cargo van weight limit?

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
1) curb weight may/may not include the driver, depending on the vehicle's country of origin whim of the manufacturer.:eek:

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Agree, that's the acid test, though it helps to know in advance whether a 2500 will provide sufficient carrying capacity or not. Once you hit the scale it may be too late.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It is a very simple thing to figute out. Put all the crap that you are going to bring with you ont on the road into the van, then fill up the gas take, then drive yourself to a truck stop that has a CAT scale, and remain inside the vehicle whilt it is being weighed. The number you get from the scale ticket is your actual new empty weight. Take that empty weight number and subtract it from the a Gross Vehicle Wight Rating (GVWR) and that is what you can haul legally. My van weighs 6300 LBS with me and my personal junk in it along with a full tak of fuel. My (GVWR) is 9600 pounds, which means that I can leaglly haul 3300 pounds. I drive a 1 ton extended GMC Savana cargo van with the bare minimal of junk. Just some clothes, a mattress, and a laptop computer; that's all. See how simple that is.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It is a very simple thing to figute out. Put all the crap that you are going to bring with you...<snip> .... See how simple that is.
Note that it's far easier to do that after you've bought the van and have it in your possession. He's not at that point yet. He's trying to determine which Sprinter to buy, the 2500 or the 3500, and the pros and cons of each.

For me, the cons of the 3500 eliminate it outright.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Note that it's far easier to do that after you've bought the van and have it in your possession. He's not at that point yet. He's trying to determine which Sprinter to buy, the 2500 or the 3500, and the pros and cons of each. <snip>

For me, the cons of the 3500 eliminate it outright.
Dang, you just snipped my manhood! lol.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
From Turtle:
My empty weight ticket shows 3000 pounds of capacity, but that's a really old ticket before I added a bunch of stuff to the Sprinter.

How often does most carriers require you to have your van weighed?

I mean, most of the DOT Inspections have to be done annually, so does that mean you have to have a scale ticket done annually also?

Let's say a guy goes and gets a nice Chevy/Ford 3500 Van, shows up at orientation with a just a sleeping bag, a cooler, and himself in the van and presents a current scale ticket that shows he's able to haul that 2500lb requirement. Now later on as he learns the life on the road, he decides he wants that bunk, that bulkhead, that TV, that fridge, and so on to make his life easier on the road, and takes away 600lbs of his 2500lb ability. Does he need to inform his carrier of what all he has done to that van, or can he be leased to that carrier for the next 2-3-4 years with just that one scale ticket showing he still has a 2500lb carrying capability?

Not trying to put any ideas in anyones head here, OK!!;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
From Turtle:

I mean, most of the DOT Inspections have to be done annually, so does that mean you have to have a scale ticket done annually also?

Let's say a guy goes and gets a nice Chevy/Ford 3500 Van, shows up at orientation with a just a sleeping bag, a cooler, and himself in the van and presents a current scale ticket that shows he's able to haul that 2500lb requirement. Now later on as he learns the life on the road, he decides he wants that bunk, that bulkhead, that TV, that fridge, and so on to make his life easier on the road, and takes away 600lbs of his 2500lb ability. Does he need to inform his carrier of what all he has done to that van, or can he be leased to that carrier for the next 2-3-4 years with just that one scale ticket showing he still has a 2500lb carrying capability?

I have not ever heard of any carrier requiring a re weigh...

I did once when my team partner retired and I requested to up my weight and needed to re-weigh...

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Bolt Express requires notice of any changes to the Van after it's been inspected during Orientation.;)

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Best Sprinter I'm seeing out there: 2005 2500, with excellent ccc and mileage, including toys.

Finding a good one and getting it quickly into service under the five-year mark is another story.

It's always somethin'.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
From Turtle:

That describes me, except that instead of getting a nice Chevy/Ford 3500 Van, I got an even nicer Sprinter. :D

I can no longer legally haul the 3000 pounds that my original empty weight ticket states, which the carrier has on file. The problem with showing 3000 pounds as my capacity is that dispatchers will see that I can haul that, and will every now and then offer me loads in the 2900-3000 pound range. The incorrect load capacity basically wastes the time of dispatch. However, my carrier only requires 2500 pounds, so generally anything over that weight they automatically look to a "small box truck" (which is an actually vehicle category at my carrier) or straight truck, and will only offer it to a 3000 pound cargo van or Sprinter if they don't have another vehicle to haul the load.

The reason most carriers (none that I know of) require periodic reweighs is because the only problem with an incorrect ticket is dispatch will be wasting their time in trying to book a load on a vehicle that cannot haul it. It's not an issue of liability because running overweight is a decision and responsibility that rests solely with the driver of the vehicle.

You can have an incorrect weight ticket and run overweight all the time if you want, but it's not very smart to do so on a regular basis. Other than the obvious safety issues (suspension and brakes are designed for a specific maximum weight), and the legal issues (albeit a low risk), but the wear and tear expenses will never be paid for by the line haul revenue.

Reactions: vandriver2

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
One upfitter offers the following Sprinter expediter/sleeper package:

Twin size lower bed with lower cabinet storage, fold down upper bunk bed, stainless steel microwave, stainless steel refrigerator, slide-out toilet, modular table/work station, two inverters, two heavy duty RV batteries, 24" TV with DVD player and four stereo speakers, Brazilian Cherry hardwood floor, upper cabinet storage, steel retaining wall designed for load shift protection. :eek:

I have two theories. Either the company is looking at first-generation Sprinter specs and their legendary ccc, or the "load" referred to fits in an envelope.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you have a link? I'd like to see photos and specs of that setup.

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
escapepod

And then the modular unit can be removed to accommodate larger loads and towed behind.

So where ya' supposed to store the kayaks?

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
That's too heavy.

Considering that this is a business where vans are usually loaded percentage wise higher on average than trucks, it makes absolutely no sense to even consider having something like this. It seems to fit the yahoo who wants to take his family on vacation three times a year with the company van.

Then there is the issue of what to do with it if you are asked to take a load that takes up the van cargo area, do you dump it on the side of the road or do you pay for it to be stored.

Simple solutions are the best. being an RVing expediter means that you are giving up a lot more and it is more or less a hobby than a business. This also means that there is a trade off in opportunity, an opportunity cost which can't always be justified outside of lifestyle needs. A few companies are strict while others ... well ... what is a weight ticket.

There are solutions out there, not one of them I have found yet is a commercial one - most are home grown that has been done with trial and error but it always seems to work for them in the end.

keelyh

Seasoned Expediter
I have a fleet of cargo vans, sprinters and straight trucks. i have no problem keeping them full with headhaul (out of wisconsin) but coming home i can not find anything. All the load boards are for semis.
Please help, and advise would be apreciated.
Are there any load boards for straight trucks and smaller. i run team and singles and do expedited.