February

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well I find solace in reading how every other carrier had a crappy January. Talking to a lot of our customers they were down over 30% year over year. No one expected it or knows why. I am hoping it was the stupid fiscal cliff worries.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Well, I 'had' a good run that would have salvaged this week.. as Caryn was dispatching to me, someone else was working on it at the same time apparently.

Dale

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Cluster of heavier snow showers lingering over the area will be capable of a quick burst of low visibility but with just light accumulation around a half inch between 1100 am and noon. After that... The activity will break up into scattered lighter snow showers during the early afternoon. Locations most affected by the snow showers will be from the i 94 corridor in washtenaw and wayne counties to the i 96/696 corridor in livingston and southern oakland counties. Motorists should be alert for sudden drops in visibility to 1/4 mile or less for short periods of time but over short distance.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Well, I 'had' a good run that would have salvaged this week.. as Caryn was dispatching to me, someone else was working on it at the same time apparently. Dale
That has happened to me a couple of times also. All since the creation of the new system.

The first time, I was really happy to lose the load as it was one of those famous short, minimum rate loads. The second time, it was a Laredo load that got yanked away.

It seems to me that somebody had to be dispatching out of order...otherwise both dispatchers would be calling the same truck?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cluster of heavier snow showers lingering over the area will be capable of a quick burst of low visibility but with just light accumulation around a half inch between 1100 am and noon. After that... The activity will break up into scattered lighter snow showers during the early afternoon. Locations most affected by the snow showers will be from the i 94 corridor in washtenaw and wayne counties to the i 96/696 corridor in livingston and southern oakland counties. Motorists should be alert for sudden drops in visibility to 1/4 mile or less for short periods of time but over short distance.

the sun is out and it is coming down....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
That has happened to me a couple of times also. All since the creation of the new system.

The first time, I was really happy to lose the load as it was one of those famous short, minimum rate loads. The second time, it was a Laredo load that got yanked away.

It seems to me that somebody had to be dispatching out of order...otherwise both dispatchers would be calling the same truck?

Not exactly. This was a case where the correct unit got the load. Our dispatch software is web based. So what happens at times and in a case like this is really an issue of "refresh". A dispatcher sees a load in the available load screen, they then look at their available unit screen and see the oldest unit. They try and assign the load to the truck and find out that it has already been assigned to an older unit. They didn't see the older unit because that screen had refreshed and taken the unit out of available status. But if the unit screen refreshed and the load screen didn't you can be "out of sync" for lack of a better term. Hopefully that makes sense to everyone?

1expeditor

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not exactly. This was a case where the correct unit got the load. Our dispatch software is web based. So what happens at times and in a case like this is really an issue of "refresh". A dispatcher sees a load in the available load screen, they then look at their available unit screen and see the oldest unit. They try and assign the load to the truck and find out that it has already been assigned to an older unit. They didn't see the older unit because that screen had refreshed and taken the unit out of available status. But if the unit screen refreshed and the load screen didn't you can be "out of sync" for lack of a better term. Hopefully that makes sense to everyone?

ooooops kinda confused...:confused:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Basically if you are looking at multiple internet screens they don't refresh all at the same time. As well different users can all be looking at the same screen but see different things as not everyone's screen refreshes at the same moment.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like having 2 windows open at the same time...say EO on both windows...one will be different then the other because new info comes unto the page...you refresh only 1 window and it changes but the 2nd window does not...unless you hit the refresh button as well...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Like having 2 windows open at the same time...say EO on both windows...one will be different then the other because new info comes unto the page...you refresh only 1 window and it changes but the 2nd window does not...unless you hit the refresh button as well...

Bingo. The screens are normally set to auto refresh every few minutes, but they don't all do it at the same time.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I guess that also explains why I was recently called twice about a min. apart for the same load.

Hey January... buh bye :p

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Yeah, it's all good they got me another 1 not as long but a ridiculous rate :)

me

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
That makes sense. Is there any solution for the problem. Im guessing it is as frustrating for the dispatchers as it is for the driver.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I don't have one off the top of my head. You would need every screen to refresh at the same time on every computer. That is probably not possible and would possible crash internet speed. Less likely to happen since the change as less people are doing the same jobs so that does help cut the chances down some.