Diesel Supplements

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Turtle, is this the OM612 engine only or is it other MBEs?
It is both the OM612, and the newer OM647 ('04 to '06 ?) - both of which are in-line 5 cylinders.

AFAIK, there have been no reported instances of it on the OM642 (the V-6 in '07 and later Sprinters) .... although they may be prone to it as well, as I believe the injector seal design is similar (not absolutely positive tho' ....)

The guy in Pittsburgh name is Andy Bittenbinder and his number is 412-366-6165

And, I believe that the premise that this phenomena only occurs on this side of the pond is incorrect - if I am not mistaken, the first picture that aileron posted is of MIG's (Mean In Green) OM612 engine ..... he's in Leicester, England .......

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Two years I ran with howe's anti-gel year round at lowest recommended mixture. This summer I stopped to see if it was really giving me the improved mileage I thought I initially got. Didn't see a change in fuel mileage, but after a month my check engine light came on. Shop couldn't find a problem. I started using additive again. Light went out. Wasn't sure that it was the additive so I stopped using additive. Light came back on within a couple tanks. I did this three times. No additive--light on. Additive--light off. Still not convinced, I'm now doing a longer term test. Went a whole oil change cycle with additive and no light came on. Now I'm not using additive to see how long before light comes on. If the light comes on in the next month, then I will be completely convinced and will always run with additive.

eb
The conclusion of my experiment. I made it about 3 1/2 weeks before my check engine lite came back on. Within two tankfulls of additive enriched fuel my check engine lite is now off. From here on out I'm running with something added to my fuel.

eb

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
While at the Ford dealer last week I asked the mechanic about additives. He suggested I add a quart of any automatic transmission fluid to my diesel fuel every 8-10 fill ups to clean the injectors. He said he did this in his F 250 pckup and it is a common practise. I am thinking about trying it. Anyone else use this method?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While at the Ford dealer last week I asked the mechanic about additives. He suggested I add a quart of any automatic transmission fluid to my diesel fuel every 8-10 fill ups to clean the injectors. He said he did this in his F 250 pckup and it is a common practise. I am thinking about trying it. Anyone else use this method?

I had a Ford mechanic tell me not to do that when I asked about it. While this was common back in the day, as engines have evolved it's not recommended any more. A converter is just one example of something that could be screwed up by doing this.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

If your engine has ANY exhaust treatment devices on it the ATF in the fuel is a bad idea. It used to do wonders for older diesels that had mechanical rotary injection pumps (old 6.9/7.3Ford's and 6.2/6.5 GM's) but not any more. The increased ash content from the ATF will help plug your DPF (soot trap) a lot sooner than it otherwise would, and the ash does not get burned out during regeneration, it comes out at the dealer on a big vacuum type machine. Care to guess what that costs?

greg334

Veteran Expediter

If that was a mechanic who worked for me, I would have fired him for that suggestion. In an older diesel, there used to be an advantage when ATF oil didn't have some of the cleaners in them but now it is a no no.

The other thing that comes to mind is putting anything with red dye in the tank may cost you some money if you ever have your fuel checked by the DOT. Red dye is off road diesel.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I like Howes. I use it in my F 250 Super Duty & the E 350, definitely get 1 1\2 - 2 MPG with it.

ozoxpress

Seasoned Expediter
I have used Amsoil for quite awhile until this natbio blind study came out.
It really surprised me they came in at #9.
My first dose of biodiesel was accidental at the Amarillo Pilot [B-20] at
around 23,000 miles on a 6.7L Cummins, and coughed all the way home.
A fuel filter change cured it and and no probs since, although I only put
the B-5 blend in now, unless the B-20 is the only choice then I mix it
at an additional pump of ULSD.
Some Love's carry B-5.
BioTrucker.com - America's Farmers Fueling America's Truckers! will aid in fuel location.

ozoxpress

Seasoned Expediter
The conclusion of my experiment. I made it about 3 1/2 weeks before my check engine lite came back on. Within two tankfulls of additive enriched fuel my check engine lite is now off. From here on out I'm running with something added to my fuel.

eb

eb, I think you should re-open your experiment and include the
biodiesel as an additive since you seem to have the "test vehicle". [66oz pure soy bio to 26gal ULSD]

greg334

Veteran Expediter

eb

I wondered if you know what makes the light go on? Is it an error or a warning? What code does the computer kick out?