February 2016 locations

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Some GPS manufacturers take kickbacks from privately-held roads, and toll road authorities. They will continuously reroute you to a toll road. I would not ever make an electronic purchase at any truck stop for that matter no Cb no GPS. No TV or VCR antennas dishes wiring
I thought privately held roads were only a Texas thing. When you say electronic purchase do you mean debit or credit card or a online shopping purchase?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Some GPS manufacturers take kickbacks from privately-held roads, and toll road authorities.
No they don't.
They will continuously reroute you to a toll road.
A) When you set it for "fastest route" the fastest route is not surprisingly the toll road. And B) it's really easy to completely avoid toll roads by setting your GPS to, you know, "Avoid Tolls."

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cleaned the driveway before 10 am ... road grader went by 15 minutes later ... went to County courthouse and renewed PM plates ... roads and visibilty still not the Best ... went back in service ... took an Expeditor Nap .... no load calls ... but i am good with that ... at home in Iowa ....:D
Looked out before dark ... seen this Doe with banged up left front leg in our front year ... walked up and was eating dead flowers on front deck ...

Attachments

• 1455062974570.jpg
    1455062974570.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 1455062990735.jpg
    1455062990735.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 38

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Looked out before dark ... seen this Doe with banged up left front leg in our front year ... walked up and was eating dead flowers on front deck ...
Ah the poor thing..Over the years I've found several dead ones that didn't make it through the winter..they come into my groves of trees in town to stay warmer and they'll eat everything they can. So you going to eat her or feed her?

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Using your debit or credit card should be fine I'm talking about their product. yes I understand the concept of the fastest route setting. For example set a GPS to economy route, or to the shortest distance route. And watch out it will still take you to the toll road. In addition there is another setting try avoiding a part of a route, again back to the toll road. I forget exactly which model it was.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ah the poor thing..Over the years I've found several dead ones that didn't make it through the winter..they come into my groves of trees in town to stay warmer and they'll eat everything they can. So you going to eat her or feed her?
Feed her .... i don't like deer meat .... 2 weeks ago we through out some frozen sweet corn on the cob for her ..3 days later ...all gone ...
PS ...heading to Waterloo (load) to Mount Vernon , IL. am delivery .....:D

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I do I have the one they sell at truck stops the rand McNally 2016 edition. If I hadn't compared routes I'd have somehow turn 336 loaded miles into 649 travelled miles

Wow!!! That's bad, bad, bad. You gotta figure that out.
And for sure, get a road atlas. At some point one has to look at a MAP and use common sense.
From where you were to Dayton does NOT involve Knox-anything!!!
Come on Jordan. Paper maps ARE you friend in a semi they are. Do NOT fight it.
300 extra miles in a semi is a ton of money.
Be safe, my friend!!

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Wow!!! That's bad, bad, bad. You gotta figure that out.
And for sure, get a road atlas. At some point one has to look at a MAP and use common sense.
From where you were to Dayton does NOT involve Knox-anything!!!
Come on Jordan. Paper maps ARE you friend in a semi they are. Do NOT fight it.
300 extra miles in a semi is a ton of money.
Be safe, my friend!!
Oh no doubt I don't wanna drive that extra mileage anymore than averitt wants to pay for it. But I got my route plans out via old school paper atlas and my phone so shouldn't be a probably

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some of these new GPS' are just to much. To many setting and options and features. We really dont need all that stuff. We tried a new one and i returned it in about 3 days and went back to my prehistoric Garmin Street Pilot that we have had since 2006. Still works, very rarely ever messes up and is rite 90 % of the time. If i dont like its routing and there is a better way or a route that we prefer we just put in a via point and it changes to what we want. Some newer streets are not in it cause i have not updated but i just use the I-phone for a quick reference to get the next to the last street and use common sense and go from there. We like just one device working not like some we see where they have 3 GPS' going all at once. Never could understand that mentality !!!!!

Reactions: schwanman

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Only thing good about this mild weather is not having to buy windshield fluid and anti gel ! Everything else just plain sucks

Reactions: TDave

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
No, my plan was the old measure twice, cut once. That store is so big that I took a chance on a couple of storage gizmo's.
Moved closer to Indy last night.
I went to the ikea in Austin well round rock/cedar park/Leander/Georgetown dang every little suburb of Austin has grown into Austin, and bough probably $400 worth of stuff I've never used and that was last year.

At the pilot in Chillicothe taking a shower break since I got tied up for 6.5 hours at a shipper last night. No facilities to speak just a portajohn. It's 2016 western Virginia time to embrace indoor plumbing, heck even Kentucky and West Virginia have it now