Cargo Van Dodge ProMaster

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Does anyone know whether the wall panelling is available yet? They we're suppose to start producing them may 1st.

My friend ordered panelling from canada I believe. I think they were aftermarket though. If you want more info I can find out for you.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
My paneling and insulation tape from Lowe's for nine dollars a sheet. Of course mine is probably as pretty as some molded plastic stuff.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My paneling and insulation tape from Lowe's for nine dollars a sheet. Of course mine is probably as pretty as some molded plastic stuff.

Sorry Murray , most guys don't like the Flower paneling that your wife picked out for you.....lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If your just looking to hold in insulation and keep the dents to a minimum, try "Luan" from any lumber yard.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone know whether the wall panelling is available yet? They we're suppose to start producing them may 1st.

I don't think they are yet. My dealer saw my polyurethane coated red oak panels and want to sell them for me saying, "We have people asking for liners and I can't get them anywhere."

I made patterns so I can duplicate them for our future vans but they are too costly to sell at any price someone would pay.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Dodge just emailed saying, "we are doing some customer studies, on the vehicle side, and you provided great input.

Do you mind if I have a marketing firm reach out to you to get some testimonial on the vehicle"?

Any other promaster owners have neg/pos feedback they'd like to provide please msg me on here.

I have been generally very positive up until this last trip to West Virginia and back. I have had previous comment about the stupid transmission and how it hunt gears, which has slowed down now that I've got some miles on it. However going through the mountains revealed a transmission glitch that is a real deathtrap!

Whether the transmission selector is in automatic or manual makes almost no difference, and it makes no difference whatsoever that the transmission decides by itself whenever it wants to downshift. I really mean whenever it wants to downshift it does with no warning.

So what I experienced in the deep dark hours of the morning going through the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia would scare the hell out of anyone! As I drove up grade, passing dozens of big rigs loaded mostly to their 80,000 pound limit, everything was fine. However as I crested each mountain and started on the downhill was when the excitement really began! As the big trucks crested the top and begin the downgrade, of course they started picking up real speed, at least the speed limit and probably more. The Promaster decides all by itself that's going to downshift 2 or 3 gears to try to maintain the speed I was going uphill, resulting in 4,000+ rpms! THERE IS NO WAY TO MANUALLY SELECT THE GEAR, AND THE RESULTING SPEED, THE PROMASTER GOES DOWN THE HILL... ALL WITH OUT ANY BRAKE LIGHTS TO WARN THE SLEEPY BIG RIG DRIVERS THE PROMASTER IS IN THEIR WAY!!!! STUPID!!!!

This repeated dozens of times throughout both trips. The ONLY WAY to keep out of their way is, while the Promaster has down shifted by itself to 4,000+ rpms, TO FLOOR THE ACCELERATOR TO FORCE THE THING TO GO FASTER THAN IT WANTS TO!!!! STUPID!!!!!!

The lack of driver control of downshifting is going to get Promasters punted off mountainsides!!! The STUPID engineers that programed automatic downshifting that cannot be overridden, even though there is a "manual" range on the gearshift selector, should be strapped to my back doors for a ride through the moutains! IF they didn't have a heart attack, they would change the transmission programming the next day!!!

This is a HUGE PROBLEM! I'm not adding any more Promasters until we get driver control over downshifting, period!!!

The shifter already has the capability, Chrysler just has to allow the reprograming.

Last edited:

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I have been generally very positive up until this last trip to West Virginia and back. I have had previous comment about the stupid transmission and how it hunt gears, which has slowed down now that I've got some miles on it. However going through the mountains revealed a transmission glitch that is a real deathtrap!

Whether the transmission selector is in automatic or manual makes almost no difference, and it makes no difference whatsoever that the transmission decides by itself whenever it wants to downshift. I really mean whenever it wants to downshift it does with no warning.

So what I experienced in the deep dark hours of the morning going through the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia would scare the hell out of anyone! As I drove up grade, passing dozens of big rigs loaded mostly to their 80,000 pound limit, everything was fine. However as I crested each mountain and started on the downhill was when the excitement really began! As the big trucks crested the top and begin the downgrade, of course they started picking up real speed, at least the speed limit and probably more. The Promaster decides all by itself that's going to downshift 2 or 3 gears to try to maintain the speed I was going uphill, resulting in 4,000+ rpms! THERE IS NO WAY TO MANUALLY SELECT THE GEAR, AND THE RESULTING SPEED, THE PROMASTER GOES DOWN THE HILL... ALL WITH OUT ANY BRAKE LIGHTS TO WARN THE SLEEPY BIG RIG DRIVERS THE PROMASTER IS IN THEIR WAY!!!! STUPID!!!!

This repeated dozens of times throughout both trips. The ONLY WAY to keep out of their way is, while the Promaster has down shifted by itself to 4,000+ rpms, TO FLOOR THE ACCELERATOR TO FORCE THE THING TO GO FASTER THAN IT WANTS TO!!!! STUPID!!!!!!

The lack of driver control of downshifting is going to get Promasters punted off mountainsides!!! The STUPID engineers that programed automatic downshifting that cannot be overridden, even though there is a "manual" range on the gearshift selector, should be strapped to my back doors for a ride through the moutains! IF they didn't have a heart attack, they would change the transmission programming the next day!!!

This is a HUGE PROBLEM! I'm not adding any more Promasters until we get driver control over downshifting, period!!!

The shifter already has the capability, Chrysler just has to allow the reprograming.

My toyota tundra did the same thing. All the "manual shift" was useful for was keeping it out of the 6th gear on little hills. This kept it from shifting between 5 & 6 repeatedly. But other than that it would still do whatever it felt it needed to do. Does any auto give the driver real manual control?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I would love to put my hands on a cargo van with a manual transmission. Then it would only downshift when I want it to.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
could not throw it manually into neutral to stop the over rev?.....

I tried that... BIG MISTAKE... although it let the van coast downhill freely, when it was time to put it in gear, the engine rpms had settled but the transmission never forgot it was last in 4th gear so when I put it back in gear, the engine was forced back to 4,000+ rpms causing such sudden deceleration my glasses flew off and it felt like the transmission was left on the highway!!!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I would love to put my hands on a cargo van with a manual transmission. Then it would only downshift when I want it to.

The stupid thing is the Promaster has both fully automatic AND manual ranges on the shifter... BUT the manual range ONLY enables the driver to force downshifting, NOT PREVENT DOWNSHIFTING!!!

Apparently the diesel may have that capability when it arrives!?!?!?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Get the info on the CEO that was used recently and notify him. Maybe it will roll downhill to the correct people.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Must be one of them Made for the US of A modifications....and to think Ford is doing mega modifications to the Transit for whatever reasons other then U.S. engineers peeing on the new models...

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
Chrysler is sending me another $600 check since the promaster was in shop for cpl more days. Water coming in thru slider and rear doors. They replaced the weather stripping and rear leaf bushings. This van keeps it up chrysler will make more of my van payments. Driver side window started acting up also. $2,100 for out of service days so far.