Congress and the war.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I read another article saying that now Congress has approved this war...all this crud the Dems aren't going to fund the war is just that crud....If I read it right once a war is declared it gets turned over to the commander and chief (The Pres) Congress has to fund it??? They can grandstand and spit and spew, but the long and short is the troops always get the money...True??

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
NOT True The troops dont always get the monie.

unless is approiated .
Think about it. '

If it is approiated then most likely a bunch of pork barrals bills are attached to it.

wouldnt it be nice for once to get somthing passed with out a buch of strings attached. HMMM
get my drift.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agreed Mr. Wagner...there are always bills attached to buy the Senators vote...pork barreling as it's called...or eating at the trough

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
OK, I skimmed all this over, briefly. And all I hear is "Blah, blah, blah, I'm a Constitutional scholar." What I would like everyone to do, is grab a copy of the War Powers Act of 1973. In it (and I'm parphrasing) it says that Congress may limit the war powers of the president by directing him to order all the troops home. And if/when Congress tells him to do so, he has 90 days to comply. Congress hasn't done that, so the president hasn't done anything wrong, yet. Well as far as troop surges and all that are concerned.

Also, The Constitution says that the president is the Commander-in-Chief of all armies, and navies in the power of the United States. Until Congress or the People take that privledge away from him, Congress can't tell him what to do with the troops that are there. Except tell him to bring them home, as stated in the War Powers Act.

The military officers do give an oath to support and defend the Constitution. So do all that enlist or re-enlist as, of course, enlisted personnel. So, if that's the case... they all have sworn to support and defend the Constitution, which means they all have to answer to... TA DA... the Commander-in-Chief, which happens to be the president.