I ask twice!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
turtle, you are the "only one to get it! I got airbill number from panther picked up right airbill that said 600 lbs. but I still ask twice still and no other bill to go with it put on qc as 600 I did my part
With the AWB# from Panther in hand, there's nothing else to do, nothing else to consider. That AWB# tells you precisely what you are to pick up. Even with the discrepancy there's really no need to call, as it can be assumed based on the AWB# that the QC information is incorrect. Somebody screwed up, but it wasn't you.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
turtle, you are the "only one to get it! I got airbill number from panther picked up right airbill that said 600 lbs. but I still ask twice still and no other bill to go with it put on qc as 600 I did my part

Maybe so, but I'll bet that the next time the numbers don't add up to what they are supposed to be that you will call in and talk to a dispatcher about it. J/S.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
just picked up load samething,came over 600 they load 478, I tell shipper to call panther and let them know, I get. a call back load change to 478 . shipper was happy too save d them 150 dollars on shipment I seen on the computer price at first 998 after 869 for a,679 mile trip

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Am I the only one thinking that Panther just got their first $150 of the error ? I would expect the carrier to pay the quoted rate.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's very rare when Panther books a load quoted by weight. It's generally the same price for 2000 pounds or an envelope. The customer is paying for the entire truck regardless of what they put in it. It happens, especially when there is LTL or air involved, but it's rare.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I look at all loads like this, once it goes in my truck, its mine, i am responsable, no 1 else,a nd it aint coming off my truck unless in case of a emergency or a breakdow until i deliver it the the consignee.

so if the QCand the AWB does not match what was loaded into my truck, I will ask the shipper to make sure 1 time. Then i will call dispatch to pas the info on to them and they can do whatever they need to do..but i am not leaving until there is a confirmation from the customer...

I would think that with Panther, every driver would make sure with a phone call...I mean thy transfer loads for you guys all the time, if i were picking up a load that was a transfer for you and it was not what i was dispatched to get, you can bet i am not taking it or sgnong for it until all issues are cleared up....Butthen again, i don't have tp worry about that kind of stuff..with nmy carrier, once it is loaded onto my truck, it stays there until unloaded at the conssignee or transfered incase of a emergency or a breakdown...

Dang i m glad i am contracted to Load 1....:d

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If he's a flat rate then maybe this change did not cost OP anything.
I TOLD the shipper to call Panther ? I guess it's okay if you see them do it immediately. If I got a "yeah,later" I would have called Panther prior to departure.

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
I thought same on freight charge, but the lady told on phone she could call express one on a single pallet and get done cheaper, so they changed price for her. now im still getting my contracted rate for this load today

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
there is something funny about this load today. it takes me 10 miles ftom the house panther could be sending me home for good. cause I did get mad on second call today

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
there is something funny about this load today. it takes me 10 miles ftom the house panther could be sending me home for good. cause I did get mad on second call today
Naaa. If they were gonna cut you lose, they'd call you and tell you that right after you delivered to Belgrade, Montana or Grants Pass, Oregon. Someplace like that. :D

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I made a worksheet that I get NAMES on, and WHO they are if I were to have an Issue such as this make them sign and confirm and then your off that meathook....I once was sent to do a Heavy pickup that was exceeding my Load Cap by over 4000 lbs, they tried to put it on my truck and I refused, called dispatch and confirmed weight I was to get was 8400Lbs, not 12400lbs....let them figure it out, but ya do whatevers necessary to document EVERYTHING...I make many of the shippers PRINT there name because they think there Doctors and the writing is Unintelligible...so who signed for it....Stravisla Brezinskimykopf....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
several years ago at Panther orientation they told us to call in if things dont match piece and weight wise. Even if they didnt it is still a wise thing to do. You never know who the customer really is so asking the guy loading you might mean nothing. Even though Turtle is a smart guy and been succesful at this a long time I see his statement about the awb misguided advise. What you going to do if it ever happens again, tell them well Turtle said if my bill numbers match that is all that matters.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got airbill number from panther picked up right airbill that said 600 lbs. but I still ask twice still and no other bill to go with it put on qc as 600 I did my part

You got an AWB number from Panther? Please tell me you had to ask for it, more than once. Trying to get an AWB number or a pro number for an LTL pickup from Panther is like trying to... I dunno...like trying to make a silk purse from a road gator or driving a set of doubles through the eye of a needle. The Cat may have two heads, but neither head thinks to ask for a pro or AWB number.

