How low will you go?

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
I know everyone situation is different, so the answers will vary on this, so please tell us the type unit you drive......no need for company you are leased on to that don't matter..........ok here are the events leading up to this.

1. You have already delivered into a slow area.

2. You have already been sitting for 2-3 days and no good load offer.

3. You are bored to death sitting not moving.

4. How cheap will you allow someone to load you unit?

Now I know some will say you should have gotten more money to go in and then deadhead out.....others will say you should not have taken it....but all aside you have already done it now just waiting on th QC to ping and it not doing its thing and you have made your mind up to run a backhaul.....so whats your bottom dollar to run?

Now let me clear this up before everyone starts in....this is not a real situation, no I am not stuck without a load.....just courious to know what everyone will move a unit for?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In that situation, I'd accept a load that paid almost anything, as long as it took me to a better place - it beats deadheading!

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
I started this so I will answer:
I drive a tractor and if it were me, I would try and secure for no less than 1.15 a mile to the truck, but if it came down to really cheap freight in a real bad area, I will move the truck for .85cpm ( fuel cost and driver pay). Luckly I have not had to move for that cheap in about 3 years. And if the brokers attitude stinks, I will deadhead out and basically run the truck for a loss of about .50cpm

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Ditto!

Ask yourself this question:

How many times have I sat Wed, Thur, Fri and then deadheaded 400+ miles to the house for the weekend?

PS. Where are you sitting?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I have accepted 50 cents to deadhead to an area that the carrier needed the van. I would not, however, accapt a load for 50 cents to travel the same distance to a similar location. Deadheading on the come is one thing, cheap freight is a psychologically unacceptable matter and leads to establishing a precedence indicating our threshhold of acceptable rates.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
I drive a van and my rate is .80 cpm that is the cheapest I will haul for but I will take more. As long as people keep taking cheap freight there will always be cheap freight. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and cut off your nose to spite your face. And if your going to say; Well someone is going to take it so it might as well be me, Then your part of the problem and not part of the solution. Those of us who have been driving many, many years know that the rates have just gone down the toilet. Owner Operators used to get a percentage of the line haul usually around 70% because we carried the majority of the expense, but now were getting paid per mile with companys also wanting us to take on even more expense above the higher fuel costs.

BTW, I deadheaded from El Paso to Michigan on my dime. actually about 400.00 but I needed to get home. If they had something along the way fine, but they didn't. It was a bad week to be out. Had a couple offers but none worth taking.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
>1. You have already delivered into a slow area.

Depends on which slow area you're talking about. If we're talking 700 miles to civilization, check for a quick LTL. If nothing, I'm out of there. Also depends on how long the run was that got me there.

>2. You have already been sitting for 2-3 days and no good load offer.

I wouldn't be sitting 2 days in no-man's land. Although, I did sit a week in WA. Guess you could consider that the boonies.

>3. You are bored to death sitting not moving.

Been there, done that.

>4. How cheap will you allow someone to load you unit?

The farther it goes into civilization, the more per mile it has to be. IE, WA to MN... can go .85 with that, as it pays for fuel, gets me to the closest freight zone, and puts some money in my pocket. WA to PA, on the other hand, adds another 1000 miles or so to the equation. I'd have to go with at least 1.00... possibly more. Now say I'm in Denver with no expedite in site. DH 500 miles to Lincoln or play with LTL? Check the boards first. If I can fit two loads on going east, paying 1.50 total, I'm there. If I can't get 1.20 out of Denver, I'm moving to Lincoln.

You also have to remember LTL is not expedite. There are too many ifs involved. Read the thread about the LTL to Ontario. Is the price worth not only the miles, but the chance that you could spend a day or more trying to get offloaded? Usually that's not a problem, but it does happen. And it's something to take into consideration. You're not dealing with your own dispatch and those used to dealing with JIT freight. You're dealing with regular brokers, some of which are bottom of the barrel shysters.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

FireGears

Expert Expediter
How low will I go..???

Well sir, I have my limits...

I'll not post on the "Women's View" forum...!!!!

KEEP SMILING... :+

plus ...

fastrod

Expert Expediter
First there is no such thing as a slow area for me as I deadhead home after every run. Second and third, I do not sit so I am never bored. Forth, I load myself and average 1.50 per loaded mile. This form of expediting will not work for everyone, but it works well for me.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll Only sit 24 hours before I deadhead back into our Freight Lanes

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

markafd

Expert Expediter
I would give an area 24hrs if nothing, I would agree 100% with terry and try for a relocation through my carrier with no cheap frieght. Reason being if im empty moving there is always the chance something will come my way that if I were loaded with cheap frieght would not get offered. Some times this system works sometimes not but dont they all.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
When I take a load,if it doesnt pay me enough to get to the best express center,not necessarily the closest,whether I get paid for the dead head or not,the load has paid me enough that unless I want to,I dont have to sit.I am in a tractor,so there is far less competition

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Firegears: on another forum, just the other day, you posted the following:
Saying you're something is easy, but not necessary (sic) accurate. As an example, one can say they are an adult, but their actions will always speak louder, and sometimes not validate their statement.

With the above post, you've demonstrated just how true that is.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Firegears: I comprehend, all right - you are an individual who frequently insults others at an angle, leaving yourself an 'out' in case you're confronted. Claiming "it was a joke" is a typical response from a bully, when called to account for his actions.
I haven't missed the snide references you continously make, just chose not to respond to such obvious baiting - it's not worth my time.
I also believe your explanation for the 'small grammatical errors' is about as truthful as the rest of your posts - and no, I don't feel better about myself, I feel worse for everyone who has been the target of one of your rants.
The comment to OVM was, in my opinion, a true snapshot of your character: despicable.

FireGears

Expert Expediter
WOW..!!!!

You coward... you cut my posts...
(It does make it easier to present just your opinion...)

Ma'am,
That is ALL conjecture on your part..!!!

You "say" that I'm not truthful when I defend my actions
based upon your own uptight perspective.

I've only done what you present here IN YOUR MIND..!!! :eek:

You have never met me and have NO idea how I lead my life.
Your ONLY interaction with me is NOT LIKING MY POSTS.... :eek:

Weeellll Excuuuuuuse Me..!!!!

So you begin a rant which includes name calling...
How "professional" .... by a Mod no less..!!!

My advice to you is to increase the dosage
and attempt to smile more...:7 :7 :7

But... maybe that's just me :+ :+

Get Well, Get well Soon

plus

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You know Firegears you are pushing it.I removed 2 of your posts today and may do more.You are always ranting and raving about the Mods and forums not being professional,well practice what you preach.
I sent you a PM on this.