cargo van weight limit?

papertank

Seasoned Expediter
hi everybody im new to the expiditing world and new to this forum.im getting ready to start with acompnay as a o/o after getting all my paper work ready the gm says to me "ok were start your hauling weight at 2500lbs.my truck is a 02 ford E250 6cly 3/4 ton.I am wondering can my truck handle this kind of weight safely and will this kind of weight destroy my truck.please tell me what i should do.and if i refuse to haul this much what will happen.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
You need to look on your sticker or metal tag and see the GVW......put in all things that you will be taking with you and a full tank of fuel and get it scaled.........now subtact that weight from your GVW and that leave what you are able to haul per van specs.

There's a little more to it for per axle,but that should get you going.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
1st rule of this business - get the biggest van you can find.

2nd rule is Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW or GVRW) rules on the road.

Van's curb weight (empty weight) includes a FULL tank, a driver, and all their crap.

Formula -

Curb weight minus GVW equals the safe cargo weight*.

*The safe cargo weight should be 10% less than what you can haul. (this is my opinion, other's may differ)

So your E250 may have a 8550 lb GVW.

The curb weight may be 5700 lbs without driver or stuff.

Add 350 lbs for driver and stuff which leaves you with 6050 lbs.

8550 - 6500 = 2000 lbs of cargo you can haul.

If you use the 10%, then it is 1800 lbs.

Now I haven't owned an E250 for almost 20 years so someone can provide more accurate numbers.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The E-250 came in 2 GVW's....7200 lbs the light 3/4 and 8600 the heavy duty 3/4...make sure you check the tag...it will appear as a GCVW which means Gross Combined Vehicle Weight..and you figure your "payload" or weight carrying capacity as described above....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
it will appear as a GCVW which means Gross Combined Vehicle Weight..and you figure your "payload" or weight carrying capacity as described above....

GCVW is the weight of the trailer and the van combined, hence the word combined.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
GVCW rating is how the sticker on the door of a truck list the total GVW of the unit.. Curb weight plus payload is considered GVCW....Trailer towing guides from the vehicle manufacturer will list trailers and boats over 10,000 lbs which would be the GVCW depending on the truck size and drive train in the truck......a new Chevy Silverdo 3500 depending on how it is setup is rated at a max towing capacity of 16,700 lb of trailer or boat or whatever it is you are looking to tow....

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
GVCW rating is how the sticker on the door of a truck list the total GVW of the unit.. Curb weight plus payload is considered GVCW....

Chef, not to dispute you but been doing this a while.

From Ford's own safety memo dated 04/23/08;

The rating on the sticker is the GVWR with the specific Front and Rear Axle GAWR.

Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is the Base Curb Weight plus actual Cargo Weight plus passengers.

It is important to remember that GVW is not a limit or specification – it is the actual weight that is obtained when the fully loaded vehicle is driven onto a scale.

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable weight of the fully loaded vehicle (including passengers and cargo). This number – along with other weight limits, as well as tire, rim size and inflation pressure data – as shown on the vehicle’s Safety Compliance Certification Label, located on the left front door lock facing or the door latch post pillar. The GVW must never exceed the GVWR.

Gross Axle Weight (GAW) is the total weight placed on each axle (front and rear). To determine the Gross Axle Weights for your vehicle and trailer combination, take your loaded vehicle and trailer to a scale.

With the trailer attached, place the front wheels of the vehicle on the scale to get the front GAW. For rear GAW, weigh the towing vehicle with trailer attached, but with just the four wheels of the vehicle on the scale. Subtracting front GAW from that amount gives you rear GAW.

Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) is the maximum weight to be carried by a single axle (front or rear). These numbers are also shown on the Safety Compliance Certificate label.

Gross Combination Weight (GCW) is the weight of the loaded vehicle (GVW) plus the weight of the fully loaded trailer. It is the actual weight obtained when the vehicle and trailer are weighed together on a scale.

Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is the maximum allowable weight of the towing vehicle and the loaded trailer – including all cargo and passengers – that the vehicle can handle without risking damage. (Important: The towing vehicle’s brake system is rated for operation at the GVWR – NOT GCWR. The measured GCW must never exceed the GCWR.

This can also be found in all of their trailer towing guides from 1990 to date.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
You are absolutly right Greg, but look at what i said, GCVW is not GCWR. As you said GCWR is the combined weight of the truck and what is to be towed which will can exceed the GCVW. The key is "Vehicle" in the GCVW and the where as the GCWR takes in the combined wright of "Both" , not just the Vehicle.

As for you doing this a long time, i respect that, i too have done it along time including time selling and mangaing ford and chevrolet truck stores......so in this instance, we can agree in principal but disagree on the "nomenclature"....:D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Formula -

Curb weight minus GVW equals the safe cargo weight*.
In most cases that formula will result in a negative number, except in countries in the southern hemisphere.

Now that our newbie is totally confused let's keep it simple and follow Comet's advice. Check the tag on the door jamb for the GVWR. Weigh your van with you and all your junk. Subtract that weight from the GVWR. Bingo, you have the maximum weight that you can legally carry.

Reactions: vandriver2

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yup, the GVWR on the door jam is the most you van can ever weigh.

To prevent from going over that number, you have to know what the van weighs with everything inside the van except the cargo. That's your empty weight.

The difference between your empty weight number and the GVWR number on the door jam is the amount of cargo you can haul.

It's not rocket science. It is 3rd grade math, though.

Reactions: vandriver2

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Moot is right, now that I have totally confused the newbie I'll concede that Greg is right in the GCRW is the combined weight of 2 units that is not to be exceed for TOWING purposes....and that number is variable even within the same size truck...a F-350 Ford pickup can have several different GCWR's because that number takes into consideration the different driveline combinations as well as the GVWR of the Vehicle...While the While the driveline does not reflect in GVWR rating on the door that is a fixed number that.

BUT, LOL, to carry it out just a bit further, yes the WEIGHT of different Engines will affect the gvw of the truck as far as payload or cargo carrying capacity...in theory the heavier diesel v-8 will have less capacity because it weighs more then the little 5.0 liter V-8..but thats theory......:D

Last edited:

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
:confused:
I've read the threads and I'm still trying to accurately calculate how much stuff can be upfitted on a Sprinter and still retain the 2500# cargo capacity that the carrier requires. Apparently, not much can be added beyond a bed and bulkhead, contrary to all the talk of adding ac units, heaters, generators, fridges, micros, inverters, batteries, cabinets, TV/DVDs, etc, etc.

A 2010 2500 170" WB has a maximum payload of 3005#, and 2872# for the extended. Curb weight does NOT include the driver, so you have exactly 505# and 372# of non-cargo stuff to add to the base weight. With the driver's weight and a 100# bulkhead you have maybe 200 pounds available before impacting the 2500# cargo capacity.

Looks to me like you have to go to the 3500 and build up the floor, in order to add the wonderful and weighty comforts of home and legally load 2500#.

Am I correct to assume the 2500# carrier requirement is not a strict prerequisite, and 2500 Sprinter drivers report their true, lesser ccc? I should think the carrier would want some form of documentation from the scales, as they could conceivably be held just as liable as the o/o in the event of an accident while over load limit. Or do they turn a blind eye to such details?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
:confused:
I've read the threads and I'm still trying to accurately calculate how much stuff can be upfitted on a Sprinter and still retain the 2500# cargo capacity that the carrier requires. Apparently, not much can be added beyond a bed and bulkhead, contrary to all the talk of adding ac units, heaters, generators, fridges, micros, inverters, batteries, cabinets, TV/DVDs, etc, etc.

A 2010 2500 170" WB has a maximum payload of 3005#, and 2872# for the extended. Curb weight does NOT include the driver, so you have exactly 505# and 372# of non-cargo stuff to add to the base weight. With the driver's weight and a 100# bulkhead you have maybe 200 pounds available before impacting the 2500# cargo capacity.

Looks to me like you have to go to the 3500 and build up the floor, in order to add the wonderful and weighty comforts of home and legally load 2500#.

Am I correct to assume the 2500# carrier requirement is not a strict prerequisite, and 2500 Sprinter drivers report their true, lesser ccc? I should think the carrier would want some form of documentation from the scales, as they could conceivably be held just as liable as the o/o in the event of an accident while over load limit. Or do they turn a blind eye to such details?

You need to check with the actual carrier. If they truly expect you to be able to carry at least 2500 you need to look elsewhere. A full tank of diesel fuel is going to weigh about 186lbs add that to your weight and you can see were you stand already. A few tools a cooler some clothes.....

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Curb weight is normally wet, which includes a full tank of fuel.

I read where many of you do watch your weight down to the pound. Others seemingly don't have a clue and/or don't care about GVW and load up. So I wonder how formal the weight verification process is with the carrier, whether it's the honor system or requires documentation. One recruiter I asked was confused, herself...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Most companies require you to bring a scale ticket with you to orientation. They look at the sticker inside the door jamb for the GVW and subtract the scale ticket weight. The difference needs to be 2500 or whatever they tell you is the required minimum capacity.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
To start with your last question first, yes, most carriers (all of them?) will require an empty weight ticket, where the van is full of fuel and outfitted completely and ready to go. (but if you're close, weight it with a nearly empty tank and maybe not-so completely outfitted :D ). Some carriers require a strict 2500 pounds, some require 3000, and some only require 2000 pounds. Some that want 2500 or 3000 will take you at 2000. Because of the additional weight, and lessened payload capacity of the new Sprinters, most carriers will almost certainly lower the requirement for Sprinters. They'll have to.

