Good News from my Company

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
John I was hoping that this Forum could produce some fruit.I still signed on with this Company, I don't to name them.Our drivers know how they are most like have been proud to work for them.i started this once again to vent . We are all in the same boat what the name of a company is.So far the comments made besides yours on the Insurance issue has been for not.Do you agree DOT is doing there job in policing less than road worthy trucks hauling our freight?How can we get there ATTN. how can we get other companies to pay ATTN to fact cheaper because they not Insurance? This what I think a Forum is design for! How can we help our industry. Your the past president of group that can help lobby and being these issue to the table.Like I said we all in the same boat we can ride it and hope it goes away but what happens it turns around a bits is in the butt later on. I am one person just a driver I've worked since 16 had a paper route,I was in Vietnam at 18, I made home to called a baby killer. I m a proud person and I call a spade a spade it something broke I fit it or die trying. That's right, I'm sure there some out there don't care for what say or feel the same way.
There a lot more at stake than what someone works for. I mean no disrespect to you I have a friend that works for you he always says what a stand up guy you are.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
No, I just meant in general. It seems like the small vehicle part of the industry doesn't have the same carrier pride it once did. But I get that. It has been hit hard with over supply, insurance fraud, and the event of the "multi" made half the industry a carrier with no sign or names.

I think the FMCSA is doing what it can based on resources. We are such a tiny part of the trucking industry as a whole. I often wonder if they regulated vans if that would help? Not sure I love that idea and I doubt it will happen. How would you regulate us vs a plumber driving his van? It is frustrating to say the least.

TEANA and a lot of it's members are working on trying to educate the shipping public to the risks that are out there. It is a huge challenge and in a world where industry is so competitive the mighty penny or nickel savings is often overly alluring to them. Sadly as bad things happen and companies are hit word will slowly start growing. TEANA is working hard to grow and enhance VOI. Sad how many that apply don't qualify as they are caught trying to cheat.

Myself and a number of other carrier owners are meeting, working and trying to educate brokers, and shippers as to the risk and what is happening out there. But it is a huge undertaking.

Change has to happen from all sides. Drivers need to push back on these rogue companies as well. Just because they don't require proper insurance doesn't mean you should accept that risk for them???? These carriers should be shunned!

Thanks for the kind words, popular or not I try and take the high road whenever possible.

Thank you for your service to our country. I was just a child then but I know it was a dark time in our country and our soldiers took an unfair burden for the choices of politicians.

Happy Memorial Day weekend.

Reactions: Casper0418

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
There is several things a driver can do to help DOT:

1. Don't be a part of the problem. Keep your truck and yourself in compliance and keep it clean. Don't give DOT a reason for pulling you in. While He/she is inspecting your truck one of the bad ones slips by.

2. See something, say something. I was at a rest stop just south of Lake City and saw a truck (18 wheeler) with rags where the fuel cap is supposed to be. A called the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division and told them where I was. They asked if I could e-mail a picture while they were sending a unit to the location. I did and the truck left before anyone arrived. About 30 miles further south on I75, they had the truck pulled over with several units lit up.

3. When you are pulled in, be polite and professional so the officer can complete his task in a timely manner. That way he can get back at his business of hopefully catching a bad one.

4. Add your suggestions here.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We were in Texas at a the J. We started talking to a Russian driver and just mentioned our insurance card. We asked if he had one and he said no. He said he didn't have to carry one cuz Surgie had one. We have had 3 different Russian drivers tell us "the highway patrol are not allowed to stop us". It has all been taken care of. Wierd how they believe they are immune. We talked to one young guy who was parked behind the TA in Nashville and he had a six pack of beer on the dash. Said it was okay cuz he was waiting for some repairs. I may have to change my name to Vladimir or something. It might be cheaper than being legal.

Reactions: Murraycroexp

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
We were in Texas at a the J. We started talking to a Russian driver and just mentioned our insurance card. We asked if he had one and he said no. He said he didn't have to carry one cuz Surgie had one. We have had 3 different Russian drivers tell us "the highway patrol are not allowed to stop us". It has all been taken care of. Wierd how they believe they are immune. We talked to one young guy who was parked behind the TA in Nashville and he had a six pack of beer on the dash. Said it was okay cuz he was waiting for some repairs. I may have to change my name to Vladimir or something. It might be cheaper than being legal.
How about contact the Highway patrol and ask them. Then report their response back to us.

Reactions: jelliott

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
I don't know if they believe that.but I'm sure they know there they aren't going to stopped.its like the 2 last summer at the J on 20. They hot wired the light pole in the parking so they run a/c that they stuck out the pass/side window.the left and moved to the t/a.I think they like to see how far they can go.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
both

Your right less trucks more freight.Our fleet when from 125 trucks to 75.Last week we had a total of 16 loads.I guess when we down to 10 trucks some of us may get a load a week,luck 2 loads.By then we want have to worry about Insurance or somebody from who knows where getting the loads.

16 loads for 75 trucks in a week? That's not ideal, especially for a carrier the size of LS.
We did 23 loads this week for 11 trucks and it was a pretty rough week. At least for some. And they weren't even ALL available.
Your loyalty to a carrier for 10 years shouldn't be rewarded with 2 loads a month, if LS is truly the issue. It's a tough market but there has to be a line for you. You're in business for yourself. Period. If/when we can no longer fairly consistently meet or exceed any of our driver's needs we expect to lose them, as sad as we will be. It's a really tough battle for carriers too, but if you seem to go months and months with not enough to survive on I only wonder why you're there still.

Best wishes with your survival there.

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
16 loads for 75 trucks in a week? That's not ideal, especially for a carrier the size of LS.
We did 23 loads this week for 11 trucks and it was a pretty rough week. At least for some. And they weren't even ALL available.
Your loyalty to a carrier for 10 years shouldn't be rewarded with 2 loads a month, if LS is truly the issue. It's a tough market but there has to be a line for you. You're in business for yourself. Period. If/when we can no longer fairly consistently meet or exceed any of our driver's needs we expect to lose them, as sad as we will be. It's a really tough battle for carriers too, but if you seem to go months and months with not enough to survive on I only wonder why you're there still.

Best wishes with your survival there.

I think because he's hoping it will turnaround. Sad to say it's not like it use to be just 5 yrs. ago.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have had brokers tell me before, at least with semi's, that eastern euros from Chicago area can be some of the biggest gouges out there. In fact I have a friend from that area who is Polish immigrant that is one helluva a negotiator and does not run cheap at all. We joke all the time about cheap rednecks and eastern euros ruining freight rates for everyone bahahaha!! In their part of the world going to the market to buy ordinary every day things they haggle and negotiate over price. Whereas we just go to Wal Mart and pay the posted price because haggling is embarrassing. I would imagine if anyone is lacking in the area of haggling and negotiations it would likely be more of our own homegrown crowds, probably ones barking the loudest and pointing fingers - wouldn't be a surprise. As much as that could have an impact on rates.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan