Consignee Demands Up To 6 Hr FREE

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I would luv to get Panther to go with the detention that Con-Way had. 1-hour for a cargo van, $50 per half hour. As a result, we rarely had detention time. Once, twice a year. At Panther, where the detention pay amounts to bubble-gum and cigarette money for whoever has to pay, we get detention all the time, and it's after a 2 hour wait, which for a cargo van is just silly. Two hour wait, one hour detention, amounts to $5 an hour for those three hours. Peanuts. They don't care. But if they were on the hook for $50 a half hour, $200 for those three hours, oh, you betcha they'd care. Detention wouldn't happen.

Dude, they do get charged out the yinyang for detention, panther just pockets most of it because you are not on percentage. Express-1 used to pay 62 percent of what was billed to the customer. I made like 60 bucks for 2 hours of detention once.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Dude, they do get charged out the yinyang for detention, panther just pockets most of it because you are not on percentage. Express-1 used to pay 62 percent of what was billed to the customer. I made like 60 bucks for 2 hours of detention once.

Actually, Panther is more afraid of making a customer mad over detention. Some get charged as much as $30 an hour, some nothing at all, but Panther's standard detention hit is $25. I've seen too many line haul bills with $25 stated as the detention charge should detention occur.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Jeff Said:

"Sorry but I can't legally move the truck. The truck has already waited at your dock for six hours. I'll will be moving the truck in 4 hours and NO, I can't come out of the sleeper to discuss it with you."

Be more like 10 hours, because that would be considered "on duty, not driving"
So 8.5% of your work hours could be shot for the week.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
sorry i cant move the truck is fine,but not if your running team,and i believe this load he was talking about was a team load.oh and if its a load im thinking about,detention is paid after the 4 total hours,between loading and unloading,also shipper usually takes couple hours tpo load

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
While the idea of parking the truck at the dock is a great comeback...however since your on private property the shipper could have you move it ...out of the dock to the yard without going on a public roadway hence no log violation....or he could just tow it.....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Let's use these numbers

365 miles

$1.75 a mile

7.75 hours drive time

$638.75

or

$85.16 an hour

If they want the truck to sit for an additional 6 hours, then the run would have to pay more than $3 a mile.

Labor should be more than driving.

I would also refuse the load, that’s BS. The company sells an exclusive truck; this means that it cost them to use the truck, either by sitting and waiting or driving. When my hours are up, I sit. If they want to count, provide me a space or I am out of there, putting on the paper work “consignee refused to sign”.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Leo..best D-time?? Here at E-1 it's 1 hour for standard customers and 2 hours for them crappy NLM. Always wonder how the worst customers get the best deals...shesh....

Is that 1 hour also for straight trucks? If so, I don't remember that and that's good. A customer should be able to unload within 1 hour of scheduled time absent incredibly rare circumstances. At Fedex my detention is 2 hours per job, not 2 hours each at the shipper and cons. If the shipper delays 2 hours the detention clock starts and the cons has to unload on arrival or it's all detention. It could be argued it's not fair to the cons if the shipper uses up all the free time but then again they should both be ready at their appointment time.

always confused

Seasoned Expediter
although i dislike detention it occasionally works in your favor. once i was doin a run with two pickups; one in grand rapids, the other in sterling hts. when i got to the second pickup the night crew had no idea what was to be loaded, and were unable to find out. decision was to have me wait for the day crew. ... ... so i got paid to take my break. slept good. was finally loaded about 0900. needless to say the loads didn't deliver on time; but as it was shippers fault no problem. would have been cheaper to cancel the second pickup and schedule a different truck for a morning pickup, but customers do strange things occasionally that work in our favor.

springrivergroup

Seasoned Expediter
My BOL has a skid count, says shipper load and count, and condition of freight unknown not viewed by driver.

The count is real easy, count the skids and sign the bill, or put it back on the truck and it can go back to shipper, I am not responsible for the stuff that may or may not have been packed by the shipper.

If you want special handling expedited freight and you want extras maybe you should pay for them because today line haul fright pays MORE than expedited freight. Contractors who can provide the services are starting to go elsewhere.

Trucking companies as well as shippers and consignees need to know this. If you don’t pay anything you will get what you pay for.

Your choices are fast, right, cheep; you can pick 2 and if you pick cheep call someone else.

Might be a good idea for people to read the published tariff from the trucking company and for the trucking company needs to stick to it.

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
My BOL has a skid count, says shipper load and count, and condition of freight unknown not viewed by driver.

The count is real easy, count the skids and sign the bill, or put it back on the truck and it can go back to shipper, I am not responsible for the stuff that may or may not have been packed by the shipper.

If you want special handling expedited freight and you want extras maybe you should pay for them because today line haul fright pays MORE than expedited freight. Contractors who can provide the services are starting to go elsewhere.

Trucking companies as well as shippers and consignees need to know this. If you don’t pay anything you will get what you pay for.

Your choices are fast, right, cheep; you can pick 2 and if you pick cheep call someone else.

Might be a good idea for people to read the published tariff from the shipper and for the shipper needs to stick to it.

if your hauling pharmaceuticals,forget the skid count.bol will be marked and signed sl&c,trailer will be sealed,but your still going to have places like Rite-Aid want to count every box,even though you have no idea what was put in the truck.sometimes you also help count the freight,but that pays extra along with the D time

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Company I am leased to has these all of the time. Good news is we know in advance, unless the load is going to not interfere with my schedule. Such as I arrive at 9PM or 12AM I pass on these loads that begin unloading at 7AM screwing my day up for another load.

On the other side if it were a high paying load, or lots and lots of miles for a high paying load. One cannot afford to sit. Intresting read.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Broooom, your in a different situation right now,if the customer had notes for 6 hr delivery,youd drop that at the yard and city driver would unload it.In the case of the load in question,its pharmaceuticals,and if i were told that i cant get D time I also would have turned the load back.Last year I did 88 of these loads,even though all the receivers took lots of time unloading,it was very profitable

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
What got up your xyz Steve. Gee two posts today your teed off. I did not realize I offeneded you by participating. Excuse me, things I say your finding something that Bothers you by How I run my business.

6 hour unloads I pass on, unless time falls in my favor or enoughy $ is built in to make it worth my time. Otherwise I would weather in full truck load or Expedite would need to be paid for Detention as should ANYONE ELSE truck load or Expedite.

Congradulations on your 88 runs with 6 hour unloads.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
FYI there is NO SUCH THING in my Division as dropping a load and letting a city driver finish it. WE HAVE NO DOCKS its Truck Load 100% those city trucks are not for Truck Load there for other things. Once on a load we Finish it to the customers door.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
What got up your xyz Steve. Gee two posts today your teed off. I did not realize I offeneded you by participating. Excuse me, things I say your finding something that Bothers you by How I run my business.

6 hour unloads I pass on, unless time falls in my favor or enoughy $ is built in to make it worth my time. Otherwise I would weather in full truck load or Expedite would need to be paid for Detention as should ANYONE ELSE truck load or Expedite.

Congradulations on your 88 runs with 6 hour unloads.

Didnt mean to ruffle your feathers,and non of those 88 loads had 6 hr unloads,as i i stated if any of them had 6 hrs free time i wouldnt have taken any of them