Americans are ignorant about Canadians:

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
True, very true, but why should we care about knowing more about them? Our Economy and National Defense is not dependant upon them (thank god or we would all be speaking French) instead of Spanish or I mean English. They should pay close attention.

Not bashing Canadians facts are facts. Great Country terrible Government, I prefere choosing and paying for my own medical care thank you so much.....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>True, very true, but why should we care about knowing more
>about them? Our Economy and National Defense is not
>dependant upon them (thank god or we would all be speaking
>French) instead of Spanish or I mean English. They should
>pay close attention.
>
>Not bashing Canadians facts are facts. Great Country
>terrible Government, I prefere choosing and paying for my
>own medical care thank you so much.....

OK?!?

So what's your point?

Tell us something we don't know. LOL

All I know is that there are fewer Canadians trying to get into our country illegally and when I am faced with trying to talk to a French-Canadian, I know they know English and most of the time are patient with me and my messed up Norman French.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
#2 reason to love our northern neighbors.

Tim Hortons Coffee. Second only to Dunkin Donut Coffee

||#|| Oh, Canada! ||#||

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Timmy`s is not the same since Wendys aquired them,Especially the stores in the US. SAD!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As a whole Americans are ignorant in general with each generation more ignorant than the last. Our education system has become a joke. Schools only teach what's on the assessment of skills test so the kids will appear to be intelligent and educated and the school will get more government money. They don't have the time or resources to teach what's truly important. I'm just a dumb ole country boy who was mistakenly born in the big city but I can at least figure out how much my change is supposed to be when I purchase something. We're ignorant of so many things, not just Canada and Canadians.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Molsons Export has it's moments.
The NHL
Montreal and Quebec city ,2 of the most attractive cites in N.America
Lake Lousie and Baniff National park in Alberta
French pastries from Hole in the Wall bakeries in Quebec
Eh

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>#2 reason to love our northern neighbors.
>
>Tim Hortons Coffee. Second only to Dunkin Donut Coffee
>
>||#|| Oh, Canada! ||#||

you know Terry there is a running argument going on with a bunch of cross border people here in Detroit about the difference. I heard last time they got on the 'which is better' wagon they rented a bus and went to all different locations both in the states and Canada comparing the two, I think it is more to do with Canadian pride.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Okay,

I have a hunch my sig file has ignited this debate.

I have just one question to ask Broompilot....

What is the only foreign power to defeat the United States in an armed conflict - on it's soil?

Here's a hint, it starts with a "C".

He, He, He.:) :)

Seriously, you have to live in Canada (or be a frequent traveler) to understand the point of my sig file.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

T.V. - Why do you think they call it programming?

No, YOU suck. - the mean people

"Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States." - J. Bartlett Brebner

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure. - I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Become who you are. - Nietzsche

Whoever coined the phrase "Quiet as a mouse" has never stepped on one.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok, other than the obvious impediment to concentration and physical block to information exactly how does the banana in the ear mentioned in your sig file relate to the dumbing down of America? :+

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Its still a Sig file and once again Why should we know more about them, heck any European can tell you the system of our Government. Why $, and Canada would not be selling us Oil if it were not for $ .

I have friends and relatives in Canada I know the area codes by heart, the terms that they live under I do not or would not want to live under I would be finding anyway possible to get out.

It is 2nd best but far far from 1st...

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Tim Horton is one of our main reasons for accepting a Canadian load, well maybe there are a few other reasons. Tim Horton's has the BEST egg salad sandwich ever, and then follow that up with a butter raisin tart and wash it all down with coffee. That is the best!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think you just answered your own question, there, BP. You choose to live in America, based on what you have learned about living in Canada. But you couldn't make that choice (intelligently, anyway) if you didn't know anything about living there.
Both LDB & the quote in Lawrence's sig file are correct: most Americans don't learn, or want to know, how other places & cultures differ. We're only depriving ourselves of much that we could enjoy, though. For example: I'd like to learn to make bread & pastry from a French cook, to argue , from an Italian, to build bookshelves, from a German, garden design from a Brit, & rowdy drinking songs from an Aussie, lol. :9 Anyone else have suggestions?

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>
>Not bashing Canadians facts are facts. Great Country
>terrible Government, I prefere choosing and paying for my
>own medical care thank you so much.....

That's exactly what you are doing.
You are insulting MY country; where I was born, raised and am proud to live.
It is a great country and it has an excellent system of government.
I don't know why, Broompilot, you are always bashing my country.
You say you have friends and relatives up here.
I don't know how they can put up with your insufferable ignorance.
You are obviously so ignorant and thick headed you can't see anything beyond your narrow little view.

You, on another thread, knocked OVM and told him to stay up north because he had the teremnity to offer a small defense.

Why don't YOU....stay the hell outa MY country!
You don't like it, refuse to try and understand it and then knock it all the time.

You are typical of the way Americans treat Canada, full of distain and ignorance.
This thread was started to bash Canada and most things you post are full of BULL SH*T !!!!!!
You sir are an AZZHOLE !!!!!!!!

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Canada is a good neighbor, but like all relationships we will disagree from time to time.

We do not need a fence or a military force to guard the border. The cost savings alone is worth the friendship for both nations.

The trade we have with them is beneficial for both of us. Sometimes it will favor us and sometimes it will favor them.

I would like Mexico to be more like Canada.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey guys lets keep it civil or we will have to lock and remove this thread. Personal bashing accomplishes nothing. There are good and bad apples in both countries.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Here's where I have to disagree. Canada is a democracy so it has majority rule. If that's so then most people prefer it the way it is. My opinion or your opinion really doesn't matter.

I love the place. I'm glad I don't go there much but that's because it's such a pain coming back over the border. However I've been just as offended by Canadians who think they know everything about us. There are opinionated and uninformed folks on both sides of the border. Anyway I figure God must live somewhere just north of Wawa at least one or two months of the year.

Tony

Expert Expediter
Wendy's bought the great Timmy's? Please say it ain't so. Next to Kona grown coffee, Tim Horton's coffee with a double dip maple is paradise with your eyes closed.

klippencott

Expert Expediter
I would agree that most Americans are ignorant about Canadians. Most of us just don't have a need to know and understand people in other countries. Believe me I'm not bashing Canadians or Americans for that matter! I think folks are too wrapped up in their day to day lives to worry about others. Most Canadians are ignorant about Americans too, oh they can tell you about our politics but not much about our day to day lives. Looking at or listening to George Bush certainly would not educate anyone as to the kind of American or person I am!

I feel I'm in a neutral position on the subject. Half my family are Canadians and the other half Americans. I own a home in both Canada and the USA. I was born and raised in the USA but my family reunion is in Canada each year. I don't believe Canadians know anymore about us than we know about them.