Average pay per mile

indycolts

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
That one comment about "wouldn't get out of bed for less than $1.75 per mile" definitely leaves me confused. While it's none of my business as to how anyone conducts their business as an expediter I have to ask how that is even remotely possible. I know a major part of this business is forging relationships with brokers and customers that could potentially allow one to go on their own. From what I've seen being on your own and finding your own loads seems like the only possible way to even come close to $1.75 per mile.

Right now in my current arrangement it seems the best paying runs are "customer" runs and even those runs rarely seem to be paying more than $1.30 - $1.40 per mile. When it comes to winning bids on load board runs Im told this is currently a brokers market versus being a carrier market. Right now my group tells me they are forced because of the undercutting that is taking place to bid loads down to even as low as $.70-.80 per mile just to keep wheels turning. I see comments on here about the saturation and gut of sprinter vans at this time.

So, I'm not trying to come off as an a-hole here when I say it begs to reason as to how $1.75 per mile is achievable? Not doubting it because I'm a novice who chose at age 60 to start a new career because I was tired of answering to people with unreasonable expectations and requests. There is a vast array of experience on this site and if there is one thing I've learned it is to respect experience so no offense is meant by asking the question. Significant investment has been made and it is important to make sure I am maximizing the use of my time and investment so advice on this particular topic is very welcome and helpful.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
GEO can correct me if wrong, but he's talking about at CEVA. Not the general bid board wars that most of us play in. Different can of worms I think.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Geo works at Ceva. Local, multi-stop delivery.
If you take his yearly gross, minus expenses, divided by time worked, it doesn't look like it's worth the risk of ownership. My opinion.
I'd just drive for someone.
That's his choice, and if he's happy, that's all that counts.
It's really none of my business.
It is my business when he throws out comments like above that confuses people.
This causes discontent and confusion for those that can't get those "$1.75" offers.

He sales Sprinters, and often talks like a salesman.

Reactions: Mike99 and xiggi

indycolts

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Once again I can't get past the irony that CEVA is who I resigned from to start this new career.....amusing to say the least. Appreciate that feedback very much. The one thing I have looked past while doing this is factoring in time I am on the "clock". Would rather not think about it.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you have to add all numbers up on a run, sometimes, with d time, going up to 2nd floor or down to basement
going to mall, military bases, white glove stops, inside delivery etc, you have to learn the system
also taking trash away from a delivery to. I have been ask to take trash away, tell them there is a charge for that
it all adds up to 1.75 a mile, plus fuel surcharge. in 20 year's of doing this in what ever unit I have had made a $1.00 for all miles I have driven

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
forgot to add line haul, that is about 200 or more miles, ceva ground, hot shot runs
pickup after 1700 or before 0800 there is extra money for that
doing airport pick up on sat, sun, or holiday there is extra money for that
love picking up at the airport on a sun or holiday as nothing comes in on time
also pay's to have a great tax account to