An Expedite Upset in the Making?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe so, but there are plenty more who do what First Class did. Is E-1 going to buy everyone? Do Low-bidding NLM carriers are a dime a dozen. I hope E-1 paid as much.

Sure..why not? If it involves your own business model?

I mean Panther bought Conway..Did it bring up the Panther reputation...No...It just lower the quality of services to customers and O/O's of Conway.

Ya know what they say...If ya can't beat em, Buy em!!

Last edited by a moderator:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Big whup is right.

"Analyses are solely the work of the authors and have not been edited or endorsed by GLG."

How do we know that some stoolie at either of the companies didn't write the piece?

Real credible.

NEXT!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
How do we know that some stoolie at either of the companies didn't write the piece?

While analyst opinions vary from analyst to analyst, you know that one is not a stoolie at a company by the analyst's name, employer or firm, and previous works.

The web site linked above does not name the analyst but I have no doubt that he or she is not employed by one of the expedite companies mentioned.

Market analysts are known individuals with opinion histories that can be easily determined by anyone wishing to do so. You can meet them in the flesh if you go where they tend to hang out (conferences, business events, etc). It may require you to spend some money or open an account to get to the opinions, but that does not change the fact that these people are real people who make a full-time study of the companies and industries they analyze.

How useful are they really? After all, there were about one gazillion analysts that failed to predict the market crash and the (pick your favorite) crisis of 2008. I would not bank on anything most analysts have to say, but some are better than others and all can help you think things through as you do your own analysis and chart your course as an owner-operator.

Paying attention to them can help you see and think of things you might not have seen or thought about before.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But Phil you left out something important - it doesn't matter.....when it comes to getting freight on yours or my truck, what matters is who wants it moved, where they are at and when.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Let'em buy who ever they want, I haul for all of them so it benefits me in the long run "more freight they can't cover". The only problem I see I might face will be if E-1 tries to go any cheaper than they are now on the broker rates. The only other problem I see with this merger is "IF" 1st class had any customers then the E-1 O/O's "might" be offered less pay to cover those loads. I know for a fact that there were some 1st class O/O's running for as cheap as .50 a mile in a van. I hope E-1 will put a stop to that. There are already too many other low budget carriers out here running that cheap and sometimes cheaper.:eek:

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It should be interesting. Did they buy the customers of the carrier or...did they buy access to a group of owner operators who are used to running cheaper than the ones they currently have. Wonder what the real motivation was?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
According to their press release, the motivation was to "further enhance our expedited footprint."

That's what's missing in our business! Diane! Honey! Quick! We need an enhanced expedited footprint. Let's head out first thing in the morning to Enhanced Expedited Footprints R Us. I'm checking Google now to find the nearest store.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It should be interesting. Did they buy the customers of the carrier or

You can buy someones customer list but it is another thing to buy that customers business, except for maybe a long term contract here and there keeping any given customer is never a sure thing..

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can buy someones customer list but it is another thing to buy that customers business, except for maybe a long term contract here and there keeping any given customer is never a sure thing..

That's a good point, which might make one think that my second reason may be the real one? Who knows, it's all about the "Enhanced Expedite Footprint" which Phil is in pursuit of right now. Google is running slow so he must really be workin it;).

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard thru the company grapevine First Class had virtually no customer base..Just relied on NLM...At the present they are operated separately...IF 1st class O/O's are getting the benefit of E-1 rates...all the better for them....But if E-1 is selling cheap loads to them...bad for us.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
How can you even compare tiny Expres-1 with Panther Expedited Services; a company that grossed well over 200 million dollars last year? Panther Expedited Services is almost neck in neck revenue wise with FedEx Cutom Critical. Not FedEx the company; but FedEx Custom Critical the Expedite division of FedEx. Panther is pretty much well financed and can provide service that many smaller companies simply cannot.

E1 is not so "tiny". They can and do offer and provide services that FedEx and Panther do. From their website..

...the most competitive price on multiple service options including white glove services, temperature validated transport (cold chain transport), truckload, LTL and flatbed.