My empty weight ticket shows 3000 pounds of capacity, but that's a really old ticket before I added a bunch of stuff to the Sprinter. Any load I get that's over what I can carry, I'll turn it down, even if it's less than the empty weight ticket of 3000 pounds, because there's no forced dispatch, anyway. I don't get load offers that heavy very often, tho. The biggest reason for the carrier wanting an empty weight ticket isn't for their liability, but so that the dispatchers who are booking your loads will know how much weight you can carry. If they see you can only carry 2300 pounds, there's no point in them wasting their time calling you for a 2450 pound load.

So if you are close and need to shed a couple hundred pounds to get to that 2500 pound mark, weigh the thing with an empty fuel tank and hardly anything in the van, and then turn down all load offers that will cause you to exceed your GVWR. There won't be many, unless you are under 2000 pound capacity. You really need to be able to haul at least 2000 pounds to be in this business.

Unlike American cars and trucks which do not include the weight of the driver, the Curb Weight for the Sprinter, as per European Directive 95/48/EC, does include 75 KG (165 pounds) for the driver. So, you can add 165 pounds to that 2872, then subtract your own weight to get the actual payload capacity. If you weigh 200 pounds, then your capacity is actually 2837 including the driver.

All the talk of ac units, heaters, generators, fridges, micros, inverters, batteries, cabinets, TV/DVDs, etc, etc, are mostly for the older style units, like the 2005 which I have, where the payload capacity is 3626, because the curb weight is nearly 800 pounds lighter than the 2010 models.

For a 2010 model, long and tall, you have to be very careful what all you put in there. First on the list of don't put in there is a bulkhead, unless you absolutely positively have to have it. If you properly secure the freight, you won't need it. A bulkhead is great for loose packages and stuff that can go flying around, but for what we do it's just an elbow banger that's always in the way. Some people like the bulkhead, tho.

You can build a nice bunk that's lightweight. I used thicker, heavier wood for mine, but others have used lighter wood. Might depend on how much you weigh, tho. Some use PVC pipe. There are lots of alternatives. The only certainty is you want a comfortable mattress, preferably one with a memory foam topper or made entire of memory foam.

Don't do much of anything until it's insulated, however, and the insulation will add more weight than you'd think. It's not a crazy amount,but if you use a combination of foam board, canned foam like Great Stuff, and silver Reflectix bubble-pack foil, it'll add up. I think the canned foam is about 2 pounds per cubic foot, a little less than that, actually, but we'll go with 2 pounds.

Each 20 ounce can of Great Stuff yields a maximum of .57 cubic feet. For the 05 Sprinter I used 16 cans, wasted some, so figure .5 cubic feet per can, so I figure it was something along the lines of 8 cubic feet. For the 2010, being bigger, you're going to use up about 10 cubic feet of canned foam, and I'm just guessing at it, in addition to the foam board and Reflectix. So figure 20 cans for 10 cubic feet, and each cubic foot weighs in about 2 pounds, so the foam is 40 pounds, give or take. Add another 20 for the Reflectix, foil tape to seal it with, and the foam boards and whatever glue you use for the Reflectix (Liquid Nails and/or 3M spray adhesive). That's roughly 60 pounds of insulation. Not much, but it's not to be overlooked when you're on a tight poundage budget.

Once you get the basics like the insulation and bunk built, you'll know what you have left over. Add up the weights of all the necessities like clothes and securements and whatever else you'll take with you, and you'll have a better idea. Then you can add the other things, and will know the weights of them well before you add them. Things like Espar heater, batteries and battery cable, fridge, whatever.

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
All great info, and again a sticky opportunity. Stickies have the wiki-like advantage of getting updated over time, and corrected as others scrutinize the "facts".

Sifting through past threads, one would unlikely discern that 1) curb weight may/may not include the driver, depending on the vehicle's country of origin, 2) Sprinters may/may not provide plenty of cargo capacity, depending on build year, and 3) carriers do track this stuff, though apparently there are many ignorant of the rules and who put road safety at risk by piling on the loads.

I can see lots of upfitted late-model 2500s carrying over-limit loads, as newbies shy from the 3500's tight interior width and lower fuel mileage. And/or more of the heavier loads made available to properly weighed vehicles.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would use the manufacturers curb weight only as a guide. My 2004 Chevrolet Buyer's Guide doesn't list a curb weight. Instead it gives the GVRW (9600#) and the base payload (3975#) One could infer the curb weight to be the difference between these two numbers (5625). But there are several disclaimers dealing with optional engines and optional accessories. No mention of full fuel tanks.

If you are looking at a new Sprinter or a cube van where weight is more of a critical factor than with a standard van, weigh the thing full of fuel and your butt in the driver's seat before you buy it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
From my 2010 GM book, it includes a full standard tank and a 160lb driver.

Last edited: