Not open for further replies.

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
Welcome to our world.

the administration fee is for what?

Was there a breakdown?

Breakdown Assistance?

You expect them to do this for free?

well i think it is total BS, lets see i pay out $165 a week to them, put $900 in their account, wait 3 weeks to get paid, supply the vehicle, have their company name on my van, run my *** of for 77 cents a mile, it makes much more sense to drive for a company in a company vehicle, or run under your own authority, what you pay for is a broker, a load board, thats all they have to offer, if you give it some thought, its a great idea, its a win win situation for the company, the driver o/o takes all the risk, all the expense, so i have no problem with it, but i will not play that game, i feel very sorry for the people who take the time and expense to come all the way here only to find out they wont make any money for at least 4 weeks, in fact they will be parting with allot of money up front, i can not believe that all companies work in this way, anyway, good luck to you all, and as for All State Express and others who operate in this way, see ya!!!
To the people on here, its been a pleasure meeting you all, a great bunch of hard working people, a great post on here somewhere said " you need to know the right questions to ask before you decide to go with a company" that is where i failed.
Anyway, time for a vacation, i think ill convert my van into a camper :)

Rich

Last edited:

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
brycey2010 wrote

I would like to add to that if you dont mind, after having completed my first day in orientation.

to add too and clarify your calculations,
$900 escrow deducted $60 a week
$50 a week for administrative charges total $200
$35 a week insurance (workmans comp)
$20 a week insurance non trucking liability
cash advance costing $25 per advance
here is the kicker, 3 weeks till 1st pay check!!
so you pay out around $165 a week, add gas for 3 weeks @ 2000 miles a week = $400 a week, plus other expenses

by the time you get your 1st paycheck you have already laid out more than $2000, i know in time you will make it up and as long as the miles are there, however how many people can wait that long and survive? why should anyone wait 3 weeks before getting paid with so many outgoings? the reason is, 1. they can get away with it, 2. they do not have the cash flow to pay their drivers any sooner due to them waiting to get paid.

lets look at their their website?

Fuel Card with Discount Program/
comcheck costing $3.50 per transaction for gas engines

Weekly Settlements with Direct Deposit/
after 3 weeks of no pay

No Upfront Cost/
i think i covered that, however there is the $45 drug test fee, no hotel provided for orientation, no pay for orientation, no help with travel to orientation.

Breakdown Assistance/
off course thats not free either

the people, yes friendly and nice people'

in summary, typical orientation, mostly covering the same stuff you get in all orientations in this field of work, my main worry is, our success is based on good miles, you have no idea how much this will be until you get out and do it, if you dont have enough money saved up in advance then you may well not last the first month, what could help this? an upfront letter explaining all this before you go to orientation, 1st paycheck after 2nd week.

should i be writing this after my 1st day of orientation, sure i should, there are allot of people who can not afford to start this job, they need to know before they spend their hard earned money getting here, and for the people who can afford to start this job, it may or may not be a good business, its all down to getting enough miles to cover the costs and running your business efficiently, could i loose this work opportunity, maybe, am i gonna give it a go? not sure, it doesn't feel right, right now.

To be fair, this is the 1st company i have been to orientation with in expediting since 2001, maybe this is all normal across the board?

and lastly

Guido should get a referral, as he is the only driver working for them i have seen comment for them on here.

I did write this earlier, then decided to think a little more before posting, i guess Dave had other ideas, and posted this for me, what goes around comes around Dave....

guido4475

Not a Member
brycey2010 wrote

I would like to add to that if you dont mind, after having completed my first day in orientation.

to add too and clarify your calculations,
$900 escrow deducted $60 a week
$50 a week for administrative charges total $200
$35 a week insurance (workmans comp)
$20 a week insurance non trucking liability
cash advance costing $25 per advance
here is the kicker, 3 weeks till 1st pay check!!
so you pay out around $165 a week, add gas for 3 weeks @ 2000 miles a week = $400 a week, plus other expenses

by the time you get your 1st paycheck you have already laid out more than $2000, i know in time you will make it up and as long as the miles are there, however how many people can wait that long and survive? why should anyone wait 3 weeks before getting paid with so many outgoings? the reason is, 1. they can get away with it, 2. they do not have the cash flow to pay their drivers any sooner due to them waiting to get paid.

lets look at their their website?

Fuel Card with Discount Program/
comcheck costing $3.50 per transaction for gas engines

Weekly Settlements with Direct Deposit/
after 3 weeks of no pay

No Upfront Cost/
i think i covered that, however there is the $45 drug test fee, no hotel provided for orientation, no pay for orientation, no help with travel to orientation.

Breakdown Assistance/
off course thats not free either

the people, yes friendly and nice people'

in summary, typical orientation, mostly covering the same stuff you get in all orientations in this field of work, my main worry is, our success is based on good miles, you have no idea how much this will be until you get out and do it, if you dont have enough money saved up in advance then you may well not last the first month, what could help this? an upfront letter explaining all this before you go to orientation, 1st paycheck after 2nd week.

should i be writing this after my 1st day of orientation, sure i should, there are allot of people who can not afford to start this job, they need to know before they spend their hard earned money getting here, and for the people who can afford to start this job, it may or may not be a good business, its all down to getting enough miles to cover the costs and running your business efficiently, could i loose this work opportunity, maybe, am i gonna give it a go? not sure, it doesn't feel right, right now.

