Any under-CDL Straight Trucks Out There?

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
After a couple recent conversations, I find myself interested to know just how many of you out there own and drive an expediter truck which is 26000 GVWR or less (especially the class 6 dock high ones).

Is it a 16ft and under? 18-24?

Is your carrier keeping you loaded?

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
We used to run a 26000 lb truck. We had a 24 ft. box that the front 7 feet was converted into a sleeper. we could carry 9000 lbs of cargo and had 17 ft of cargo area. we never had a problem getting freight.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
I'm a solo, class 6, dock high, 22', 9500lb payload with a 3' sleeper. I find my own loads and they have already been filtered through carriers and some through expediter load boards. I find it amazing how many of them are just out of my 11 hour range. This leads me to beleive there are still a lot of straight truck solos out there. If the Feds limit me to 10 hours I may switch to 300 mile radius (insurance saving) and see if I can find a couple of brokers that accept 300 mile radius insurance and can keep me busy. I'm based in northern In. I could make a living running day loads but what a waste of a good truck.

Deville

Not a Member
Lot's of c units out there. My next truck will be under 26k with airbrakes & air ride & an 18ft to 20ft box. 90% of my loads are under 5000 pounds. No need to keep paying for an IRP plate every year when normal comercial plates will do & are re-newed every 2 years.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Thank you for your replies. I am hoping for even more input as to how well these units are staying busy. I don't have any in my fleet at this time, but would be open to it.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
That was a good question and I also hope to see more replies and from what area of the country they operate the most.;)

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Lot's of c units out there. My next truck will be under 26k with airbrakes & air ride & an 18ft to 20ft box. 90% of my loads are under 5000 pounds. No need to keep paying for an IRP plate every year when normal comercial plates will do & are re-newed every 2 years.

Colorado will make you pay $60 permit for a day driving permit for your truck if no IRP LOL they made me pay other day. but I agree what is $60 if your not hitting that state often.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
The reason I am asking is, if you are running a vehicle that does not require an apportioned (IRP) tag, it look like you got jacked for 60 bucks by a DOT officer who doesn't know the regs. That $60 day permit is for vehicles that DO require IRP tags, but don't have Colorado listed on the IRP. (You can list all states, or opt out of ones that you don't think you'll ever go to, to cheapen the tag. If you do need to go there, you pay a temporary pass.)

I've never heard of a special pass for non-cdl vehicles in CO. NY has a heavy use tax for vehicles over 18K GVW. KY has one for 55001+ GVW. Oregon has a day permit for vehicles 26001+ because they have no IFTA tax. NM has a permit to travel through there and TX has a permit for doing TX in-state runs. All of these should be purchased for you by your carrier.

Next time a DOT officer wants you to pay something out of pocket, make sure and ask VERY NICELY to see it in their state (or even federal) regs, so that you can get reimbursed by your carrier. Don't expect them to know it if you don't.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had to buy a permit for my van in Arizona. It was $60 for a 3 day permit or I could get a 30 day permit for $14. :confused: :eek: :confused:

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I had to buy a permit for my van in Arizona. It was $60 for a 3 day permit or I could get a 30 day permit for $14. :confused: :eek: :confused:

Very strange indeed. Were they able to show you a state reg that said you were required to pay? I couldn't find ANYTHING of Colorado's website about day fees except where it applied to an IRP vehicle, where CO was not listed on the IRP.

I think most DOT and state officer are trained with the IRP vehicle in mind, and don't know what to do when dealing with a "commercial" used vehicle that isn't a T/T. I've had vans zoom straight through AZ several times in the last few months. Never been asked to purchase anything.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

If you are running your own MC number in or thru Arizona you have to have a permit. Don't ask me why it just is.:cool:
If you have not been stopped, consider yourself lucky. If you go thru Sheffield scale in the indian reservation you will. That's the last scale before going into 4 corners, (old hwy666).

Last edited:

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
If you are running your own MC number in or thru Arizona you have to have a permit. Don't ask me why it just is.:cool:
If you have not been stopped, consider yourself lucky. If you go thru Sheffield scale in the indian reservation you will. That's the last scale before going into 4 corners, (old hwy666).

The interesting thing is, that if you go to any website that specializes in permitting, they have NOTHING for Colorado OR Arizona, which leads me to believe that this is a new revenue scam created by agents attempting to reinterpret the regs.

You ask them to show you where in the regs that it is a requirement for an under-cdl vehicle to pay for fuel taxes. I emailed the ops mgr at a company in Costa Mesa, CA that runs vehicles into AZ and NV all of the time. He's never heard of this either.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
colorado considers any 26gvw truck only if empty weight is 16k or under with out cargo the dot lady told me.

I paid $60 for 72 hour laden weight permit.

Sorry didn't answer faster been busy as all heck running all over the place.

The reason I am asking is, if you are running a vehicle that does not require an apportioned (IRP) tag, it look like you got jacked for 60 bucks by a DOT officer who doesn't know the regs. That $60 day permit is for vehicles that DO require IRP tags, but don't have Colorado listed on the IRP. (You can list all states, or opt out of ones that you don't think you'll ever go to, to cheapen the tag. If you do need to go there, you pay a temporary pass.)

I've never heard of a special pass for non-cdl vehicles in CO. NY has a heavy use tax for vehicles over 18K GVW. KY has one for 55001+ GVW. Oregon has a day permit for vehicles 26001+ because they have no IFTA tax. NM has a permit to travel through there and TX has a permit for doing TX in-state runs. All of these should be purchased for you by your carrier.

Next time a DOT officer wants you to pay something out of pocket, make sure and ask VERY NICELY to see it in their state (or even federal) regs, so that you can get reimbursed by your carrier. Don't expect them to know it if you don't.