...the best surface and air expedite solutions into Mexico and Canada with our bi-lingual customer service team and on-site staff across both borders.

...selected as the NASSTRAC Expedited Carrier of the Year for 2009 based on having the best customer service, operations, pricing, business relationships, leadership and technology.

Yes, I'm an enthusiastic "cheerleader" for Express-1. They are a top rate company and they provide top rate service for their customers. We have always been treated well by the load planners, always paid on time, and have always had any questions or problems addressed quickly and to our satisfaction. E1 will not be one of those "small companies" fading into oblivion.

Last edited:

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Inkasnana wrote: ..the most competitive price on multiple service options including white glove services, temperature validated transport (cold chain transport), truckload, LTL and flatbed.

Every Carrier can clam this, they simply outsource to other carriers!!!! Like Fedex, Panther, or even me!!. How many E-1 temp control units have you seen that were actually leased O/O's to E-1?? I have never seen a D unit reefer or even a E unit reefer that was plastered with the big E-1 logo. And the truckload and LTL is handled by one of there sister companies.

Another Quote from the website: ...the best surface and air expedite solutions into Mexico and Canada with our bi-lingual customer service team and on-site staff across both borders.

Who says they are the best?? I would think that Fedex has the best/most air and surface solutions into Mexico and Canada. I was told from a E-1 driver just last Saturday @ the Corfu Flying J that they are not even going in to Canada, whats up with that??

Don't get me wrong here folks I like Express One I have heard alot of good things about them, but they really are not as big as Fedex or Panther. Atleast the Fed and Panther have units leased to them directly to haul this specialized freight and they go to Canada.

If my statement about the driver telling me E-1 does not go into Canada is incorrect then I appologize. It was a Sprinter driver that has been with them for awhile, he told me they are x-docking the freight at the border with another carrier. Why, he did not know.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We did not claim to be as big as P2 or Fedex...just claimed on growth...

Express-1 does NOT go into Canada...WHY? I have no clue..I have company Pars stickers and Manifests...and have requested to go because I have family up there and would like to get paid at least one way to visit...

I will be be critical of Express one on this topic and take the hit if it follows....

At Orientation they say not to cut the pie into pieces that limits your income and yet...No Canada..It is a big part of the expedite pie even more so now when business is slow...
It is a bad policy. At least for me personally.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
I've been told both ways.. that E1 DOES go into Canada, and that they do not. I guess the only way to truthfully answer the question is to call them and ask. As for E1 being as big as Panther or FedEx, they never claimed to be. But they do offer the same services. And besides.. bigger isn't always better.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I've been told both ways.. that E1 DOES go into Canada, and that they do not. I guess the only way to truthfully answer the question is to call them and ask. As for E1 being as big as Panther or FedEx, they never claimed to be. But they do offer the same services. And besides.. bigger isn't always better.

I think you are confusing them. E1 is a expedite company, and the Fed and Panther are logistic companies. They aren't the same thing.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dave, why did you bring that up?

we may see a three page explanation about how FedEx is logistics company and how some never see cheap rates because..... never mind..... :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Dave, why did you bring that up?

we may see a three page explanation about how FedEx is logistics company and how some never see cheap rates because..... never mind..... :)

Ummm........my bad:D

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do know that TST does a lot of E-1's Canada work, a TST driver told me they do all of it, not sure on that but he had no reason to boast, and I've had an E-1 driver say the same.

I heard it at a truckstop so it has to be true.........right?:rolleyes:

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
E1 does offer logistics services. I'm not saying that all their services are strictly through E1 and not through some partner companies, I'm just saying they do offer the services. We do loads for Bounce Logistics, which is partnered with E1. (You'll have to excuse me if I'm not putting it right, I don't know all the correct technical terminology for it all.)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let me explain more clearly....

E-1 said they'd try to get me to Canada when I requested to go.
BUT most of the staff in planning I think forgets, because I am the only one that does. I have told them repeatedly..I don't have to be babysat...I can get the load across.. 6 yrs experience 2-3 times a week.
So...Yes.. they do Canada bound loads but their trucks never cross the border....it is xdocked in Detroit and Buffalo..usually with TST