Any under-CDL Straight Trucks Out There?

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My truck is cdl because it has Air brakes.

Having air brakes on a vehicle that is less than 26,001 doesnt require it to be cdl.
CDL is determined by usage of the vehicle as well as weight.
Vehicle wt, Hazmat or passengers (16) determine if the vehicle requires air brakes then the operator is required to have the endorsement.
If your registered axel wt is more than 26,001 you will need the cdl.
But, having a vehicle that has a gvw under 26,001 with air brakes
doesnt necessarily mean cdl.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
There it is. Maybe it's a loaded or empty wgt thing. Maybe it's only on scales in reservations. Crazy thing out there.
If you stop and ask you will have to get one. I make them come get me. :eek: I don't go out there much anymore.

No. It really does look as if this is a brand new thing. They are expanding permit requirements to boost revenue. It's silly that they expect vans and cubes to pay fuel taxes, when they know good and well that those vehicles have smaller tanks and will most likely buy fuel in that state before they leave.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
No. It really does look as if this is a brand new thing. They are expanding permit requirements to boost revenue. It's silly that they expect vans and cubes to pay fuel taxes, when they know good and well that those vehicles have smaller tanks and will most likely buy fuel in that state before they leave.

the dot lady told me that I only had to pay permit but if i was over 26k she would make me pay fuel tax as well unless i had a colorado fuel invoice for that day. but it's all part of the industry. for now I will keep the current truck at a $600 a year illinois standard 26kgvw tag the next truck I get will get the apportioned with ifta. unless i get a deal on a under 26gvw then apportioned only which is $1400 or so give or take for illinois then no ifta.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The sign I saw said all commercial vehicles. Since I have lettering and qc dome I wasn't going to take a chance. I figured $14 insurance premium was better than $xxx in fines.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

Yeh but if you ask them about the fuel tank deal they can't answer you. They don't know how far their personnel car can go. It's all about revenue. My way of thinking over the last few years when it comes to C/V's is stay east of Texas, ok, nb, ia, Dakota's. It cost to much west of there and to hard to get back. That's me and my operation.:cool: