Fed Ex and can't see the forest for the trees

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I have only been affiliated with FECC for 7 years as a less than "A" team so don't take my word for it but, in that 7 years I have learned to be patient and not buy into the hype....
Do I get discouraged?
Every quarter if I was honest about it...
However year end is the deal breaker and I always seem to walk away from the table ahead of the house.
I made 30K to the truck this month (June) and not ashamed to say I am on the west coast with a less than 75 for the Holiday and enjoying some R&R..
Not every 4th of July has been like this (some better some worse) but in the end I still survive in a quality way...
Point is don't let other Leprechaun, Jim Jones, Obama types dictate your success or failure.
Your truck, your life, your dreams are just that...yours
You and you alone will realize the fruit of your efforts..
Certainly not of the Kool aid providers with blogs and agenda's.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Gee , I didn't realize that anyone, including Phil and Diane were dicating how anyone else other then themselves should or were dealing with FXCC....Get over it people...Everyone of you that are doing good or great aren't even to be congratulated, as i am sure that is what ypu expected when you set your goals.... Phil stated HIS AND DIANES findings and how those affected THEM..not anyone else...D8amn...this is getting hilarious as to everyone including those that DON'T run a TVAL truck coming out of the woodwork proclaiming how great they are doing!! More power to you...FXCC no longer worked for Phil and Diane...I didn't see anywhere where Phil indicted that everyone else was going to fail or even fall short of your goals...FXCC isn't falling off the face of the expediting earth, there are those that will continue to do great..congratualtions on doing what you expected to do...

Let it go people...enjoy all that FXCC does for those of you that are doing great, and if you can find it within yourselves, wish Phil and Diane all the best at their new goals....:rolleyes:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Point is don't let other Leprechaun, Jim Jones, Obama types dictate your success or failure.
Your truck, your life, your dreams are just that...yours
You and you alone will realize the fruit of your efforts..

Really good post and I enjoyed reading it. You said many things that we believe. It is our truck, our life, and our dreams we are following.

Thank You Thank You for saying something positive it was like a breath of fresh air! It is not all doom and gloom and we talk to drivers everyday who are doing well and are happy.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I second Teamcaffee, it is hard to believe me saying this ... thanks for that it is very good.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
We are doing better than we have in the last couple years. I wish Phil and Diane the best, I really do, but their posts have been somewhat alarmist and more emotional than I have come to expect from someone so well versed in social media. Too many people here respect A team's opinion and experience and became fearful that the venerable lead cheerleaders would ever leave! I agree with the opinion of the poster and hope that A team will make the $2.67 /mi they require. As for us, we will be fine running for a bit less that that. They require top money, they can go looking for it. Money is still good here and when it is not, I shall too leave. I hope to not make a fool of myself when I do.
Right now, there need not be a mass Fed-Exodus. Hehe. Sorry.

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Sorry, Dennis, but you're wrong.

You attempt to portray this as Madsen stating what is happening is solely to his operation, but an easy read through the lines says otherwise. Whether he attempts to elicit sympathy for his 'plight', or puts seeds of doubt in other TVAL (or any FDCC) contractor, by statements like, "It's as if someone is sitting at headquarters, intentionally thinking up more and more ways to encourage contractors to leave" , he is inviting others into the fray. You see others, myself included, piping up to point out that things are not as bad as one sole contractor team reports.

For someone who purports to write, here and elsewhere, at great length for the benefit of others, a look back at his recent posts are counterproductive to that end.

While I don't wish anyone ill will or bad business, his recent ravings should be a lesson in inflexibility. IMHO, he attempted to attract flies with vinegar. Like you, I wish them success at their new carrier. The LEAM folks (except Greg) seem to be a quiet bunch...and maybe for good reason. While I'm distinctly aware that folks in Green monitor these boards (and yes, I'm sure Madsen posted most of them for effect....not sure if the result was what he expected), it will be interesting to see if the LEAM people tolerate his 'perceived' dirty laundry the way FDCC has.

Again, while I wish them no ill will, I and several others warned of this several months ago. Crapping where you eat ain't cool. My sympathy for him is in the dictionary between sh** and syphillis.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think that if people want to talk about Phil and Diane or anyone else specifically then they should start another thread for that.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
... or puts seeds of doubt in other TVAL (or any FDCC) contractor, by statements like, "It's as if someone is sitting at headquarters, intentionally thinking up more and more ways to encourage contractors to leave" ...

You know how important this quote is?

It says a lot. Actually for a few of us, it tells the exact reason for these comments.

If you can't figure out what this is really all about, then you need to read all the threads over.

As for Dennis, he needs to understand no one hates or has a disdain for Phil, he is helpful and full of a lot of info for everyone.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You attempt to portray this as Madsen stating what is happening is solely to his operation, but an easy read through the lines says otherwise.

The down side of publishing anything is that every reader gets to read your words however one pleases. Everything gets interpreted and it is the interpreter who determines the end result. Read through the lines, between the lines, into the lines or around the lines all you wish. There is nothing I can do about what you conclude.

Whether he attempts to elicit sympathy for his 'plight', or puts seeds of doubt in other TVAL (or any FDCC) contractor, by statements like, "It's as if someone is sitting at headquarters, intentionally thinking up more and more ways to encourage contractors to leave" , he is inviting others into the fray. You see others, myself included, piping up to point out that things are not as bad as one sole contractor team reports.

Fair enough. Things got bad enough for Diane and me to motivate us to leave. Things were not as bad for some other contractors and they did not leave. People representing both points of view said their piece.

When others jumped in to praise the company or state their positive circumstances, I never questioned them, called them liars or read more into it. I said what I said, they said what they said, end of story.

That is, except for the people who dearly love to spend time talking and talking and talking about what I say. They complain about the influence my posts supposedly have (something that is vastly overplayed, I believe), and then they draw attention to them again and again and again by quoting them across threads and blowing them up to big issues.

(I see nothing wrong with people quoting anything across threads. My point here is about people drawing attention to my posts and then complaining about how my posts get attention.)

I did not start the "Phil made the jump" thread. If you look at my departure post, you will see that I made no grand announcement or long speeches about why. I simply said we were leaving and asked Dreamer to remove my access to the FedEx Custom Critical forum. No longer being at stake for what goes on at that company, I had nothing more to say.

Thinking it would soon fade away, I did not participate in the "Phil made the jump" thread at all until it went three pages deep and I felt the need to put up post #39 to defend FedEx against the developing and false (I believe) view that they would terminate someone for being outspoken on EO.

You are the one, not me, bringing the "sitting at headquarters" quote back to the fore. It was a rant. I forgot about it soon after I wrote it. Why can't you?

For someone who purports to write, here and elsewhere, at great length for the benefit of others, a look back at his recent posts are counterproductive to that end.

That depends on your point of view, does it not? While lots of folks may be delighted to be with FedEx Custom Critical, and while they freely and frequently post on EO, there are others with an alternative point of view. How would readers benefit more, from hearing one view or hearing many?

While I don't wish anyone ill will or bad business, his recent ravings should be a lesson in inflexibility.

Actually, the exact opposite is true. I stand as a shining example of flexibility. For many years people criticized me for being too proud, too supportive, and too positively vocal of FedEx Custom Critical. The FedEx critics criticized me, sometimes fiercely.

You want flexibility? Look at someone like me who saw the company change and in turn changed his mind, spoke about the changes and moved on. A staunch defender of FedEx for many years proved flexible enough to react to company developments, not by defending the company but by seeking out other opportunities.

IMHO, he attempted to attract flies with vinegar. Like you, I wish them success at their new carrier. The LEAM folks (except Greg) seem to be a quiet bunch...and maybe for good reason.

They are certainly quiet about their freight and their runs and the company. I have not figured out why yet but being brand new I'm not inclined to talk either.

While I'm distinctly aware that folks in Green monitor these boards (and yes, I'm sure Madsen posted most of them for effect....not sure if the result was what he expected), it will be interesting to see if the LEAM people tolerate his 'perceived' dirty laundry the way FDCC has.

Some companies have more dirty laundry than others.

I did not know he had left FedEx Custom Critical for Landstar a few weeks before Diane and me, but a former FDCC contractor who Diane and I knew when we were there heard that we moved and called to welcome us aboard. He told me how impressed he was that he had yet to hear another Landstar driver knock the company. He said that he had been checking, trying to draw people out in that way but to no avail.

He has only been there a short time but is delighted so far. I gathered that his attempt to draw negative comments out from other Landstar contractors was his way of reassuring himself that it is OK and safe to feel delighted about the company. It is very reassuring to him to hear again and again from drivers (BCOs) who are happy.

I have not tried to draw negative comments out of others but have had the opportunity to sit in the drivers lounge at a company training center as Landstar drivers come and go. They did not know me from Adam and I simply sat and listened.

When they gather, Landstar BCOs have a profoundly different kind of conversation than the the conversation that typically develops when FedEx Custom Critical contractors gather. The company structures, cultures and contractor attitudes truly differ.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gee whiz...ya all going to beat this to death....

Someone elects to use their best judgement, they stated their reasons for doing so and moved on...what is the big deal?....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OVM,
It is because it is not someone ... I think there is a real purpose to all of this that goes beyond the BS and no one seems to get how the past seems to as important as the present when it comes to some of these someones.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM,
It is because it is not someone ... I think there is a real purpose to all of this that goes beyond the BS and no one seems to get how the past seems to as important as the present when it comes to some of these someones.

Akin to when I left E-1 last year in what looked to be a sudden move....and some brew-ha in here...

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We left our previous carrier because our business plan and theirs were going in opposing directions after years of service with them, as with Phil and Diane. We were mentors, and considered to be one of "the top teams" according to the company. We left, it wasn't the end of the world and the company wasn't going to come to an untimely demise because of our leaving, so why would The Fed because they left? They won't. Phil and Diane did what they felt best for them, and you would do the same if you felt that strongly. That being said, they will be replaced, and the freight keeps rolling. I amsure they will do fine in their new ventures and in the words of Joe Dirt "Keep on keepin on."

Big Redd

Expert Expediter
I'm just happy to see some postings that are not tearing down FXCC. I wish more folks would come out of the shadows like me and admit to being very happy with FXCC....

bcordell70

Expert Expediter
Me and the wife have been with Fedex for 1 yr now and are still pretty happy there, I have expressed my concerns here about west coast runs, and the rise of the flat rate trucks. However, that dont change our game plan with Fedex and I am sure it dont change Fedex game plan for any of us that are still there.

I am happy for Phil and Diane, and even for some others that arent with Fedex any longer, but as long as we make enough for us thats all that matters.

MayfieldExp

Seasoned Expediter
Fedex Custom Critical is a great company. I enjoyed working there as a driver for the most part. Sometimes White Glove would be a pain, if I was to give them a rating it would be a A-.
Only reason I'm not still with them is because my Mom and step Dad moved the trucks to Panther. It wasn't because they was a bad company that the trucks was moved to Panther. It was because my step dad was told he couldn't drive for them for 6 months, Other wise the trucks would still be there I'm sure.

My step dad got over being mad at Fedex and even has Fedex pictures hanging in their office. Dave says all the time that not every carrier is going to be the perfect fit for everyone. It don't matter where Phil and Diana goes or who they are leased on with. What matters is what carrier works for your needs at the time. Fedex didn't work for them anymore so they moved on. People change carriers all the time for many different reasons.

Good luck to Phil and Diana

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think that it doesn't matter when you really come down to it.

As one member of a WG team mentioned to me this afternoon, it seems that the more marginal players cry about their plight and leave, the better it will be for those who are serious about the company and their business.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Phil stated HIS AND DIANES findings and how those affected THEM..not anyone else...D8amn...!!

FXCC no longer worked for Phil and Diane...I didn't see anywhere where Phil indicted that everyone else was going to fail or even fall short of your goals...

Chef, this is what I, and many others, disagree with you on when it comes to Phil leaving FDCC.

For the last 6 weeks, Phil was posting his discourse with the changes going on over at the Fed with the company owned trucks. On his Blog, and here on the board, he was airing his opinions, as well speaking about his talks with "other" drivers and their disdain towards what was going on at the Fed. While he was smart enough not to be naming names of these other drivers, he was making quotes like "several other drivers have called me over this", like "we had a discussion with 2-3 other drivers over this at breakfast, lunch, dinner, whenever", and "I have shared several e-mails with other drivers who aired their disdain also". It was almost like he was trying to set himself up as a "Union Rep" by portraying himself as the "go to" guy for other WG-TV drivers when it came to their concerns over this company owned equipment fiasco.

I saw it, others saw it too, and I was the one that basically/finally said "Hey - Phart, Poop, or Get off the Pot" with my "Titantic" thread telling Phil, "get going now before it's too late".

And that leads to USA's view of what was going on below:

Sorry, Dennis, but you're wrong.

You attempt to portray this as Madsen stating what is happening is solely to his operation, but an easy read through the lines says otherwise. Whether he attempts to elicit sympathy for his 'plight', or puts seeds of doubt in other TVAL (or any FDCC) contractor, by statements like, "It's as if someone is sitting at headquarters, intentionally thinking up more and more ways to encourage contractors to leave" , he is inviting others into the fray. You see others, myself included, piping up to point out that things are not as bad as one sole contractor team reports.

While I don't wish anyone ill will or bad business, his recent ravings should be a lesson in inflexibility. IMHO, he attempted to attract flies with vinegar. Like you, I wish them success at their new carrier. The LEAM folks (except Greg) seem to be a quiet bunch...and maybe for good reason. While I'm distinctly aware that folks in Green monitor these boards (and yes, I'm sure Madsen posted most of them for effect....not sure if the result was what he expected), it will be interesting to see if the LEAM people tolerate his 'perceived' dirty laundry the way FDCC has.

Again, while I wish them no ill will, I and several others warned of this several months ago. Crapping where you eat ain't cool. My sympathy for him is in the dictionary between sh** and syphillis.

The underlined parts above are the straight forward truth. Phil talked himself right out of an 8 year contract with FedEx, plain and simple.

Now he's at another company. One that I believe will get his income back up to, or where it was in the past, once he learns the ins and outs of the company. I wish him the best of luck there at Landstar, and hope he learns from the mistake he made at the Fed. From what I know about Landstar, Phil is stepping into a whole new venue of trucking. Loads are not going to be handed to him on a silver platter because he has "this type of equipment", "all these certifications", and so on. Phil is about to become a true IOO and will have the opportunity to seek out the loads he needs through Landstar instead of having them sought out for him. His days of "Purple Stardom" are done, but with his past experience, all 8 years of it:rolleyes:, I fully see Phil being a successful IOO. And again, wish him luck at it too.

On a side note though, Phil has attempted to turn his termination at the Fed around here on the board. First he got a phone call saying termnation letter sent. Letter was sent, and along with letter, a second letter came rescinding the termination. I don't believe this for one bit. Even had a PM from a member, as well as an e-mail from another, that confirmed this was not FedEx SOP when it came to terminations. So, Phil is attempting to save his reputation by saying he left FedEx on his terms, not theirs. Truth is, as stated above, Phil got himself fired from FedEx, and that's that. Don't believe me...since I'm a "Troll" in Phils "mind", someone go ask him why he took down ALL of June 2011 (the disdain towards FedEx month) from his Blog.

Time to let the sleeping dog sleep. Phil will do just fine and still has my respect, it's just he needs to "grow up" at times.

(I know!!! I need to grow up at times toooooo!!!:p)

aileron

Expert Expediter
Gosh, another 'bash Phil' thread.
Why don't you all move on and be happy with whatever carrier you are with. Phil was not happy where he was and he moved on. Why can't you move on with your lives and leave him alone?

Is it so hard to understand that we all are different with different expectations, and some of us can put up with warts that others cant?