Fedex BR unit

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
Exactly - correct - right, what ever you say. E units get more per mile than vans - so go buy one. No "R" unit has the same exact contract as a surface unit, I assume you know this - so what's your point? If your thinking about expanding you fleet I suggest you consider all the options and choices available to you.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
It does not matter what you call yourself, like an employee you still only have two choices. You can accept the pay cut or go to another carrier. There is a third choice, you can get your own authority and become a carrier yourself.

Call yourself what you like, think of yourself how you want, but no matter if you are an independent carrier, an employee, a driver, or an owner operator, the economy is changing.
There are too many trucks and not enough freight, which is making prices drop for all of the above.
If a store owner or a carrier or a factory or a huge corporation or an owner operator is not able to obtain the same prices for his goods and services as he was able to obtain 5 months ago, he can choose to lower his prices or not get any business, thereby making him GO out of business.
Of course we all have choices.
Different words, different entities, but unfortunately it's all the same in the end.. survival of the fittest.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Dear fecc recruiter, does FUTURE BR UNITS stay at % or FORCED to sign .85 cpm!!

this is MY point!! nothing of BUYING a E unit or ANYTHING else..

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Have you heard of the difference in rates between Express trucks and White Glove trucks?

Not all rates are the same we as an Express truck sure do not make the same as a reefer truck nor should we our expenses are to different.

The BR unit should not make the same as a B unit as his expenses are greater.

jwgmover

Expert Expediter
Have you heard of the difference in rates between Express trucks and White Glove trucks?

Not all rates are the same we as an Express truck sure do not make the same as a reefer truck nor should we our expenses are to different.

The BR unit should not make the same as a B unit as his expenses are greater.

Is this test BR unit considered White Glove???

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
It's a refrigerated Sprinter van, White Glove, TVAL Unit. So far it's holding up very well. Compared to pushing a big truck down the road, this is a piece of pure joy.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Another illustration to ponder;
We heard of the BR project and called our recruiter and although we both have the creditials, capital and willingness and a perfect service record, we were told that the BRs were by invatation only. So it didn't matter how much of whatever you want to call it, we are not on FECC favored list and was turned down for this opportunuty...not to be defeated and whine, we simply started another company, secured a contract, hired drivers and they are doing fine on this specialized contract...FEDCC lost this one because I used to provide them with promising contracts which in turn we all benefited from...future opportunities will now be used to build our other company and we will soon move on. Its sad that the new FECC seems to be creating their own competition...can anyone say "PANTHER ELITE"...familar names and faces from the old FECC.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Another illustration to ponder;
We heard of the BR project and called our recruiter and although we both have the creditials, capital and willingness and a perfect service record, we were told that the BRs were by invatation only. So it didn't matter how much of whatever you want to call it, we are not on FECC favored list and was turned down for this opportunuty...not to be defeated and whine, we simply started another company, secured a contract, hired drivers and they are doing fine on this specialized contract...FEDCC lost this one because I used to provide them with promising contracts which in turn we all benefited from...future opportunities will now be used to build our other company and we will soon move on. Its sad that the new FECC seems to be creating their own competition...can anyone say "PANTHER ELITE"...familar names and faces from the old FECC.

Good post, they have been doing that for years. I guess they still haven't learned.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
"By invitation only"?
That is a interesting concept.
I would have to think there is more to that.

Last edited:

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Yes, "By invitation only" is exactly what I was told...nothing more to it than that!!! I am an independent contractor, I am not related to any of the employees at FECC nor am I associated with certain select fleets that don't seem to be experiencing a slow down like the rest of us....

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have not heard anything about "By Invitation only" only that the BR is still in a test phase and right now no more will be put on.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I talked to them about the BR unit a month or so ago. I was told it's in test phase and for now that's one unit only. I was told that sometime in 2009 a decision would be made as to whether to expand or drop the program. I was told if they expand the program they'll talk to interested parties at that time. There was no mention of invitations and I don't believe they'll refuse a qualified operator if they do open this up to another unit category.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I talked to them about the BR unit a month or so ago. I was told it's in test phase and for now that's one unit only. I was told that sometime in 2009 a decision would be made as to whether to expand or drop the program. I was told if they expand the program they'll talk to interested parties at that time. There was no mention of invitations and I don't believe they'll refuse a qualified operator if they do open this up to another unit category.