On occasion, when I'm in teacher mode, I'll ask the Panther Person on the phone, whom I called to get an AWB or pro number, to play along with me. I pretend to be a Panther customer inquiring about a shipment in-transit. I ask when my shipment to (insert any city and state here) will deliver. Of course this throws them for a loop. I have to walk them through my little scenario. Eventually they catch on to where I'm going with this and ask for more information. It takes some prodding, but I ask if a pro number will be helpful? BINGO, the light clicks on, and they now realize why I need a pro or AWB number to get the freight.

Unfortunately at Panther the person with the illuminated light bulb above their head is a driver service something or other and not a customer service something or other. So, while they understand my problem trying to pickup freight with limited information (pro/AWB number) they are not the ones that deal with the customer. And, to whoever suggested to call dispatch, at Panther when you call, you can't talk to dispatch. You get driver relations and they forward your call or send an E-mail, yes you read that right, E-mail, to customer service. Welcome to my world! If I had more than two eyes, I would stick a sharp #2 pencil in my third eye, just because. Unfortunately I only have two eyes and I stuck a sharp #2 pencil in one of those eyes back in 2006 and figure I couldn't pass a DOT physical totally blind, even at my old clinic!

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I didnt read all the posts but here is my advice.
NEVER use skid count count cases, pieces etc. I had a problem like that durring my F.N.G. days freight loaded 3 skids total 400 pcs. shipper and I counted and wrote down 3 skids The consignee claimed they were short 1 skid expecting 4 skids at 100 pcs each what they ordered. Come to find out the shipper consolidated 4 skids at 100 pcs each onto 3 skids. Yep, Caffine was a godsend that day I pulled the packing list and looked at the list and the skids the skids and counted the freight. ofcourse the consignee whined the whole time but the count was good. I dont know how much money I saved that day by not having a short claim but Im sure it was more than the couple bucks I had in my pockett.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you sign the BOL, sign for _ shrink wrapped skids, said to contain _ pcs. or _ SWS, STC _ pcs. For a large piece count, sign _ pcs, SL&C (shippers load and count). If the shipper doesn't allow an SL&C, have them walk you through the count, piece by piece.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
SL&C and your own seals. Mr Shipper,I don't know how many boxes you have on those pallets ! Do us all a favor. Put the frt on, write 6 pallets, SL&C,sign here and put this seal on. As long as the seal is intact at the other end we'll all know what you put in there is what they get to take off.
As I was typing this I thought what about a CV ?
I guess they have their own unique problems.
If it's a vanner that can count, let em take off his shoes and socks and start counting.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it's a vanner that can count, let em take off his shoes and socks and start counting.
I'm a vanner and if I'm wearing shoes and socks and there are more than 10 pieces then its SL&C or STC. If the weather is warm and I'm barefoot, I'll extend my count to a maximum of 20 pieces.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I make many of the shippers PRINT there name because they think there Doctors and the writing is Unintelligible...so who signed for it....Stravisla Brezinskimykopf....
Easy way to do that is, when they're signing, say, "Could you also print? I have to type it in." That explanation satisfies everybody and they cooperate.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Reminds me of Jackson, MI Spring 2011. Raised roof cargo van days: pick up 2 skids. We arrive. Can he load 3? Sure. If we break the 3rd one down. With two skids loaded, we are packing the boxes from the 3rd any which way we can. The shipping clerk comes out to the back of the open van where we are creatively stacking and asks Jeff, "Can you take two more skids?" Jeff and I looked at her like "Are you serious?!?" Jeff politely told her no flippin'way. They ordered a second c/v. Which, in reality, one S/T would have been more cost effective once they became aware they had more than double the freight. Loads cancel frequently enough, it wouldn't have been nothing more to a disappointment with a few cuss words to Jeff.

How in the world 2 skids became 5 in that short of a period still befuddles me. Seems someone called the order in too early.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums