Getting Shafted In Maumee,Ohio

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
Can anyone tell me how to get the money that is owed to me from this expediting company that does there business out of Maumee,Ohio?I wont mention any names here,but you probably know who i am talking about.
When i hired on with them i was verbally promised a 500 dollar sign on bonus after 6 months of service,which was completed.They also owe me over 560 dollars for a load i delivered for them,which they claim they will not pay for because the load was late,the only reason the load was late was because i was put out of service for defective equipment on their truck.The load was delivered but they claim that Ford will not pay for it.Everytime i call them i am asked to call the owners wife,who is never around.Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well bud, if you have retained the load documents ie. bol etc. for the load you say you hauled, you may have a shot at some of it.

the amount in both cases will allow you to visit the small claims court. Best way I know.

NoProblem

Expert Expediter
A friend of mine recently went through something very similar. He got his money by contacting "Michigan department of wages and labor" or some such thing. They did all the work for him and they work pretty quick and its free.

I haven't been able to get a hold of him yet today but I will get you the Ph# and more info when I talk with him - hopefully later today.

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
I have a copy of the bill of lading with a signature and a stamp on it,but i dont know what to do about the verbal promise about the 500 dollar sign on bonus,and they are still advertising it on their website where they promise a sign on bonus.All i can say to all the newbies is BEWARE of the T-- H---S Promises,in Maumee,Oh.

NoProblem

Expert Expediter
Here ya go whitewolf:

Get ahold of Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth in Lansing. Within that department theres a wages and hours division that you can call @ 517-322-1825

My friend delt with Christine Reigler and she got ALL of his money back for him and it only took about 3 or 4 weeks because the company was being stubborn.

He needed to supply only a little info like Trip numbers etc. but basically, she did everything!

He also gave me the mailing adress, so in case you need it, its:

Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth
P.O. Box 30476
Lansing Mi.
48909-7976

Best of luck to you!
Steve

TryHoursRcrtr

Expert Expediter
Mike,
I did some digging into this, and this is what I found. You were stopped in MI, and the vehicle was impounded due to driver negligence. Your sign on bonus was put toward the impound charges which were incurred. The load was never paid. By the time they were allowed to get the truck out of impound, and get it to the customer, it was 12 hours late.
Mike, feel free to call me with any questions.
Christine

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
There is always 2 sides to every story.

Thanks for everyone's comments on this issue.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Bottom line is the driver should still get paid if he completed the trip regardless of the outcome or at least be compensated for half of the load amount.

If the customer got screwed its the carrier who should eat the bill and not carry it over to the driver.

I had a similar situation when I ran airfreight out of Atlanta in the 90's and although the driver screwed up and it cost me a valuable client, I still paid him for the trip...After all he did complete it!

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is always 2 sides to every story.

Thanks for everyone's comments on this issue.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

3 sides to every story my Dad always said. Your side, Their side and the Truth......

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
Mike,
I did some digging into this, and this is what I found. You were stopped in MI, and the vehicle was impounded due to driver negligence. Your sign on bonus was put toward the impound charges which were incurred. The load was never paid. By the time they were allowed to get the truck out of impound, and get it to the customer, it was 12 hours late.
Mike, feel free to call me with any questions.
Christine

I feel that Ford should pay for load, maybe not full rate, but they did accept and sign for load. It really doesn't matter why the load was late...breakdown, weather, accident...Why didn't they tell driver he was too late, and refuse the load. How late is too late for ford not to pay? 5min, 1hr...is there a contract spelling all this out?

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I feel that Ford should pay for load, maybe not full rate, but they did accept and sign for load. It really doesn't matter why the load was late...breakdown, weather, accident...Why didn't they tell driver he was too late, and refuse the load. How late is too late for ford not to pay? 5min, 1hr...is there a contract spelling all this out?

But did Ford actually refuse to pay? It all comes down to who you believe. I would be interested to know what the driver negligence consisted of? If recruiter is right and truck got impounded, and it was drivers fault, I don't think driver should be entitled to pay until amount for impound is recovered.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I don't understand. Who Impounded the truck?. Certainly was not aware if DOT held it for safety infractions, that the Company or driver would be paying DOTa impound fee.