Do you carry extra keys?

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I do- at least in winter when I have extra pockets. I have to fess up in summer not so much.

And am dang glad sure I did this time. I found my main set 20 minutes later, but the place I delivered to would have been peeved if they had to keep their overhead door in Michigan open for that time while I found em.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't lock my drivers door without the key. I do have a spare but do not carry it on me because there is no need.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Always! One time getting "that feeling" as the door clicked shut was enough!

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nope...nada... AAA locksmith if i need it...

AAA won't be able to help if you drop them down the drain due to holes in your worn out short pocket. It's a Sprinter you know. I always have an extra set with me. I have 4 sets, two with me and two at home. Everyone will need that extra set sooner or later. Best to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. But, then again I guess Bison folks just don't think that way.....

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I like to carry and extra set so that I can continue to "warm" the global climate while I stop to take care of business.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You can't be outside the van and lock a Sprinter with the key in the ignition, without using another key. The remote doesn't work when a key is in the ignition. You can't open a door, lock it, and then shut it with it remaining locked. If you lock your keys in a Sprinter, and then lose your spare, it's stupefyingly and frighteningly easy to pop the triangle window with a screw driver.

Of course, by the time you've secured a screw driver, whoever saw you drop your spare will probably have already driven off in the Sprinter. :D

My rear door lock is sometimes cranky. I'll pop the dash button to unlock the doors, go back to open the rear door, and it's still locked. I reach into my pocket and take the key out and unlock the door. I gotta be careful when popping the button to lock all the doors, too, 'cause it can be cranky that way, too.

But yeah, the key/remote with nothing attached is always in my pants pocket. Comes in handy every now and then.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have 3 chipped keys, the 2 it came with plus one extra they gave me for having me drive 48 miles back for a paperwork error. All 3 are with me. Next time home I'll get a couple of metal keys made that will unlock the door but won't start the van. I'll leave one chipped key at home and bring one metal key along.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I locked my self out of a cab over International many years ago back then thou the little window on the passenger door down by the floor was easy to pop out just pull on the seal took about 20 seconds at most too bad the crook that broke out that same window when I parked down in New Orleans for Mardi Gras didnt just pull on the seal , then stole all my stuff since that lock out I have always have an extra key with me

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
one in the wallet,,,one around my neck on a chain, that one I never missplace, the wallet can get lost, but I can get in the van, plus one in an old fashion magnetic box on the frame somewhere, lmao.:D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you carry extra keys?

Yes I do!I keep one key either in the ignition or toss it in the cup holder. I have another key stashed in a secret magnetic key holder hidden on the driver's side frame rail just south of the second body mount point.

I have another van key on my 6" diameter key ring that is connected to a 36" length of retractable chain. The 6" diameter key ring also contains keys to locks I previously owned or never owned which includes but is not limited to: 1973 Mercury Capri, several Ford keys, a key embossed Briggs & Stratton that was the ignition key for my 1963 IH pickup and also opened, I swear this is the truth, Tampax vending machines, a roller skate key, miscellaneous padlock keys, old house and apartment keys and one skeleton key.

I also keep a spare van key in my chain-drive wallet along with some money, credit cards, beef jerky, my cell phone number, an extra pair of socks, underwear, my Boy Scouts of America ID card, iodine tablets and a spork.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you carry extra keys?

I also keep a spare van key in my chain-drive wallet along with some money, credit cards, beef jerky, my cell phone number, an extra pair of socks, underwear, my Boy Scouts of America ID card, iodine tablets and a spork.

You forgot about your secret decoder ring. :rolleyes:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Do you carry extra keys?

Yes I do!I keep one key either in the ignition or toss it in the cup holder. I have another key stashed in a secret magnetic key holder hidden on the driver's side frame rail just south of the second body mount point.

I have another van key on my 6" diameter key ring that is connected to a 36" length of retractable chain. The 6" diameter key ring also contains keys to locks I previously owned or never owned which includes but is not limited to: 1973 Mercury Capri, several Ford keys, a key embossed Briggs & Stratton that was the ignition key for my 1963 IH pickup and also opened, I swear this is the truth, Tampax vending machines, a roller skate key, miscellaneous padlock keys, old house and apartment keys and one skeleton key.

Now everyone on this site can break into your truck with the secret hidden key :rolleyes:

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
i don't shut my door until i check to see that my spare is hooked to my belt loop....i can't stop thinking of how stupid i would feel to come out and see the truck gone because i didn't lock the door.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
AAA is a good thing. Especially on Christmas day with a hot load that pays double and your standing at the fuel pumps locked out and a line of trucks behind you.
"I'll be right there just as soon as my kids open their gifts" said the lock man from AAA.
Oh yeh 15 degrees out.
Merry Christmas.