Average pay per mile

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
What kind of frieght?? Some frieght pays more. Surface is the cheapest, then you have Refeer, Hazmat, TVAL, and White Glove. In no special order.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It really might be helpful if you'd tell us what you drive and who you drive for. Thus far you're all over the place, what with asking for brokers in one thread, telling someone there's lots of brokers, "just Google it" and now you want to know the average pay for an unknown vehicle at the the above carriers.

You could just post something like, "I"m not making enough money where I'm at and I want to move to where I can make more money!" But you'd have to stand in line to post that, because everyone else is saying the same thing. :D

Reactions: ttruck

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What's the average pay per mile with these companies:

Panther

Landstar

FedEx

Load1

Help me out guys!
Just a suggestion .... maybe a Phone Call to these companies by Someone (Like You ) could answer your questions ... some of us are too busy to do Your Homework for you..... no offence but we have heard these pleas several times before..

6Wheels

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
For the most part, I'm sure that most of us would not work if we didn't have to. So if you have to, why not make as much as you possibly can. I have always looked around for the best deal no matter what line of work I'm in. In this industry there are a lot of variables ,the most important is how you manage your business. Most of the rates per mile are similar with all companies, fees are all over the place. My running costs in a straight truck hover @ .62 a mile so I can make money at $1.00 a mile but I have to eat more blood pressure pills and try to not bite off a dispatchers head for the audacity of offering a load like that to me. I have e-mailed several recruiters that advertise here on expediters and they don't bother to get back to me. So really when it comes down to it you have to try to get info from other drivers, either in a parking lot or here on expediters. Problem is, often the conversation goes off track or out come the walls and angry comments. You can only be as strong as the weakest member, so why not try to build up that member? It would benefit the whole community.

Pro Direct

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Panther pays vans $.70cpm

Fed ex custom pays $.85 cpm I believe with CDL C and haz-mat.

Load One doesn't bother with pesky sprinters or cargo vans anymore I guess.

Landstar - I'm not sure they taking on vans either or what they might pay,

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't think your average pay per mile question can be answered at all when you are seeking to compare carriers. First, that is not a number carriers generally publish. Second, even if they did publish it, the average pay per mile two drivers earn with the same carrier can vastly differ. The numbers differ because driver behavior, preferences, equipment, credentials and more will vary. With self-employed expediter revenue, you don't compare carriers, you compare human beings.

With any carrier, the fleet-wide average pay per mile may be interesting to know but is a nearly meaningless number in practical application. It tells you nothing about how you might do if you sign on with a given carrier. With any carrier, your performance will not be a function of what that carrier's average is. It will be a function of how hard and smart you work.

Also note that you can easily manipulate your own average-pay-per-mile results with your load acceptance policy. If you declare that you will never run for anything less than $2.00 per mile, your average will be $2.00 per mile or higher. That's an awesome number but there is more to the story. At your $2.00 per mile minimum, you will loose loads to those who are willing to run the same freight at a lower price. You will have a high average but the number of miles you actually run will be lower.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moot and ntimevan

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
For the most part, I'm sure that most of us would not work if we didn't have to. So if you have to, why not make as much as you possibly can. I have always looked around for the best deal no matter what line of work I'm in. In this industry there are a lot of variables ,the most important is how you manage your business. Most of the rates per mile are similar with all companies, fees are all over the place. My running costs in a straight truck hover @ .62 a mile so I can make money at $1.00 a mile but I have to eat more blood pressure pills and try to not bite off a dispatchers head for the audacity of offering a load like that to me. I have e-mailed several recruiters that advertise here on expediters and they don't bother to get back to me. So really when it comes down to it you have to try to get info from other drivers, either in a parking lot or here on expediters. Problem is, often the conversation goes off track or out come the walls and angry comments. You can only be as strong as the weakest member, so why not try to build up that member? It would benefit the whole community.
If your running for a dollar a mile your driving prices down,this whats wrong with the industry people pulling cheap freight im running a 138 miler for 400.00 I guess im jus lucky.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
If your running for a dollar a mile your driving prices down,this whats wrong with the industry people pulling cheap freight im running a 138 miler for 400.00 I guess im jus lucky.

Well then God bless you because very few are seeing that , very few ! I spoke to a guy today who was driving for one of the bigger boys and he was looking at 1.20 a mile! And another guy who was sitting here driving for the big guys was on his 5 the day of sitting and he too finally deft for 160 mile @ 1.20 so sir your the exception !!! God bless you.

APMECHANIC

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
C/V .80 cpm , ST 1.20 cpm , these manufactured parts that are being produced aren't being produced at a discounted rate or sold at a discounted rate so why haul this stuff at a discounted rate unless your in expediting just to have an expensive hobby . Running a faded beat up yellow cube van isn't the answer . I believe in growing a savings account after business expenses are deducted and don't forget that it cost more to live now than just a few years ago .

indycolts

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some interesting comments here regarding how much people are running for per mile. My transportation group partner and I have an arrangement whereby I receive 72% of the tender fee. Am I misconstruing comments I read here when people are claiming they are running at $1.00 or more per mile? Are you (they) bidding on their own loads?

Here is an example of what I though was a great week for myself and I would like if someone can tell me acceptable or not accceptable.

Albany, NY to Boylston, Massachusetts with empty trip back to Albany so approx. 340 mile round trip for $375. Same day I pick up in Albany, NY again for a trip to Ontario, CA with essentially 60 hours to complete a 41 hour trip. My take on the run is $2,400. The trip to Boylston basically paid the fuel costs for the week because my deposited settlement was for $2,400. To me that was a good week but I'm only a 4 month rookie at this.

So what does anyone think...........positive or no?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is an example of what I though was a great week for myself and I would like if someone can tell me acceptable or not accceptable.
My take on the run is $2,400. The trip to Boylston basically paid the fuel costs for the week because my deposited settlement was for $2,400. To me that was a good week but I'm only a 4 month rookie at this.

So what does anyone think...........positive or no?

It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks. If it works for you, that's all that matters. Your first load paid $1.10 all miles. Your second load paid about .86/loaded mile. You need to look at a larger time frame rather than one week. Are you still in California?

Same day I pick up in Albany, NY again for a trip to Ontario, CA with essentially 60 hours to complete a 41 hour trip.
Did you run it in 41 hours?

indycolts

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
No I took the entire 60 hours with sleep in Omaha, NE and St. George, UT. I wanted to make the last segment of the trip only a 4-5 hour stretch, it worked out well. So far on the long runs I try to make a major dent in the trip length in the first 24 hours. Obviously not doing anything irresponsible, lots of bathroom breaks and stretch the legs breaks so to speak.

I am out of California, my dispatch and I decided mutually that a relocate was needed and it was a significant one. I drove from just south of San Francisco to Amarillo, TX last weekend. It worked though but was painful driving that far empty. I wound up with runs from Wichita Falls, TX to Selma, Alabama. Then from Tallassee, Alabama to Stratford, CT which allowed me to return home in upstate NY. Finished the week with a nice two day trip that involved pickup in Montreal and delivery to Boston, MA.

I think those rates are decent, my transportation group partner has no reason to BS me on what is prevalent right now in our segement of delivering freight. Bottom line is they said right now it could be considered a brokers market right now versus when it is more favorable for those doing the driving.