Consignee Demands Up To 6 Hr FREE

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I just accepted a load that contained the note that Consignee requires the driver to wait up to six hours for them to count and verify.

I told disp to take me off the load if this time would not be DT. After waiting an hour for a answer they took me off the load.

That's fine with me I REFUSE TO WORK FOR ANYONE WHO DEMANDS THIS MUCH FREE TIME.
I hope you do too.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I just accepted a load that contained the note that Consignee requires the driver to wait up to six hours for them to count and verify.

I told disp to take me off the load if this time would not be DT. After waiting an hour for a answer they took me off the load.

That's fine with me I REFUSE TO WORK FOR ANYONE WHO DEMANDS THIS MUCH FREE TIME.
I hope you do too.

Well Hello guess what finaly somebody got one of those loads as well. But I can see they took you off it at your request.
I know of one place thats in Jupitor Florida that does that and aboy oh boy.

Good Luck:)

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
They want the truck 'on-site' waiting while they count??? hhhhhmmmmmm.
I guess it would depend on how long I'd been sitting and how much the load paid..

moose

Veteran Expediter
Good for You !
At least they let You know in advanced .

Just wondering how Did it all played out, when it all said and done.
Did you got the next load within 6 hours ?

Moose.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm mixed on it. If I were on a fixed plan like Panther I'd probably say my detention starts in two hours and whatever goes on between them and the customer is up to them but I'll be paid starting in two if I take it. If on a total pay system I'd look at total pay and decide if that included enough for 4 hours of detention. If the total pay includes pay for those hours I have no problem giving them. If they want me to extend from 2 to 6 hours for free then no.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Here's another point in this HIGH HANDEDNESS. An extra 6 hours would be after my 14 hour clock expired. Them, listen to them scream when told I can`t legally move the truck.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm mixed on it. If I were on a fixed plan like Panther I'd probably say my detention starts in two hours and whatever goes on between them and the customer is up to them but I'll be paid starting in two if I take it. If on a total pay system I'd look at total pay and decide if that included enough for 4 hours of detention. If the total pay includes pay for those hours I have no problem giving them. If they want me to extend from 2 to 6 hours for free then no.

Everyone knows ya give them 4 hours for an E unite
2hrs for a C unite at FedEX
Unless you luck one and get the 24 7 dention.
hope that helps:)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Good for You !
At least they let You know in advanced .

Just wondering how Did it all played out, when it all said and done.
Did you got the next load within 6 hours ?

Moose.

In less than an hour, another load just as good. Even better, lands me in a better L/O location.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
That's nice when you are told things like that ahead of time. I don't enjoy surprises when getting to the delivery. I think it's nice they took you off the load when you asked. I feel that if the terms of the load are changed, the driver should be able to be taken off the load. After all, most of the time you accept the load based on the terms presented, and sometimes other factors might make you not want the load at all.

We've been running into a lot of problems with things not being presented the right way, or things that we see on the bills and tell the company about but they don't find out or fix the problem....then you get to the consignee and there's issues. Just try and keep a positive attitude about it though....it's not my problem, I just do my job, which is to drive and be on time.

moose

Veteran Expediter
In less than an hour, another load just as good. Even better, lands me in a better L/O location.

Y'a C ?,
When you are a nice guy ,
nice things happened to you ...

Good job !
Am have to admit that i would have bit it !
(if the over all load/Time/location, pay well )

Moose.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, I know about the standard policy at FX but took this thread as talking about a "special" customer who thinks their you know what doesn't stink so they get special concessions and what to do in that case. FX does have the best detention policy of any carrier I'm aware of. I hope to rarely need to take advantage of it but will at some point I'm sure.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, I know about the standard policy at FX but took this thread as talking about a "special" customer who thinks their you know what doesn't stink so they get special concessions and what to do in that case. FX does have the best detention policy of any carrier I'm aware of. I hope to rarely need to take advantage of it but will at some point I'm sure.

