Arrow truckers

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter
It has come to my attention that Panther has offered to help the stranded truckers out by paying for the rider insurance in the truck for the o/o.Although nobel of them to do and even offer,On the other hand arent they self insured to the first 750,000?So how is it any skin off there back other than if something were to happen?otherwise it costs them 0!!!!!But ppl are raving about how great they are that they helped out these truckers.On the same token how about flipping some gas money out to the o/os who arent even offered a empty move home for christmas?I have talked to 3 drivers who work for different fleet owners at Panther, stuck more than 500 miles from there familys on this holiday.The drivers cant afford to dead head on there own dime like some other O/Os.I hope the big wigs enjoy there holiday at home with there familys,while these guys eat there flying j christmas dinners.If they can even afford that!!!!
Bottom line,if you cant take care of your own dont take on others and look to be a hero!!!!!:mad:

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
The rider insurance is from a different company not Panther. As for the drivers still out on the road, their owner should have paid for the fuel to dead head home. All of our drivers are at home except one team that wanted to stay out. I dead headed one team home from Dallas to south of Tampa, Fl on my dime so they could be with their familys. I know it was a long dead head home and it cost our company money, but the drivers being home is important to me and my wife. The team that wanted to stay out on the road we put them in a Hotel for Christmas.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
It has come to my attention that Panther has offered to help the stranded truckers out by paying for the rider insurance in the truck for the o/o.Although nobel of them to do and even offer,On the other hand arent they self insured to the first 750,000?So how is it any skin off there back other than if something were to happen?otherwise it costs them 0!!!!!But ppl are raving about how great they are that they helped out these truckers.On the same token how about flipping some gas money out to the o/os who arent even offered a empty move home for christmas?I have talked to 3 drivers who work for different fleet owners at Panther, stuck more than 500 miles from there familys on this holiday.The drivers cant afford to dead head on there own dime like some other O/Os.I hope the big wigs enjoy there holiday at home with there familys,while these guys eat there flying j christmas dinners.If they can even afford that!!!!
Bottom line,if you cant take care of your own dont take on others and look to be a hero!!!!!:mad:

The way I see it there twisted, IS, if'n they have been driving for a living and cannot afford to fuel up to go home for the Holidays, then, they should be more concerned about all the X Arrow drivers available these days for their jobs, steada whining about "nobody "gave" me nuthin". Jes a view from a different perspective.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
I am Not a Contractor with Panther, But you Know what? Atleast they Offered to Help as a Lot of Other Drivers and Owners did! There were even some Owners and Drivers who were already home that Offered to come back out to Help these Drivers!! When I gave that Arrow Driver a Ride to Atlanta from S.Carolina I wasn't expecting to get Reimbursed by my Company as I was On my way to Jacksonville I still went out of my way to get this guy closer to home, then went on to my Delivery which Isn't until tomorrow..It's Called--"Helping Others," and I sure would hope that IF Something ever Happened to me or anyone else Like that, Then someone would help out as well.. And I would Like to say Thank You to Everyone who did Help and who Offered to help these Guys and Gals get home for the Holidays!! :D

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
The rider insurance is from a different company not Panther. As for the drivers still out on the road, their owner should have paid for the fuel to dead head home. All of our drivers are at home except one team that wanted to stay out. I dead headed one team home from Dallas to south of Tampa, Fl on my dime so they could be with their familys. I know it was a long dead head home and it cost our company money, but the drivers being home is important to me and my wife. The team that wanted to stay out on the road we put them in a Hotel for Christmas.

Per Frank Ilacqua it was Panther that offered to cover the rider ins costs for any Panther truck that wanted to give an Arrow driver a ride home

Scuba

Veteran Expediter

So poor planing on drivers or o/o is Panthers fault? As an adult i knew where i wanted to be fro christmas and thanksgiving and i got myself there 500 miles cant pay for the fuel is their a bus station nearby? Sorry but poor planing on their part doesnt mean Panther should be on the hook for it. I don't live in the service area so i never expect Panther to get me home as an adult i plan ahead.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
It has come to my attention
You are kidding right? It made it all the way up to you:confused:
that Panther has offered to help the stranded truckers out by paying for the rider insurance in the truck for the o/o.
Yes I think that was a very nice gesture on their part and I would guess any drivers that benefitted from the offer thought it was nice as well.
Although nobel of them to do and even offer,
I don't think it was nobel of them, but it sure was nice of them
On the other hand
Do I hear a BUT(T) coming
So how is it any skin off there back
So in order to fit into your idea of nice the company should have to suffer some type of major loss?:rolleyes:
other than if something were to happen?
So are you saying someone had to get injured in order for it to be a nice thing to do?
otherwise it costs them 0!!!!!
Heres a concept: Its' not the cost of a gift but the thought that counts.
But ppl are raving about how great they are that they helped out these truckers
.I must have missed the posts where people said that they were great, I only saw where they mentioned that they had been able to help out a fellow driver.
On the same token how about flipping some gas money out to the o/os
That sounds like a wonderful idea, how many people were you able to donate money to?
who arent even offered a empty move home for christmas?
Unfortunately Empty moves for the holidays are pretty much a thing of the past
I have talked to 3 drivers who work for different fleet owners at Panther, stuck more than 500 miles from there familys on this holiday.The drivers cant afford to dead head on there own dime
I hope that these three were more appreciative of your gesture to help them than you seem to be towards Panthers efforts to help drivers stranded by another company
like some other O/Os.
Are you referring to the ones that planed ahead and budgeted their money for the trip home?
I hope the big wigs enjoy there holiday at home with there familys,
Me too!
while these guys eat there flying j christmas dinners.If they can even afford that!!!!
There is that word budgeting again
Bottom line,if you cant take care of your own
Yep I agree whole heartedly! You need to to take care of yourself, and not look for someone else to hand you something for free.
dont take on others
Not much of a Christmas spirit!
and look to be a hero!!!!!
That seems to be all to prevalent these days
It's Christmas, cheer up.:):

Merry Christmas to one and all!:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is not a carrier nor an owners responsibility to people home.

How can one even comtemplate anything otherwise?

It is not like they had no notice Christmas was coming...*LOL*

I'll don't feel remorse at those not being able to get home...for it is their own fault! just P.P.P...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Panther was not the only one to help out, they and the other companies stepped up without hesitation to help which is a good thing.

You know it is a good thing that we can say we did this for others in our profession but I think we all need to hold off on patting ourselves on our backs and telling ourselves "good job".

I have a very good reason to say that, this is something that we as an industry lack - compassion - we as individuals should be doing things all year round.

Some of us do attempt to get others involved to help out on bigger issues and we are met with asinine selfish comments about our attempts which only forces some of us not to ask at all.

This industry and most truckers are amazing, the contrast of help between an issue like this and other issues (like the ones I brought up) is too much that is can't be described in simple terms.

When the industry can actually do some good by actually doing some good, and the individuals who call themselves truckers step up on doing some good things as a large group then we can consider saying to ourselves "good job".

Until then, let's not get proud of doing something right for once but be thankful these guys did get the help.

1stariel

Seasoned Expediter
My husband is contracted to Panther. No, they did not give empty moves for Christmas but they DID give empty moves for the Thanksgiving Holidays, which we thought was fabulous. A message was sent out to all drivers that if they wanted to be home for Christmas, to be sure and put in hometime request, which my husband did. He was home the day before his requested date. We have found this to be the status quo...Panther is very good at getting him home, usually a day or two before the requested date. Kudos to Panther!

Merry Christmas to Everyone!

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
No matter if it was Panther Expedite or FedEx Custome Critical that did something good, someone would find something to yell about. We live in a world where someone is going to find faults with someone doing a good deed. When I was with FedEx Custom Critical they did many things to help the people of the Akron area. They paid me to deliver Christmas trees that was auctioned off to raise money for Akron Childrens Hospital.

Twice a year I did the Akron City hospital rummage sale that raised money for breast cancer for women. I did that for ten years with FedEx Custom Critical. This year Andy (CEO)and Ed (CIO) from Panther Expedite went out for a week in a van to raise money for Toys for Tots. Everyone was mad about that. I picked up some of the Toys for Tots in one of our trucks and was offered money by Panther to move a whole d unit full of toys. I told Panther that I didn't want any money because I didn't want drivers to think I as taking money out of their pockets like they said about Andy and ED.

The point I'm trying to make is some will find something to be mad about no matter what you do. Merry Christmas Everyone

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Some ppl aren't happy unless someone is a victim. Scuba said it perfectly... poor planning does not get my sympathy. They knew where they wanted to be, they needed to plan for it... not just go with the flow.

I just don't know where this entitlement mentality comes from! Where is personal responsibility??? I made my bed... they made theirs.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm about 2500 miles from home today, spending Christmas at the Flying Hook - and I'm not whining about it, either. I accepted a run to LA, knowing it would probably mean not getting home, with gratitude for the work.
The offers of help for the stranded Arrow drivers didn't surprise me, but the lack of outrage towards the Arrow officials did - it was a shameful display of cowardice in the face of difficulty. I'd hope they won't be able to start over under another name, but they probably will, sigh.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The fact that the checks were bouncing for three weeks should've given the drivers an idea something like this would happen... at least for the "veterans".

Yes, Arrow is low to pull this crap, being that they knew it would happen. I'd like to see the same amount of money pulled from everyone who got paid there. What's good for the goose...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Arrow execs are low to say the least. There wasn't some light switch flipped that made all this happen in one day. They knew it was coming and if they didn't they were TOTALLY incompetent. Some of them are most likely scum although I can't say that with absolute certainty. I hope other companies have stepped up to help like Panther did.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I just can't understand where an expediter can expect more than the un-expected from this line of work.

Expediting is quickly becoming synonymous with whining.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This year Andy (CEO)and Ed (CIO) from Panther Expedite went out for a week in a van to raise money for Toys for Tots. Everyone was mad about that.

Dave,
I don't think anyone was mad at them, but it seemed to me that it was something that could have been done a bit better to leverage the PR for it, play it up as something big.

I understood it was to see what it was like to be a driver, to take the information they get from their little trip and do something positive with it for the contractors - which is a very good thing - "and oh by the way we will donate the proceeds to T4Ts program" which seemed to be an after thought. They could have actually done this as a secret project too and been silent about it and spring it on people at the last day - we did the work you did and here is what we found out ... ... and all the proceeds went to T4Ts program. Or better yet asked other contractors to pitch in and see if they could throw something in too.

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter

Panther is self insured to the first 750k of a loss
Meaning they boosted themselves up on the back of the O/Os equipment for a just deed.Thats very kind of you Bruno to help out your contracters Kudos.:)

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter
My husband is contracted to Panther. No, they did not give empty moves for Christmas but they DID give empty moves for the Thanksgiving Holidays, which we thought was fabulous. A message was sent out to all drivers that if they wanted to be home for Christmas, to be sure and put in hometime request, which my husband did. He was home the day before his requested date. We have found this to be the status quo...Panther is very good at getting him home, usually a day or two before the requested date. Kudos to Panther!

Merry Christmas to Everyone!

These drivers are contractors for a Fleet owner at panther so they are to blame as much as panther being tight and not offering a empty move after the drivers have been on home time for 2 weeks prior to christmas.Home time for the most part is a joke and seldomly works for me.