Cargo Van Dodge ProMaster

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 4600 mile avg is 25.2 mpg. That's idling, Toronto traffic, and border sitting included.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Yeah I'm happy. 07 Sprinter 170 wb DPF delete and ecm economy tune.

Is there a difference in emissions between Sprinters designed for America and Canada? Was that DPF the only exhaust emissions equipment? (EGR, smog pump)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is there a difference in emissions between Sprinters designed for America and Canada? Was that DPF the only exhaust emissions equipment? (EGR, smog pump)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Same equipment. I bought it in Michigan (and the egr is electronically clamped shut too). Zero smoke, 4 mpg better, and longer oil life due to it not being crapped upon. Take that, EPA.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Zero smoke, 4 mpg better, and longer oil life due to it not being crapped upon. Take that, EPA.
We all want clean air, but just how clean does the air we breath really need to be? Air quality today has to be much cleaner than it was prior to the 1970's when there were no catalytic perverters, DPF, EGRs, DEF, smoke stack scrubbers and the rest of the air pollution abatement devices. In the end, if Scott's Sprinter gets 4 mpg better without some of the emission stuff, wouldn't that equate to cleaner air? Less fuel burned, less crude refined, less crude shipped, less air pollution.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I JUST talked to an owner/operator of a 2014 $printer in the yard and he said his AVERAGE mpg is 20.45.

Sent from my SM-N900V using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you know which engine? Don't they have 2 engine choices for 2014?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Do you know which engine? Don't they have 2 engine choices for 2014?

I didn't ask what engine. I figured it must be the turbo - diesel 4 cylinder. It did say something like bluetec or blue banana on the rear door... blue something...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I JUST talked to an owner/operator of a 2014 $printer in the yard and he said his AVERAGE mpg is 20.45.

Sent from my SM-N900V using EO Forums mobile app

Westy..you jack the tire pressure UP any...or you still running factory specs because of warranty?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Westy..you jack the tire pressure UP any...or you still running factory specs because of warranty?

Funny you asked... actually, another little idiosyncrasy of this van is, while the maximum tire pressure listed on the tire says 83 psi, if I don't run at least 85 psi, the stupid warning light on the dash comes on! Fairly common I've heard.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Funny you asked... actually, another little idiosyncrasy of this van is, while the maximum tire pressure listed on the tire says 83 psi, if I don't run at least 85 psi, the stupid warning light on the dash comes on! Fairly common I've heard.

holy crap that is one hard tire.....

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Ram says the transmission learns your driving style and reprograms itself to compliment your driving style. This appears to be true... the crazy downshifting syndrome seems to have all but disappeared. Even when on cruise control, it waits much longer before downshifting now, which I like much better.

However, I would still LOVE the manual mode on the transmission to be fully manual!!!

I have driven her I around the midwest enough now to say confidentally that anyone with a 159" 3500 extended driven as though they are own the truck and are paying the gas bill for expediting in, should get about 20 miles per gallon on average.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have driven her I around the midwest enough now to say confidentally that anyone with a 159" 3500 extended driven as though they are own the truck and are paying the gas bill for expediting in, should get about 20 miles per gallon on average.

Using the national average at the top of the page, $3.66, and calculating to $1.25 based on 15mpg, a common formula for vans among many carriers, yields a fsc of 16cpm. Someone driving as if they own the truck and pay for the fuel themselves getting 20mpg will get $3.20 in fsc per gallon used. Paying $3.66 and getting $3.20 means their net cost for fuel is 46 cents per gallon or 2.3 cents per mile. That's pretty economical fuel for all miles driven subject to fsc.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone know whether the wall panelling is available yet? They we're suppose to start producing them may 1st.