Dry Run Pay

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Today I accepted a run offer, was almost instantly told not to head to the shipper right away. After 20 min. was told run was cancelled. Run number was assigned, I requested dry run pay. Was called by a coordinador and informed the rules had changed and if the customer was not charged, no dry run pay would be paid. I am not in favor of changing the rules mid-stream. Was everyone advised of this change? I am not aware of official notification on this matter.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
It has been our finding that some cancelled runs pay dry run pay and some do not. Some pay quite well and others not so well.
It has always been my opinion that if you invested time and miles (fuel) that you should get something.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dispatch has learned that shippers often cancel when they could only find a truck too far out to meet there expections. It is perfectly understandable they would ask the truck to wait while they find out if the customer can wait the extra rime.
The only wrinkle here is that the truck has usually started his 14 hr clock while waiting confirmation.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the wheels started turning to head toward the shipper you should get dry run pay. If the wheels never rolled there's no dry run pay. That's how it was explained in my orientation at least. The catch is if they said wait and the wheels rolled there's no dry run pay since the truck rolled before dispatch said to roll. Personally I'd like it to be every single time without exception if a run number is assigned. I doubt it will happen.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dispatch has learned that shippers often cancel when they could only find a truck too far out to meet there expections. It is perfectly understandable they would ask the truck to wait while they find out if the customer can wait the extra rime.
The only wrinkle here is that the truck has usually started his 14 hr clock while waiting confirmation.

In this instance I was 14 miles from the shipper. In the past, if a run had a number assigned, you would get dry run pay. You often had to ask for it, you sometimes had to take it up another level but if a run number was assigned, dry run pay was paid. I was told the procedure has changed, from this point forward, if the customer is not charged, there will not be dry run pay. In the past it did not matter, if a run number was assigned, you were paid.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Another thing about this - from a business stand point, you accepted the load, which then took you off the board. That means you could potentially miss other opportunities during that wait. I assume they gave you a <75 but it still tied up your unit during that time. Whether FDCC charges the customer or not FDCC is the one that reserved the unit while waiting for the customer. If FDCC decides to give the customer extra time or an out so the customer is not charged, then FDCC bears the responsibility of taking the unit off the board and should compensate that unit in some way (besides a <75). I think you should go over this with your CR. india

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I did review this with my CR, I was told the policy has changed, and there will be no dry run pay unless the customer is charged. I did receive -75, but was tied up for 20 min. not a huge deal, but I wanted others to know what the "new" policy will be.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Looks like there have been changes, and it would be nice is we were informed. We had a dry run earlier in the month. Ran around 60 or so miles toward the shipper before getting the dreaded "This run is cancelling" message. Went to the nearest truckstop to wait on the next load. When the dry run pay through it was for a little over $26!

We called.

Dispatcher said they were using a new "process". We had a negative in the run pay portion of the QC message. After calling and talking to the dispatcher (and he to his supervisor), it turns out it was a "glitch" in the system. We were getting the wrong pay in the QC message, but it was coming through correct on their end. He assured us we would be paid the proper amount. We saved the original QC message, and our conversations with dispatch.

We got our pay statement yesterday, and sure enough, we were paid the correct amount.

Something has changed. Now if we just knew what!:mad:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
This is nothing new. We had the same things happening on dry runs more than 8 months ago.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Its always been like that. If the customer isn't charged than you won't be paid a dry run pay. If a customer calls up before 90 minutes of scheduled pu than they won't be charged. If you enroute to the pick up and the 90 min isn't a factor you should be paid, if they say don't leave for pu until notofied than you won't be paid.

Been driving for them since '85. Its always been like this.