Do straight trucks have to stop at weigh stations

Monty

Expert Expediter
Well ...... maybe. Some states have signage qualfying WHO they wish to stop, such as, "ALL TRUCKS OVER 8,000 POUNDS, REGISTERED WEIGHT".

A "C" truck might be able to legally pass by ....

If you are subject to stopping, PrePass will be the best investment you ever made. Or get BestPass, which incorporates scales and tolls into one unit.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Well ...... maybe. Some states have signage qualfying WHO they wish to stop, such as, "ALL TRUCKS OVER 8,000 POUNDS, REGISTERED WEIGHT".

A "C" truck might be able to legally pass by ....

If you are subject to stopping, PrePass will be the best investment you ever made. Or get BestPass, which incorporates scales and tolls into one unit.
OH no over 8,000 lbs that would include most Sprinters

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
It's ok to just drive pass it, just be sure to smile and wave big time, that makes it ok.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Blazer wrote:

any truck that has commercial tags has to stop at a weigh station.

As purgoose wrote: Say what!?!? and i'll add, where dd that statement come from!?!? Please show the Fed Regulation for that...many here including myself would like to see the requirement....

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
if the weigh station sinage says " all cmv" weigh , then all cmv are to go in, or if a posted gvw is posted than that weight class and up have to get up. My question is if you have a commercial or combo tag ( van, pu) andnot a cdl holder-do you have to weigh? courious-don't know that answer

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Just because a CV or PU has a Commerical plate from the STATE does not make it a Commerical Motor Vehicle in the eyes of the FED...it may be considered a Vehicle for Commerical use but there difference...look it up....a vehicle 10,000 gvw and under while plated with a commerical plate is not a Commerical Motor Vehicle....and a CDL has nothing to do with the requirement to scale...

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To some extent, I think it depends what the cops are looking for. For years, U-Hauls, Penskes, and other DIY-mover trucks have been able to sail past the chicken coops without raising an eyebrow. Now, they're getting pulled in because Smokey knows people without authority are trying to slip past while hauling commercial freight, but trying to pass themselves off as Ma & Pa Kettle just movin' house.

Most of those moving trucks qualify as CMVs but if you are moving your own belongings, you don't need to meet CMV standards because you are not being paid to do the move. On the other hand, if you're trucking for cash and don't play by the rules, well, look out for the Man 'cos he is DEFINITELY lookin' for you!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
It makes no difference what a "cop" might want or think. The definition of a CMV is spelled out by the Dept of Transportation, Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration, the Federal agency that regulates trucks:

U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration

Definitions. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Subpart A - General applicability and definitions
All Regulations
Part 390
< 390.3 390.7 >

§ 390.5Definitions.Unless specifically defined elsewhere, in this subchapter:

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—
(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

So all of those yellow Penske rentals rolling up and down the highway that are under 10,001 lbs are Not CMV and do not need to scale....

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, straight trucks must stop but openly gay trucks can flit on by if the driver gives a sweet wave. Bisexual trucks only have to stop on days ending in the letter Y.

I was waiting for somebody to go there. :D