I would have to agree with you Leo. All I can say is if you want to upgrade your van to a BR unit you can. If FedEx has the need to use you they will.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Before you upgrade you van to a BR you need to find out the specs and they are very specific. It is no different than buying a truck before you find out what the company you are going to lease on to require.
Not a good idea and can be a huge waste of money.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
...not to be defeated and whine, we simply started another company, secured a contract, hired drivers and they are doing fine on this specialized contract...
Heheheh ..... good for you ......

Interesting thing about this - you don't have the overhead of the big glass palace on Boettler ..... or Virginia's bonus :eek: (..... unless your wife is also named Virginia :D)

Me thinks ya oughta be well positioned to compete ......

FEDCC lost this one because I used to provide them with promising contracts which in turn we all benefited from...future opportunities will now be used to build our other company and we will soon move on. Its sad that the new FECC seems to be creating their own competition ...
Ya know this whole economic downturn thing could end up being a "death by a thousand cuts" for the big expedite guys ..... they keep sticking it to their contractors, contractors leave, get their own authority, and compete ..... leaner, meaner, and mebbe a little hungier .....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rlent said..
Ya know this whole economic downturn thing could end up being a "death by a thousand cuts" for the big expedite guys ..... they keep sticking it to their contractors, contractors leave, get their own authority, and compete ..... leaner, meaner, and mebbe a little hungier .....
Taint dat da truth....I am on the cusp of doing the same thing <own authority>...Some people here talk about mom and pop operation undercutting and make it sound like they run cheap when in fact they only undercut the glass tower carriers and their $2.00 - $2.50 per mile rate for cargo vans!!
YES//If the big carriers continue to rape us...they will suffer...Capitalism will raise it's ugly head and consume them.

Last edited:

PalletJack

Expert Expediter
So you get your own authority, buy cargo insurance, hustle a customer or two that might toss you an occasional load for how much? $1.00, $1.50 or $1.75 a mile, one way. Then you wait 30, 60 or even 90 days for payment unless you factor for a percentage and what have you got left. Break down while loaded just one time without backup plan and how loyal is that customer? What will you do when your neighbor offers your customer the same service for $.90, $1.40 or $1.65, counter offer for ten cents less? If you want cheap freight, get your own authority! I have been there, done that and wish I had stayed with my old carrier for more net money than I could get for myself. Taint dat da truth....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Reality check.

The fact is there are very few that operate as a sole independent with their own customer(s)
Can only wear so many hats in a day.:D
They are there and it can be done, but it is hard work and it would be a difficult choice to put all your eggs in one basket.
As pallet jack mentioned, the differential in rates isn't high enough to offset the difference on a continual basis unless you have a real knack for locating freight from unconventional sources. There use to be a lot even 5 years ago, but reality shows much different in today's time. Seldom do you see someone operating this way past the five year mark. There are exceptions, but pretty few. In fact, I can't think of any at the moment that are currently running.
The real reality is the independents are very reliant on the folks "in the glass towers".
A lot of companies prefer a logistic company because they want guarantees, one stop shop, and assurance that any freight they have can be covered. One single independent can't offer that.
To get close they may try GPS but that is a lot of LTL, NLM and a shark frenzy when there is little freight.
Most of these "independents" are getting their freight from Panther, Fedex, Landstar and so forth. The rest are using 3PL's or load boards. Just to stay diversified, we do a little of all of them.The more sources for freight with cost containment, the better.
Just want to make sure the person going down this path has a clear idea of what they are jumping into.

Last edited:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Actually, even these days of "slow" freight, the fella that I sold to is still doing very, very well with his "two horse outfit". Many that fail hanging their own shingle, would not be a complete success under the umbrella of someone else because of their anticipation or need for instant gratification. Either side of the coin is not a "job" as so many treat it, it is a passionate committment. Nothing less will do the job. Granted, the new owner had a large running start over someone just stepping into the frey. As such, i'm sure there are other operators of "two horse" carriers that would like to step down also. You may be well advised to seek out these individuals.