Almost ready to head out

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
John, I'm really happy that things have turned out so well for you - you deserve it, for sure. And you've earned it, so: enjoy!:)

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
lot of truck for the money john as already said,but how long will they let you keep it,if only 10 years you wont have much time to pay it off
the best of luck to you
HAPPY HOLIDAYS

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
J.O.
Sounds like a great truck, but also sounds familiar in some ways. Welcome to Landstar and Merry CHRISTmas to you and yours.;) :7

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Good Deal John, good luck with your new adventure. I am positive you will do a great job and Landstar is very lucky to get you. Hope to see you at the Expo next year.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Good luck John.. John and I have had several phone
>conversations regarding this purchase and I have to commend
>him for his diligence and research. He could put together a
>article for newbies that are getting into this business with
>real facts not some glossed over pie in the sky scheme from
>a particular team..

It's really good of you, Rich, to mention "a particular team" in this thread. Thank you for protecting us. That team must really suck. Keep up the good work! :) Could you be more specific? Who is this team and what are their sins. Your protection is appreciated. What is the pie in the sky scheme you are talking about? Newbies especially should be warned.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Thanks, Steve
Landstar doesn't have any restriction on truck age; it will stay in service as long as it passes company paid inspection every 120 days.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Hi Bob & Linda,
Appreciate the words of encouragement and look forward to helping out with you guys at the Expediters Expo in 2007.

Thanks

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A Team wow did I hit a nerve. You flatter yourself thinking that my post to JohnO somehow involved you. There are many Teams in this industry and John knows the story about the pie in the sky scheme and believe me you did not come up on the radar screen. The expediting world does not revolve around you.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Well dyno results on the CAT 3126 came back and she's in great shape

Fuel pressure was mid-range
eBoost psi 21.5 to 23.5
Blow by 1.1
83% to rear wheels

ECM dump
Odometer read 632,914
ECM read 631,038
Difference minus 1876 miles
That can be attributed to different tire size
They upgraded all the software

Vis Inspection was AOK

They performed required 120 day Landstar truck inspection with no discrepancies noted

They are mailing me all previous work receipts truck had done at CAT shops and for all work done today.

So this seals the deal now just a matter of finding mutual date to sign paperwork and hand over the mulla

I wonder if seller will give me S&H green stamps?

Work was done at Yancey Brothers of Conley, GA 404-361-2424
They were the 1st CAT shop in USA

Being I was 856 miles away they could have gouged me with VIS check and 120 day inspection but instead were totally professional and quite reasonable with bill actually less than estimate given when appointment was made. All the folks I talked with were quite helpful and answered a slew of questions only a rookie O/O would ask.

So any future work or inspections will be done by a Yancey Brothers shop or another certified CAT shop unless circumstances won’t allow.

It was suggestions by a member of EO that in future make a point to be there when inspection is being conducted. Being there one can head off some unnecessary costs by performing minor tasks instead of paying labor rate for shop person to do same. Have the ability to talk with inspector developing a rapport. Along those lines find an inspector that you feel comfortable with their work and use that person regularly.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Congrats. Sounds like you have it scalded. Just don't get cold feet this time, when they have the title wavin under your nose.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like a really good deal. Makes me miss my old truck.
good luck. I hope everything works out well at Landstar.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Larry Foster I had not posted anything about our previous business agreement and had no plans to do so until you posted you remarks yesterday.

x06col you have the facts skewed.

Last summer I e-mailed you concerning your EO add selling Argosy your response asked if I wanted to buy Foster Trucking as you were tired of the entire BS and you wanted out of the business. We talked back and forth numerous times and it was decided I would drive to your home in Greensburg, IN and stay there as your guest and begin to learn the business.

We agreed on price for Argosy and Foster Trucking authority and payment schedule. The curtainside your son-in-law drove would remain owned by you leased to Foster Trucking receiving not the customary 75% but 85% of load as a favor to you and the fact that your son-in-law would locate vast majority of his loads. During this time you listed Argosy for sale in Truckpapers.com and Truckpaper newspaper. When I asked you why you would do this as we had agreed I was already buying Argosy? You said it would draw more people and we may get chance to add additional O/O and drivers to Foster Trucking. Like waving a carrot under the horse’s nose. I shrugged this off taking you at your word. Over a 3 week period I learned many facets of owning ones authority and realized this would be a long process. I enjoyed the company of you and your wife and I took you your wife, daughter, son-in-law and grandson to dinner and on several occasions bought groceries, cigarettes and beer for you as a token of my gratitude for your hospitality. I was very excited about the prospect of owning my own authority and took meticulous notes about our conversations and business procedures. It was a happy period in my life.

We were attending the Expediters Expo and shortly after Expo I would return home to attend my daughter wedding then return September 15 to finalize transaction and stay an additional 3 months as your guest learning more about the business. You had agreed you would be available after that time to assist when needed. You & your wife were planning to take your RV and tour the US in style. While at the Expo I talked with many drivers and O/O about coming on board with Foster Trucking. One prospect I spoke to drove for DJ Trucking who had approximately 40 trucks with several carriers and they may be interested in coming on board with Foster Trucking. I was deeply concerned about bringing on that many trucks right away so I asked if you would talk to DJ Trucking as I was unsure what to say and as yet didn’t know enough to speak with them about business. I left to talk with more prospects as well as enjoy company of the folks hanging out and visiting displays while you called DJ Trucking. Later that day you said there will be further conversations with them and the prospect was good they would be coming on board. You said it was best if you handled future contacts with DJ Trucking and once again I took you at your word. You mentioned I hit a homerun here with these folks coming on board but I was still very skeptical of an influx of that number so soon. You said there was ways of doing it that would soften the large number coming aboard. We would have many conversations over the next weeks about developing such a plan.

The Argosy was parked in your driveway as team had been let go as they weren’t being productive and made several poor business decisions costing you substantial revenue. We spoke about letting them go and you had agreed so when they arrived at your house I told them they were released as you were in town on business or running errands. I purchased more than $100.00 in equipment and supplies for Argosy and placed them in truck which I had cleaned and straightened out existing gear threw away a lot of junk and debris that had accumulated from previous teams plus caulked sections of box roof. While cleaning Argosy an illegal substance was located in sleeper area left behind by a member of the dismissed team. Luckily they were terminated or an ugly situation could have occurred if when stopped by police or DOT and substance was located. I shutter to think of the consequences.

It was understood that both of us would search for a new team and before leaving we had spoken to several prospects including one that came to visit us at your home on pretense you would sell this person the Argosy. When he arrived he was told to come onboard as a driver as part of Argosy team with another former Foster Trucking driver you knew. As it turned out neither driver came on board.

For weeks we talked what I was going to do with Argosy and business so the day I was leaving your home for mine in NJ you signed over the title of the Argosy to me and gave it to me. We had agreed I would take title back to NJ become incorporated set up necessary accounts and forward the agreed price back to you. During this time both of us would search for new team for Argosy and you had even mentioned you may take it on the road and make runs. As I loaded the last of my gear in my vehicle you pulled me aside and said your wife was very uncomfortable with the fact I wasn’t paying for truck right away. Several years ago someone apparently stole $50,000.00 from you folks and she was concerned it may happen again. We had talked about giving me title several times before I left for NJ so I was confused why the change in plans at the last minute? Not to cause problems at home for you I agreed to give back the title and send check after accounts were set up as we had previously agreed upon.

Two weeks or so go by and we were having regular conversations concerning what I was going to do when I returned. Then I get a phone call from Dave Manley the D in DJ Trucking saying he overhead you talking to me about my plans when I returned in September. This occurred as you were visiting DJ Trucking at their office in Perrysburg, OH finalizing sale to them. Dave Manley told me when he first talked with you during Expo you made them an offer to purchase Foster Trucking authority and equipment and that he and his father had had many conversations concerning purchase of Foster Trucking with you.

