Detroit decay via Google Street view.

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
It looks like the Woodlawn and Englewood Districts in Chicago, sad, very sad.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Reminds me of the lower 9th ward after Katrina. I lived/loved Nawlins, Jazz, Beignets with Chickory coffee, Muffuletta, Po Boy, Red Beans and Rice with Andouille and not to mention....Seafood Gumbo.
Could find it all at the Quarter but... Right around the bend was the real deal creole. Was not to be found when I returned.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yes, It looks almost the same, but people were held accountable for [at least some of] the mismanagement & poor decisions that doomed NO [and btw: that middle photo looks like the house where I lived, in Kenner], but has anyone been held responsible for driving Detroit into the basement? I know Kwame Kilpatrick was, but he sure didn't wreck the whole city alone.
That's maybe the most infuriating thing about politicians: by the time we know about the damage they've caused, they're no longer around to answer for it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Yes, It looks almost the same, but people were held accountable for [at least some of] the mismanagement & poor decisions that doomed NO [and btw: that middle photo looks like the house where I lived, in Kenner], but has anyone been held responsible for driving Detroit into the basement? I know Kwame Kilpatrick was, but he sure didn't wreck the whole city alone.
That's maybe the most infuriating thing about politicians: by the time we know about the damage they've caused, they're no longer around to answer for it.

City went bankrupt the same way Chicago is... passing the buck. When it came time for the city to reward its workers with a raise, they negotiated with the unions to take a sizable increase in retirement benefits instead. After that happens enough, they have a huge obligation in 20-30 years. Coupled with crime scaring out those who actually pay their taxes, you get Detroit.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why not bulldoz the place, it would look better.

Why would you say such a thing? 750,000 people call "the place" HOME.
Does the problem need to be fixed? Yes, but "bulldoze" the place is not an answer.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bulldozing all of it isn't the answer, but a great deal of it? Yeah, that would be a huge improvement.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Nothing more than a confirmation that throwing billions of dollars at the "war on poverty" was a complete waste. Would have been better spent on retraining and new opportunities.
Also seems to be a theme with these kinds of cities. They are for the most part, ran by democrats for years.
Coincidence? maybe, maybe not.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Agree, a lot of it should be bulldozed/torn down. Empty dilapidated buildings create a dangerous situation for many of their residents. House fires, drug houses, and falling debris from adjacent buildings.Fortunately,they appear to be finally doing something about it.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/2...nup-will-cost-850-million.html?referrer=&_r=0
Yes, this sounds like a rational starting point.

To those that give a blanket - "Just bulldoze the place" and think it is funny, nobody is laughing.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Nice pictures, nice report.

I just want those that find humor in the situation to stop. It's not funny.

It's always funny, if it's not your city. I never cease pointing that out to the people on the Seahawk site I go to. Detroit is the butt of jokes. But I REALLY want a plot of land and an old house to fix up. It'll be nice once again... especially if they break it up into smaller cities.

Last edited: