Fed up & disgusted!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would run just a gen set and roof tops, if I could. Davekc suggested that may not be able too because some AlumiJunks do not have enough support for them. One shop has confirmed this.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Good catch on the generator on the Acemco, Joe. Maybe I'm showing my ignorance, but I'm wondering why you'd need it if the alternator feeds the 12v through an inverter anyhow.

Regarding the standalone generator/roof air setup, Domestic makes a split system setup just like the under bunk one you have now, with higher A/C output. Not sure what controls you'd need, but thought I'd throw that in the idea hat.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If an APU has no generator, the AC [and everything else] has to be powered by the inverter. It may require a large enough inverter to require more batteries to support the load - could be 6 of one, half dozen of another.
BYW: the Proheat on this truck has been pretty dependable, and nowhere near as trouble prone as LOS' - they're not all the pits.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Part of the problem with both APU's and Gensets is that we are being flat ripped off when it comes to price!

I had a whole house generator specked out earlier this year. It was an 8K unit, that hooked up to the natural gas at the house. It is automatic and comes on when the power fails. It even does self testing and monthly engine runs on it's own. The cost? 8K generator, all gas pluming, all electrical work, 5K. Truckers are being taken to the cleaners on this stuff. :mad:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Not sure I agree we're being taken to the cleaners.
A few years back I was shopping for a genset.
Both ICT and Double Eagle were over $10,000 and neither could give me auto start. That technology must be awefully expensive.
Product development testing, warehousing, shipping,insurance, taxes, marketing, and product liability are all costly in this era. Those cost divided by such a small number of units sold result in the pricing we see. If it was such a lucrative market, the rate of failure of apu manufacturers would be lower.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not sure I agree we're being taken to the cleaners.
A few years back I was shopping for a genset.
Both ICT and Double Eagle were over $10,000 and neither could give me auto start. That technology must be awefully expensive.
Product development testing, warehousing, shipping,insurance, taxes, marketing, and product liability are all costly in this era. Those cost divided by such a small number of units sold result in the pricing we see. If it was such a lucrative market, the rate of failure of apu manufacturers would be lower.

All the same things can be said for whole house units, they are basically the exact same units, and they cost far less. Onan whole house units, same engines as the ones on motor homes, cost less.

A generator is a generator. There is nothing new or magic about them. An engine is an engine.

I am speaking more of just gensets more than APU's but I would bet they are over priced to take advantage of a captive group. They are taking advantage, and maybe taking part, in a government boondoggle.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The big difference would be volume. I imagine once a home genset is designed they could sell thousands world wide.
It's a pretty small market for truck size APUs.
I bought a new APU four years ago. Without even paying attention I know of three producers that have gone belly-up.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not apples to apples. Home units just make electricity. Most also are not diesel powered. There is a cost difference from gas to diesel. Plus the a/c cost on the apu will make the extra.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
If an APU has no generator, the AC [and everything else] has to be powered by the inverter. It may require a large enough inverter to require more batteries to support the load - could be 6 of one, half dozen of another.
BYW: the Proheat on this truck has been pretty dependable, and nowhere near as trouble prone as LOS' - they're not all the pits.

Aren't the rooftop models 12v, or are they 110? I have no idea....never owned one. If they're 12v, why through the inverter?

Also, FWIW, Ours is also relatively trouble-free. Loud, but fairly trouble-free.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Aren't the rooftop models 12v, or are they 110? I have no idea....never owned one. If they're 12v, why through the inverter?

Also, FWIW, Ours is also relatively trouble-free. Loud, but fairly trouble-free.

I think they are 110V. I was just talking with a FedEx drive a couple of weeks ago who's brand new, month old ProHeat's generator broke.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Pro heat or carrier. If a pro heat its a left over unit that could have been on the shelf a few years.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Pro heat or carrier. If a pro heat its a left over unit that could have been on the shelf a few years.

I got the name wrong, it was a ComfortPro. It does not matter, they are still made in the same place, by the same people. Carrier does not manufacture them. They just sell and provide a service network.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Proper installation is key. That's why I'm such a fan of Big Rigs in Gretna,Ne and New Braunfals,Tx. APUs are their main business in Texas. A large part of the Nebraska business too.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think a lemon could be had in all of them. Carrier gets a thumbs up because of their service network and even Speedco can do a service on them. At this point, I would say for us they are the most reliable when comparing them to our rigmasters and Onans.
Thermo-Kings are a option but they are strictly a 12v system. No actually 110 generator.
They did make one significant improvement when they went from R12 to R132 on the AC units.
As mentioned already, proper installation is key for something trouble-free. :cool:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think a lemon could be had in all of them. Carrier gets a thumbs up because of their service network and even Speedco can do a service on them. At this point, I would say for us they are the most reliable when comparing them to our rigmasters and Onans.
Thermo-Kings are a option but they are strictly a 12v system. No actually 110 generator.
They did make one significant improvement when they went from R12 to R132 on the AC units.
As mentioned already, proper installation is key for something trouble-free. :cool:

Part of the problem with the Carrier is they are weak on the A/C BTU's and have to work hard all the time. Another serious problem, in my opinion, is that they have to be plumbed into the truck. I understand the idea, BUT, when you do have a problem it costs a TON to keep coolant in the truck and it can take out the truck. I don't know how it affects the truck when you run the APU and truck at the same time.

Installation is important, I have little doubt that AlumiJunk did not do a good job. As to the network, not one of the shops that Carrier supports has yet been able to fix this one, not impressed.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Some roof supports, an Onan , and a roof top and you'll be good to go.
Under $15,000.
Or,Jeff Jones would love to take an M-2 in trade....