Dave apologized and said if he had known I was already in process of buying Foster Trucking he would never had proceeded. I told him it was obvious I was finished with Foster Trucking and wished them luck dealing with you.

DJ Trucking owners met with you a few days after I left your home and began process to purchase Foster Trucking. You traveled to there business office in Perrysburg, Ohio and continued to work on process. They signed on a few trucks with Foster Trucking to learn the system. I was told by several people you sold Argosy to some person in California to be destroyed in a movie? You did sell it but to whom and what was going to happen to it who know what is the truth? Or better yet who cares.

I called you and asked why were you deceitful when dealing with me and why couldn’t you had been honest and forthright. If you wanted to sell the Argosy and or Foster Trucking to another please let me know upfront that is all I ask. You were silent and even though I was upset I wished the best in you life and truly hope you got everything you needed in life. To this day I truly feel the same.

Further phone calls with Dave Manley revealed that DJ Trucking weren’t getting properly paid for services they preformed as agreed upon with you and they severed business ties with Foster Trucking.

I noticed you once again have Foster Trucking up for sale.

GREAT OPPORTUNITY: Small Expedite Company For Sale
Checklist Status
Modify This EO Ad
Delete This EO Ad
Alert Admin
Page Views: 440
Replies Received: 13
Expires On: 12/11/2006
EO Ad Information

Category: Business Opportunity

Ad Number: 7486

Date Posted: 11/11/2006

Truck Preference:

Text of Ad

Expedite Company For Sale With or Without Equipment. Interested?? Reply by EO Below
Contact Information

Name: Larry Foster
Street Address:
City: Greensburg
State/Province: Indiana
Zip/Postal Code: 47240
Telephone Number:
E-Mail Address: Reply to EO Ad

Here is your post from yesterday:

x06col
Charter Member
450 posts
8 feedbacks
7 points
33. "RE: Almost ready to head out"
Dec-28-06, 10:18 PM (EST)
In response to message #32

Congrats. Sounds like you have it scalded. Just don't get cold feet this time, when they have the title wavin under your nose.

You said; “Just don't get cold feet this time, when they have the title wavin under your nose.â€

That was not the case with the Argosy at all and you know that to be the truth.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There is quite a bit in the post from John to "the Colonel" that I cannot attest to, but: I spoke to John at the Expo last July, and several times afterwards, and can attest that nothing he has posted varies in the slightest from what he said at the time. I believe John O is a man of integrity, and Landstar will be as fortunate to have him as I feel EO is.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have also had numerous conversations with John as late as yesterday and what he has posted re his problems was told to me several times. I also have no doubt as to his integrity.

This was an unfortunate situation that never should have happened.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I had to re-read the post that John was so kind to put up about his problems.

Well I don’t know John or X06COL so I don’t know what went on, please don’t take this personal.

When I bought and sold a couple businesses, I had my lawyer write up a letter of intent to purchase. What this did was locking in the deal after some of the negotiations took place, and also had in there a no BS clause that if one of us pulled out for no valid reason; we have to pay travel expenses for all involved. In the case of one business I was buying out, if I pulled out, I would have owed about $30, maybe $40K to cover everything. Needless to say the other party pulled out due to legal problems within the company and no one owed anything.

Again not passing judgment on anyone but just wanted to point this out – in business act as if it is all about business, don’t get personal and don’t take things personal. Don’t go to dinner, don’t meet the family and so on.

Congrats John on the purchase and hope you do well.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>A Team wow did I hit a nerve. You flatter yourself thinking
>that my post to JohnO somehow involved you. There are many
>Teams in this industry and John knows the story about the
>pie in the sky scheme and believe me you did not come up on
>the radar screen. The expediting world does not revolve
>around you.

Re-read my post, Rich. I did not say you were talking about me. I asked you to identify the team in question and their sins. I am a clear writer. If I meant to say you were talking about me, I would have said exactly that.