Do straight trucks have to stop at weigh stations

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So all of those yellow Penske rentals rolling up and down the highway that are under 10,001 lbs are Not CMV and do not need to scale....

True! :) But I was talking about the ones between 10 and 26K. They're the ones who used to slip by because the cops assumed they were being driven by Ma & Pa; the Kettles are not operating in interstate commerce. Now, however, they've had to wise up and have a look just to be sure.

Don't worry about the Kettles; once they show the officer their rental contract and open the roll-up high enough for him to see furniture and grocery boxes marked "Billy's Room", they'll be thanked for their cooperation and told to have a nice day.

On the other hand, the guy who acts nervous and shifty in the presence of authority, who doesn't want Officer Krupke to see the 8 pallets of dollar-a-mile freight in the back of Ole Yeller, HE has a right to be nervous now :eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Chef,
The state can decide to have a stricter law or regulation, they are not governed by the DOT regulations but many states adopt it to save time or as a harmonization agreement between neighboring states.

The federal government regulates the rules between the states, they do not have patrols on the highways to ensure that their regulations are followed. Instead it is the states who are allowed to enforce those and their own rules.

AND as I have been told a number of times, the state can regulate an out of state vehicle used in a commercial for profit operation.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Chef,
The state can decide to have a stricter law or regulation, they are not governed by the DOT regulations but many states adopt it to save time or as a harmonization agreement between neighboring states.

The federal government regulates the rules between the states, they do not have patrols on the highways to ensure that their regulations are followed. Instead it is the states who are allowed to enforce those and their own rules.

AND as I have been told a number of times, the state can regulate an out of state vehicle used in a commercial for profit operation.
Yep South Dakota now has signs all Vehicles over 8,000 lbs must stop at the scale

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Try bypassing one and see what happens, 8000 # forgot to put gvw

I bypassed one today, I70 west of Denver. I didn't realize it was off an exit until it was too late. I watched my mirrors for a few miles waiting for someone to chase me down, but no one came after me. I won't be making a habit of it.

finbar73

Seasoned Expediter
hey In Ontario canada I was told by an mto inspector that the general rule is that if you have a yellow inspection sticker. "the lights are on you must pull over". The joke is every commercial vehicle in Ontario must have an inspection sticker, including contractors with a pick up

MSinger

Expert Expediter
If the yellow Penske's are 2008 and newer they do. Now built on the 12,300 GM chassis or 12,500 Ford's.