Leo..best D-time?? Here at E-1 it's 1 hour for standard customers and 2 hours for them crappy NLM. Always wonder how the worst customers get the best deals...shesh....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would luv to get Panther to go with the detention that Con-Way had. 1-hour for a cargo van, $50 per half hour. As a result, we rarely had detention time. Once, twice a year. At Panther, where the detention pay amounts to bubble-gum and cigarette money for whoever has to pay, we get detention all the time, and it's after a 2 hour wait, which for a cargo van is just silly. Two hour wait, one hour detention, amounts to $5 an hour for those three hours. Peanuts. They don't care. But if they were on the hook for $50 a half hour, $200 for those three hours, oh, you betcha they'd care. Detention wouldn't happen.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
OOIDA says, just say no to cheap freight, and shprs/rcvrs who demand free time. Just doing my bit to uphold that principle. Unfortunately, most will take it anyway so things just never get better.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
If and only if that load paid very well we would have taken it in a heartbeat. I am sure redytrk that you also looked at the total pay for the load and did not feel the load paid enough for you to have to sit that long.

One of the ways though that we would have looked at the load is if it paid enough per mile the load would have been fine. Least while you are sitting you are not burning fuel. Sitting at a customer that long without detention is sure the exception to the rule though.

We have found that usually the notes about a customer are pretty accurate on what to expect. We are on a load now with the notes we are to tailgate the pallets and the customer is to hand unload we are not to touch the freight. This is a load of books and customer has not paid extra for the driver to unload and if the ask us to help we will first call in and FCC will talk to customer and correct our pay for this additional service.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If and only if that load paid very well we would have taken it in a heartbeat. I am sure redytrk that you also looked at the total pay for the load and did not feel the load paid enough for you to have to sit that long.

One of the ways though that we would have looked at the load is if it paid enough per mile the load would have been fine. Least while you are sitting you are not burning fuel. Sitting at a customer that long without detention is sure the exception to the rule though.

We have found that usually the notes about a customer are pretty accurate on what to expect. We are on a load now with the notes we are to tailgate the pallets and the customer is to hand unload we are not to touch the freight. This is a load of books and customer has not paid extra for the driver to unload and if the ask us to help we will first call in and FCC will talk to customer and correct our pay for this additional service.

So IF the customer your doing now takes say 6 hours to hand unload? Are you being compensated?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We will get detention time as they have the standard amount of time to unload. The notes though are just to let the driver know that customer might ask you to help them unload and they have not paid for this service.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We will get detention time as they have the standard amount of time to unload. The notes though are just to let the driver know that customer might ask you to help them unload and they have not paid for this service.

Thats pretty clear. BTW...Happy B-Day!:)

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
When I pulled a reefer I went to grocery warehouses all the time. The last company I drove for had vans,flats,and reefers and since I had experience with all three I would pull a different trailer different weeks depending on what was going out. Anyway. The weeks I pulled the reefers I could just about bet on detention. Our detention started after 2 hours and the driver got 20 bucks an hour. Don't know what they boss got for the truck. I'm guessing it was more than 20 bucks. I would get there for my appointment, go park where I was told, and turn my cb on the channel I was told to. You can bet money you will be on the clock before you even bump the dock. I had a Playstation 2 and a tv/vcr combo in the truck plus a fridge stocked with goodies. I'd either watch dvds or the sporting events from the week prior my wife taped for my and eat a snack. When that got boring I'd play a video game or read. So all this time I'm having a good time in my "man cave" and I end up making about 100-160 dollars. Of course I could be waiting for about 10 hours to. But money is green. It's about the same amount of money I would be making running down the road so I never complained.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Here's another point in this HIGH HANDEDNESS. An extra 6 hours would be after my 14 hour clock expired. Them, listen to them scream when told I can`t legally move the truck.

Hehehe... I can hear that phone conversation now. "Sorry but I can't legally move the truck. The truck has already waited at your dock for six hours. I'll will be moving the truck in 4 hours and NO, I can't come out of the sleeper to discuss it with you."