I ask twice!

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
at the shipper monday . the load said 1650 lbs. but I get to shipper and they load 600 lbs 2 pcs on one pallet. so ask them again if this was all of it. they went back in, came back out and said that was it. so I did my part ,entered the weight in qc and away I go. today I get a call from dispatch , the people that sent the freight is missing another pallet. I bet I can guess where it is sitting in california! but I dont fell that im to blame, the company that got it all off the plane and put it in the warehouse should have knew they was another pallet. and I did ask twice so whatever happens I dont fell bad at all

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yeap it happens..when a shipper doesnt load me with the number of pieces or the weight that comes over the QC, I ask and get the shipper to confirm, then i CALL dispatch before I leave the shipper....and let them figure it out....

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
I guess I should have called dispatch. but the bol the company that got it off the plane had fixed up said 600lbs.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yeap it happens..when a shipper doesnt load me with the number of pieces or the weight that comes over the QC, I ask and get the shipper to confirm, then i CALL dispatch before I leave the shipper....and let them figure it out....

Yep! Document, document, document. Make sure the piece count on the BOL matches the freight and the shipper signs. Then if a shortage or overage later devlops, it's not on you.

We were once at a shipper where I loaded the freight with a pallet jack from a warehouse dock. The shipper said take those skids over there. Well, "over there" was heard by me differently than what was meant by him. I loaded the skids and the shipper signed for that number of them. An hour or so later dispatch sent us back to pick one more skid. The shipper paid for the return trip and extra miles because he had signed for the number of pieces we took.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
We do like ChefDennis. Call our carrier and let them sort it out. They will call shipper or consigned and be sure we have complete order.
Once carrier gives us permission to depart it is now an issue between shipper and carrier.
Does it suck sitting a few minutes waiting for them to sort it out. Yes. Is it a great feeling to be free from future liability, most definetly !
If the OP had it to do over again I bet he wishes he spent a few more minutes at the shipper.
OP,please let us know how it turns out. This is a valuable teaching situation.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Possibly two AWB's for this shipment. The shipper missed the second bol. The other bol was a 1050 pallet.
Whenever picking up "off a plane" insist the carrier provides the AirWay Bill #'s prior to pu.
This will save time and errors.

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
airway bol numbers matched. and I sent it in. they are trying to say its my fault. but I sent in on qc what the load weighed . they say I should have called but why do I pay 35 a week for qc if you dont read it. not my problem I have bol from forward air that says 600 lbs so im good. if they try to put a hit on me it will be the last one with panther and I will see them in court.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Underdog you are supposed to call dispatch and they will confirm it is good to go with the customer. Happens to us all the time. We do not leave the dock until customer says good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
why have a macro 3 . let me just call dispatch at pickup and read him the bol everytime. like I said sent it over qc they should have seen macro 3 departing shipper it ask for weight I put in what they loaded. no where on it does say if weight dont match call dispatch and they sure dont tell you at the two day class when you start. I think since forward air gave me a airbill with correct number and what it weighed if I was panther they would get the bill for the whole thing

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I don't know. They told us in orientation. But maybe someone left it out of that class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
With our carrier (fedex) , any discrepancys with our freight that deviates from original load offer, we are required to speak to dispatch. I can certainly see how this happened to the op, and am surprised it doesn't happen to me more often, I often get impatient to " get going" .

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Rollinout2

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
The freight didnt match what you were dispatched, but it matched the Forward Air pro? Now instead of thinking you know everything, you might have considered that the freight was a consolidation of freight that came in from two different places. IE, two air bills. You should have called into dispatch to get it right. As far as why you pay for QC, it's because slick 'know it alls like' yourself' tend to serve up misinformation. Freight/ trucks need to be satellite tracked for the location of the customers freight, not for your I 'dont play well with others' customer service skills. Dial down your attitude, slow down and get it right the first time....It's cheaper that way. It's on you this time---cha ching!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You wouldn't call dispatch on every load or BOL. Only the ones where there is a discrepancy.
In this case, the load didn't match the original load information, thus requiring a confirmation call prior to departure.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This makes me glad I don't have qc. As it is, I have a cell phone. A discrepancy like that is an automatic call-in, just standard CYA procedure. I wouldn't have rolled from the pick-up until I had the dispatcher tell me to go with it, then at least I would have the name of the person authorizing the discrepancy.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
AWB's. Isn't it always one bill per piece ? 2 pallets, 2 bills. 3 pallets,3 bills. 6 pallets would be six bills.
I understand the OP's stand. Unfortunately this will be a costly lesson learned on his part.
Pay it,move on.
The more you let it bother you the harder it will be to focus on the job at hand which is getting today's shipment right.
Possibly a call to Panther could spread your cost over a period of time to alleviate the financial hardship.
Good luck.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Of course you want to do everything possible to get it right the first time, call, Qualcomm, documentation and anything else. But even with your best efforts and those of the carrier things still go bad sometimes because the shipper messes up.

We were once dispatched on a load of four skids. Shipper presented us with three. We questioned the shipper. Yes, three it was. We notified dispatch. Dispatch called the shipper. Again, yes, three skids. Dispatch called us back. OK. it's three skids.

We drove overnight and delivered. Went to sleep in the parking lot with consignee's permission. A few hours later, another truck rolls in with the fourth skid.

OOPS!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Opps ! The point Phil presents is that although there was an Error, Phil made sure it was not PHIL'S error.
CYA. It improves profitability.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I wouldn't pay a penny over that. Panther says you should have called, but that's because they want to put the blame on you. If you got the AWB# from Panther, it's all on them, regardless of what was on the QC insofar as pieces and weight.

When I was at Panther the pieces and weight on the QC load offer was wrong so often that I started to regard it as merely a ballpark estimate. I tracked it once over a 6 month period and the QC information was correct 39% of the time, incorrect 59% of the time, with 2% being NA (0-pieces, 0-weight). In the OPs' case I'd have done the same thing, which is double-check with the shipper (you know, the one who knows infinitely more about their freight than I do), and once they confirmed what I was to haul, I'd simply communicate that via the QC Macro 3 as we were supposed to do, maybe wait 5 minutes if I was still a little unsure to give the dispatcher who is monitoring the load time to read the QC message (since, you know, that's their JOB), and then leave the shipper.

If there was a problem the dispatcher should have discovered it within minutes and had it sorted out quickly. In this case, the next day? Sorry. Once confirmed with the shipper and then communicated to Dispatch, it's out of my hands. Calling them and telling them the same exact information they are looking at on the QC screen is a waste of time. I'm not paying for a shipper's mistake or some breakdown in communication between the shipper, customer and carrier, and certainly not for a dispatcher failing to do their job.

On the other hand, if you failed to get the AWB# from Panther, you're screwed.

Last edited:

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
turtle, you are the "only one to get it! I got airbill number from panther picked up right airbill that said 600 lbs. but I still ask twice still and no other bill to go with it put on qc as 600 I did my part