Almost ready to head out

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Just got word from Landstar Qualification Center my application has been approved. Next step Tuesday is get truck dyno. Already had oil analysis and the results were excellent I personally checked out the truck and took a slew of photos.

Truck is a 1998 FL70, 22’ Kidron dry box translucent roof, roll-up rear door 94 ½†opening height and 94 ¼†opening width, 4 rows of e-tracks, height of truck 12’ 3 ½â€, 2500lb liftgate 1 year old, tandem tag axle 1 year old, Power –Tech TPU 7000 kilowatt generator, GVW 45,000lbs, 25,000lbs unladen weight, max load 20,000lbs on flat runs hilly ones like Rockies max around 13,000lbs, 631,000 miles, Cat 3126 had top end done at 300,000 and the lower unit was in great condition oil and filter changed every 8500 miles with 1 gallon of Lucas added the extra gallon of oil is used to change generator oil, dual 75 gallon fuel tanks, air ride for box and another system for cab/sleeper rear axle airbags replaced 1 year ago, Allision automatic transmission, 90% for steer tires, 80% for drive tires, Centramatics on all axles, alloy wheels, cat eye on drive axle, landing dolly, 5’ diamond plate tool box mounted on frame, turbo replaced 6 months ago, air cooler hose to turbo replaced this month, rear brakes and all components were replaced this month, loads of LED lights no excuse they can’t see you, 1500lb pallet jack, dozen ratchet straps, dozen packing blankets, 10 load bars, plywood for decking, 84†Bentz sleeper (which is way bigger than I need as a solo), full size RV porcelain toilet in enclosed bathroom with crank up vent plus holding tank and discharge hoses , sink with counter space, RV refrigerator, full size microwave, 19†flat screen TV/DVD with hook up for cable or satellite, collapsible kitchen table, XM radio, AM/FM radio with CD player, bed can be adjusted from 38†to 51 ½†width depending on size of mattress chosen and is 74†long, Coleman roof A/C heater replaced 1 year ago, driver and passenger seats replaced in last 2 years, box is in excellent condition as is cab and sleeper, and all receipt since day one have been stored and cataloged. Truck is currently leased with Landstar and will be grandfathered. Cost is $19,000.00.

Truck was originally built for H/W team and had all the state of art doodads included the next couple of owners added on more equipment as they saw fit to increase revenue or cut costs. I think that covers everything?

If I get positive dyno results I’ll finalize sale and head for orientation in Rockford, IL.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Don't forget to get a vischeck and an ecm dump. Oh and also take the vin to the dealer and get that info.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Sounds like alot of truck for the money. I agree with all the research and dilegence checking out the truck but also be careful not to do too much and talk yourself out of a great deal. Good luck and have fun.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Good luck John.. John and I have had several phone conversations regarding this purchase and I have to commend him for his diligence and research. He could put together a article for newbies that are getting into this business with real facts not some glossed over pie in the sky scheme from a particular team..

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Greg,
I told CAT I wanted dyno as I planned to buy truck and they said they would make copies of all work CAT had done on truck since day one.

After reading your post yesterday about vis check and ecm dump I called CAT shop and they will also be doing ecm dump and vis check.

I appreciate you passing on those suggestions.

Thanks

John

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good luck John, as I as well enjoyed our recent conversations. It is refreshing to see someone take the time to do the proper research prior to diving in.
Again, good luck on the new venture and have a great Christmas and New Year.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Best of luck to you John, although with your research and thoroughness you won't need luck. Be sure to have PLENTY of fuel treatment as well as a bottle of Diesel 911 and spare fuel filters when you go to Rockford. Last year it was -9F overnite and a balmy 16 during the day in Rockford in December during orientation week.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Leo,
Thanks for the heads up on additional equipment.

Huh, I swear they told me Rockford was in the Florida Keys...lol

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Hi Rich,
I appreciate your kind words. Thanks for giving me your feedback on ALL the MANY questions I posed to you.
Folks like you, Leo, Dave and a few more have helped me side step many pitfalls since coming onboard in Nov 04.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Thanks, Highway Star.

In talking with Landstar O/O's they overwhelming agree with you that a truck set up this way will fit the bill.

Rikk

Expert Expediter
Hey, best of luck to you guys! I know others who lease to Landstar and it's a good company. As for your truck, nice move. Lot of truck for the money.

One word of advice for you. I have an FL80 with a 3126, keep the oil changed, keep using the Lucas, and use fuel aditive. On thing I noticed early when your oil pressure starts to drop under normal conditions change the oil, weather or not it's time. For some reason under heavy stress the oil looses viscosity.

Anyrate, the most important thing is to HAVE FUN!!!

Happy, Happy, Merry, Merry

Rikk
A. Blair
Truck 81406
KG4AAO

GerryGA

Seasoned Expediter
JohnO, best of luck, if in the next few weeks/months ya get by Kingsland, GA give me a post/PM and I treat ya too some good BBQ, I just want to pick your brain, being a newbie I need lots of help and info.

Gerry

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Gerry,
Thanks for the generous offer next time I'm in your area I'll contact you. Just so you realize I only have 9 months expediting experience, so I still consider my self a newbie, who is more than happy to share what others have told me and I’ve experienced.