Diesel Supplements

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for everyone's replies, and suggestions on my last post regarding Hino cold starts. I love EO, such a wealth of info.

Okay this question is regarding diesel supplments

1.) What brand do you use and why?
2.) Where do you purchase it? I'd like to stay away from trucks stops due to high cost. Not against online purchases:cool:
3.) what mixture do you use? recommended mixture? less/more?

Thanks

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Power Service Gray gives a cetane boost, which puts US diesel up to Euro and CARB standards, which the Sprinter really likes (and possibly prevents the Black Death that has only surfaced here in the States with lower cetane fuel - if you're not in a Sprinter it's a non-issue). I use a combination of Power Service and Howes Power Cleaner. Full recommended dose of Power Service, and then 2-3 ounces of Power Cleaner to keep the injectors clean. If I'm going to be where it's gonna be colder than about 10 degrees F, I load it up with Power Service White (anti-gel).

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I used Howe's Diesel Treat. I found distributors on their website. The one about 20 miles from my daughter's home sold it to me in cases for $5.53 a bottle for the big bottles. For my truck it took 1/4 bottle per tank so it cost me about $1.38 per tank per fill. I bought a few cases of it and that was when it was about $13.95 in the truckstops. I'm not sure what they charge now or what a distributor would charge now.

guido4475

Not a Member
That is a great price, LDB. I usually use Howe's in the winter, and Lucas in the summer. I havent had any problems yet.I am contemplating on getting my motor oil in 55 gal drums as well, to save $$.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I am using a supplement mainly for anti gelling/cold weather starting
Never knew wally world carried this stuff, why should I be suprised they have EVERYTHING :D

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Power Service Grey or White, depending on the season. Used to get it at Tractor Supply, but lately have been getting it at Autozone - a large jug of Power Service and quart of Mobil 1 puts me over threshold for a minimum $20 qualifying purchase for the Autozone Rewards card and ends up being about the same cost, when you figure in the bonus.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use Opti-Lube. Their products scored higher on the Micron scratch test that most other and much higher than Power Service did. Their products cost less as well.

aileron

Expert Expediter
I've never used any fuel additives in any of my vehicles. Never had a fuel related problem either. I took my sprinter down to -5 F and never had a gelling issue. However, if I were to go lower than that I would think about adding some.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Two years I ran with howe's anti-gel year round at lowest recommended mixture. This summer I stopped to see if it was really giving me the improved mileage I thought I initially got. Didn't see a change in fuel mileage, but after a month my check engine light came on. Shop couldn't find a problem. I started using additive again. Light went out. Wasn't sure that it was the additive so I stopped using additive. Light came back on within a couple tanks. I did this three times. No additive--light on. Additive--light off. Still not convinced, I'm now doing a longer term test. Went a whole oil change cycle with additive and no light came on. Now I'm not using additive to see how long before light comes on. If the light comes on in the next month, then I will be completely convinced and will always run with additive. During my rapid on-off cycling experiment I used both Power Service and Howe's anti-gel. Both worked equally well for the engine light ordeal. I'm looking at using Power Service for the cetane boost.

Northern Tool and Equipment also has a good price on Howe's anti-gel. Walmart has two prices depending on local--$12-something or $16-something. Seems it's priced one or the other. And like mentioned Tractor Supply who has it in the $12 range.

eb

aileron

Expert Expediter
Two years I ran with howe's anti-gel year round at lowest recommended mixture. This summer I stopped to see if it was really giving me the improved mileage I thought I initially got. Didn't see a change in fuel mileage, but after a month my check engine light came on. Shop couldn't find a problem. I started using additive again. Light went out. Wasn't sure that it was the additive so I stopped using additive. Light came back on within a couple tanks. I did this three times. No additive--light on. Additive--light off. Still not convinced, I'm now doing a longer term test. Went a whole oil change cycle with additive and no light came on. Now I'm not using additive to see how long before light comes on. If the light comes on in the next month, then I will be completely convinced and will always run with additive. During my rapid on-off cycling experiment I used both Power Service and Howe's anti-gel. Both worked equally well for the engine light ordeal. I'm looking at using Power Service for the cetane boost.

Northern Tool and Equipment also has a good price on Howe's anti-gel. Walmart has two prices depending on local--$12-something or $16-something. Seems it's priced one or the other. And like mentioned Tractor Supply who has it in the $12 range.

eb

Eb,

That is very strange, I haven't heard of something like this before. If the light comes back, can you check the code and see what the problem is? I am very curious.

aileron

Expert Expediter
Turtle,

Can't you describe Black Death?

eb

Black death is a problem specific to Sprinters sold here, and since it doesn't happen in Europe where diesel has higher cetane number, it is suposedly caused by our fuel.

The seal between the injector and the head starts leaking and those combustion gases that leak out turn into a black goo on the top of the engine head. And when this happens, almost all dealers don't know how to fix it and they will replace the whole head or even the whole engine (hence the death). But, fortunately there is someone around Pittsburgh, PA that has the knowledge and tools to fix it without even removing the head. I can post some pictures of it if you want, but later on, since I need to run now.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No one really knows for sure why it happens, or why it only happens here in the States and not in Europe, but the one thing that's different, for sure, that you can point to, is the fact that Euro diesel is 50 cetane and ours varies right around 45, with 48 being premium, and between 40-42 being acceptable. California CARB diesel is 50 cetane, though, which is why Black Death is nearly non-existent in California, and only adds credence to the cetane being the cause.

Fortunately, it's very rare in any case. But, it's something to watch out for. You should periodically remove the plastic cover from the top of the engine, Allen head screws, and check for early signs of Black Death. The earlier you catch it the better. Some recommend every oil change, but I dunno. I check mine every 3 or 4 months. So far so good.

The reason that it's a problem when it happens is, the pure carbon goo isn't gooey. It's 2 degrees and 3 pounds pf pressure away from being diamonds. So it's not like you can take a greasy rag and wipe it off. It cements the injectors in the cylinders to the head, so even if you wanted to change them and the seals out, you can't, 'cause they break off when you try to remove them. If left alone, the pressure finally just cracks the head. But, fortunately, like Aileron said, there's a guy in Pittsburgh who invented a tool that deals with it quite nicely, removes the injectors and saves the head.

But like I said, it's rare that it happens at all. I don't know the numbers, but it's a very small percentage.

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
A couple different shops just dismiss it as "a slow seep." Last week I discovered a torn seal on the intake where it connects to the turbo. I'm hoping that it's only a matter of replacing the seal. Seems to be more a mess of oil than crystalized carmel.

The last code pointed to the sensor that is getting oily at the intake. But since clearing and cleaning that sensor I've gone through the deal with the additive/no additive deal.

eb

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I just had an idea, I will have to check
If Napa carries diesel supplements, which I am sure they do. This might be the place to go, here's why....
If you are a AAA member you get a discount at Napa, I believe 15%. Definately something to look into depending on price.
Tractor Supply and Walmart are alos good ideas, as is AutoZone with the Auto Zone card
I will be price shopping:cool: