college

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I know we have alot of college educated people out there so here's my question. When you double major in something do you actually get to bacholers degrees? I would think so but I really don't know. I'm set on majoring in agriculture, but I'm thinking of picking up a double major in finance. I really want to be an agri lender at a bank. My mom who audits banks said that sounded like a good idea to her and agri lenders make good money and its a good job.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ark, yes , if you double major in two fields (ag humor) you will receive a bachelors degree in each discipline. My son is majoring in law enforcement and Spanish. Si! He is planning to live with a broad in Mexico for a semester next year. LOS SCRUBBERS CON.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Yes you get 2 degrees. I did a double major back in my 'younger' days. I got one in business management and one in english.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
HighwayStar,
Yes I would be top in my field. Considering I live in cotton country I could also be a top pick. You know they pick cotton. I'll shut up now. :p

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Now I'm confused. When I graduated from college with a double major in history and philosophy, I received one degree (fancy piece of paper) that said Bachelor of Arts. I always thought I had one BA degree with a double major. From what I read here I wonder, do I have two degrees, a BA in history and a BA in philosophy? Not that it matters much this long after the fact, but I am curious.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
BS in Economics and a BS in Business Administration. The programs pretty much paralled each other.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Gee I thought after all these years and elbow bending time together I could now call you Dr Terry.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I found out 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4 I have two, 2 year degrees and they don't equal a 4 year degree. BTW, I was an Assistant Professor. It's too long to put on my tag line.

:+ :+

JoeMP2

Seasoned Expediter
Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Government. One degree. But that was nearly twenty years ago.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This may require a philosophy major to decipher but I think I am on to something.

A man lives alone in the woods 50 miles from the nearest woman. One day he discovers bear scat not far from his cabin. He concludes that the Vatican has no indoor plumbing and ponders the state of the Catholic Church and religion in general.

He drives into town and purchases 2 chainsaws from Sears. One is a 18" and the other a 36". The sales clerk gives him 1 RECEIPT listing both chainsaws. Is he still wrong?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Phil. I guess men are always wrong. By the way that fancy piece of paper is a diploma. It is a receipt of sorts showing where your money went. It should state that you have a Bachelors of Science in History and a Bachelors of Science in Philosophy. It is certainly possible that you are a degree off, but who am I to bring up that subject!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Well, this discussion has been fun but I figured we reached the point where good information would help. I called my alma mater and asked the registrar if I had one degree or two. He said I have one degree and two majors. The college awards the BA or BS one time and majors as often as they are earned.

Also, in the liberal arts like philosophy and history, it is a Bachelor of Arts degree that is awarded, not Bachelor of Science. I asked him if other schools do it differently. He was aware of none that did. People who think they have two degrees by virtue of a double major may want to call their own schools to find out for sure.