China and cost of goods

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The other factors would include the Retardplicans and Dumbocrats who continue to put the US at a competitive disadvantage by implementing stifling regulations.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Fixed it for ya. :D:p

Camper

Not a Member
That article about Chinese cars was written in 2005. I guess they never made it.

They've been made and sold in China for many years now.. The issue is all the modifications the company would have to make in order for these cars to comply with the cumbersome safety regulations in the states.

Camper

Not a Member
Just trying to lay blame where it belongs, EVERWHERE! Not just on the backs of labor. IMHO :p

Yes... The union boses and their pals in both major political parties who are doing a happy dance on the backs of labor...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes... The union boses and their pals in both major political parties who are doing a happy dance on the backs of labor...

HomerFacePalm.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I WAS BUYING FOOD THE OTHER DAY AT WALMART and ON THE LABEL OF SOME PRODUCTS IT SAID 'FROM CHINA '
Yeah, it's called "Chinese Food".

FOR EXAMPLE THE "OUR FAMILY" BRAND OF THE MANDARIN ORANGES SAYS RIGHT ON THE CAN 'FROM CHINA '
Wow, Mandarin oranges from Mandarin China, you know, from where they were invented and where the vast majority of the planet's Mandarin oranges are grown.

I WAS SHOCKED SO FOR A FEW MORE CENTS I BOUGHT THE LIBERTY GOLD BRAND OR THE DOLE SINCE IT'S FROM CALIF.
Shocked? China accounts for 54% of the world's Mandarin orange (and tangerine and clementine) production. Spain, the world's second top producer, accounts for a whopping 7%.

Mandarins (and tangerines and clementines) Top 10 producers:

China - 54%
Spain - 7%
Brazil - 4%
Japan - 3.8%
Morocco - 3.7%
South Korea - 2.8%
Egypt - 2.7%
Turkey - 2.6%
Iran - 2.4%
Thailand - 2.3%
Pakistan - 2.2%
All Others - 4,156 14.9%
The US produces 0.9% of the world's Mandarin oranges, with with more than 70% of the US production coming out of Florida, not California.

The US is the world's top producer of grapefruit, tho. Can I get a flag wave?

Are we Americans as dumb as we appear --- or --- is it that we just do not think.
Those who are shocked, shocked I tell you, that Mandarin oranges would come from China may actually be as dumb as they appear, and they don't think.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I see some of the stuff that is made in China and I'm like really!!! we can't make that here for cheaper.
It's really cheaper to tranport it on a ship, then a truck or train?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone remember the old Wal-Mart ads when Sam Walton was still alive? We proudly sell products that are made in America.
I am sure he is turning over in his grave now....99% of what Wal-mart sells is from somewhere other than America

Camper

Not a Member
I see some of the stuff that is made in China and I'm like really!!! we can't make that here for cheaper.
It's really cheaper to tranport it on a ship, then a truck or train?

Those transport costs are insurance against the larger costs associated with producing the goods in the states. After factoring in all the frivolous safetey/OSHA regulations, the labor laws and the constant threat of unionization, the transport costs are a great trade off.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You cannot always believe the label. The following is from Dole's website.
Dole's Worldwide Packaged Food Division operates three canneries in Asia: two in Thailand and one in the Philippines. These canneries supply NORTH AMERICA, Europe, Asia, Australia and the Middle East. These canneries have significantly expanded their operations into diversified products, including plastic cups, jars and pouches. The pineapples used at these canneries are sourced from a large Dole-operated plantation and independent growers in the Philippines and primarily from independent growers in Thailand.