apprehension out of ownership.

To address some of the specifics you raised, the E450 is rated at 14,000 lbs and we typically run 12 to 13,000. I could probably get away with a 165 but they're harder to find. I doubt I'll go over 16,000 ever. 90% is local delivery. Our shop is 30 minutes south of Boston so we travel local roads and short highway trips. Your assessment of their speed capabilities may be something to give more serious thought to.

Fortunately, I am the driver almost all of the time and I pay special attention to any unusual sound, vibration, or anything out of the ordinary. The observations you provide about the gaskets and exhaust manifold along with the advice on filter replacement are precisely what a potential owner needs to know. Until I read an earlier post in this thread I didn't know the 08's came with an Aisin transmission. I thought in that year they were either manual or the 5 speed Allison so I'll definitely be double checking that as I would prefer the Allison as well.

I find this very helpful and thank you for taking the time to share your wealth of experience. So here's a few remaining questions, you would drill the holes in the ITV on the 4 cylinder as well? If so would I follow the same instructions for the 6 cylinder model? And what would you suggest for a maintenance interval on the exhaust brake adjustment? I think I read a recommendation back a ways for valve adjustment. Is that necessary and if so, how often? It's always cheaper to maintain than repair so thanks again for your willingness to assist in helping to accomplish that aim.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I don't know if the '08s came with an Aisin either, just some of the 4 cylinder trucks did. They're good, but the Allison is bulletproof.

I'd drill the holes if there's low power during a regen. Same pattern and drill size as the 6 cylinder trucks. The valve is smaller on these, and the actuator seems to be able to overcome sticking better, so it's less of an issue.

I'd check the exhaust brake biennially if you're not running very far. There's no interval that I know of, except maybe during the 200,000 mile DPR maintenance (which seems like an excessive interval for exhaust brake adjustment to me). It's important that this setting be correct for successful manual regens, but if everything is working correctly you'll rarely have to do one.

Valve adjustment is ever 50k miles, pretty sure. It doesn't take long at all.

It sounds like your usage is exactly what this model is meant for. An accommodating seller should let you put some weight in the back and drive it around for an hour. I'd take it to a dealer and give them two hours to comb it over, do an scv test to check the injectors, and to do a manual regen.

If you want, get them to email you the .txt file of the scv test, and email you a DX report. Then you can post it here and I'll evaluate them.

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Hi I just have a quick question about HiNo Trucks
I am looking into buying one it's very nice looking it has 200000 miles on I don't know much about Hino"s ... Was wondering how many miles can I expect to get out of t before something major goes? Do they make it to a mil.... Or

Thanks in advance

Say no ! To cheap freight !!!!!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi I just have a quick question about HiNo Trucks
I am looking into buying one it's very nice looking it has 200000 miles on I don't know much about Hino"s ... Was wondering how many miles can I expect to get out of t before something major goes? Do they make it to a mil.... Or

Thanks in advance

Say no ! To cheap freight !!!!!
Model and year?

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 2007 338 with 740K. Its a good truck I wish it was a little more powerful. I think you have to be careful on who works on them. I DH over 500 miles just to bring it to Greasy Shirt.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It claimed to have the hino software with it, but it was an older version, said it would not run on windows 7, had to be xp. My impression is that this was a nexiq knockoff. If the adapter works, would probably look for a newer (legit) copy of the hino explorer software.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It claimed to have the hino software with it, but it was an older version, said it would not run on windows 7, had to be xp. My impression is that this was a nexiq knockoff. If the adapter works, would probably look for a newer (legit) copy of the hino explorer software.
I've heard that these interfaces actually do work, right until something accidently updates. Then it becomes dumpster ballast. I don't know for sure. If used to reflash an ecm and it decides to flake out, things get really expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.