To be fair, this is the 1st company i have been to orientation with in expediting since 2001, maybe this is all normal across the board?

and lastly

Guido should get a referral, as he is the only driver working for them i have seen comment for them on here.

===========================================
I guess that explains the Utube links

First of all, thank you for the compliment.I try my best to be fair and open minded towards everything, and I think there have been a few times I have admitted to not agreeing to everything they do.But no company is perfect, either.And it still works regardless.I never expected to make this amount of $$ in a van when I came out of a s/t.

I hate to say this, but I didnt see the quallcomm deduction in the list...

The fuel card- the deduction as far as I know applies to diesel purchases, and, in most cases, the fuel discount is more than the 3.50 charge per use when added up for a total number in any given week, so that evens itself out.I have a diesel, so the gas thing is new to me, also.In time,it may be a good idea to get a gas card or a credit card to cover these purchases, depending on youre finacial situation.Sorry this wasnt what you have expected for the gas card, but it is called a fuel card, right? ASE using the fuel card must be a new thing, because it wasnt available when I started, and it influenced me on the purchase of a diesel van.

What is with the non-trucking liability insurance? I have my own, along with the physical damage combined.This must be something new, but I dont know the whole situation, either, just what you have put on here.

The only company I know of to provide lodging during orientation is Landstar.But our oriention is only one day long, as far as I know.Help with travel expenses to orientation? Let me know when you find a carrier to do that,please.

I know the deductions can be a little troubling at first, but alot of them are only temporary.Take the loads, dont take youre frustration out on the dispatchers,be on time, p/u and del'g,and you'll do fine.Oh, dont forget to get youre paperwork in on time.Ask the shipper if at all possible, if you can leave with 3 copies of the bill of lading.One for you, signed at the delivery, one for ASE, signed also.,and the third for the consignee.Put the pro # and youre truck # on the upper right hand corner also, on all copies.And write SLC/STC on all copies of the BOL'S as well, to cover yours and ASE'S butt.

I hope this helps a little, anyway.Take care, and good luck.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
First of all, thank you for the compliment.I try my best to be fair and open minded towards everything, and I think there have been a few times I have admitted to not agreeing to everything they do.But no company is perfect, either.And it still works regardless.I never expected to make this amount of $$ in a van when I came out of a s/t.

The fuel card- the deduction as far as I know applies to diesel purchases, and, in most cases, the fuel discount is more than the 3.50 charge per use when added up for a total number in any given week, so that evens itself out.I have a diesel, so the gas thing is new to me, also.In time,it may be a good idea to get a gas card or a credit card to cover these purchases, depending on youre finacial situation.Sorry this wasnt what you have expected for the gas card, but it is called a fuel card, right? ASE using the fuel card must be a new thing, because it wasnt available when I started, and it influenced me on the purchase of a diesel van.

What is with the non-trucking liability insurance? I have my own, along with the physical damage combined.This must be something new, but I dont know the whole situation, either, just what you have put on here.

The only company I know of to provide lodging during orientation is Landstar.But our oriention is only one day long, as far as I know.Help with travel expenses to orientation? Let me know when you find a carrier to do that,please.

I know the deductions can be a little troubling at first, but alot of them are only temporary.Take the loads, dont take youre frustration out on the dispatchers,be on time, p/u and del'g,and you'll do fine.Oh, dont forget to get youre paperwork in on time.Ask the shipper if at all possible, if you can leave with 3 copies of the bill of lading.One for you, signed at the delivery, one for ASE, signed also.,and the third for the consignee.Put the pro # and youre truck # on the upper right hand corner also, on all copies.And write SLC/STC on all copies of the BOL'S as well, to cover yours and ASE'S butt.

I understand everything except the 200 for administration fee! What is $200 admin fee?

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter

Hi Guido, i may have named the insurance wrong, im talking about the insurance i would purchase separate to the insurance provided, i do not have a problem with that, i think the collective amount of money the driver pays out along with all the regular expenses, gas, maintenance, food etc, is to much to ask from a new driver taking into account that you wont start seeing money for at least 4 weeks, im lucky i can afford it, i just do not agree with the principal, i asked my Nurse girlfriend today, if you had your pay delayed because the patient did not pay the bill quick enough, would you accept that from the hospital, off course not she answered, these companies make money from us the drivers, i have never heard of waiting 3 weeks to get paid, if im expected to put up with that, then ill cut out the middle man, and make the wait worthwhile.

guido4475

Not a Member
Hi Guido, i may have named the insurance wrong, im talking about the insurance i would purchase separate to the insurance provided, i do not have a problem with that, i think the collective amount of money the driver pays out along with all the regular expenses, gas, maintenance, food etc, is to much to ask from a new driver taking into account that you wont start seeing money for at least 4 weeks, im lucky i can afford it, i just do not agree with the principal, i asked my Nurse girlfriend today, if you had your pay delayed because the patient did not pay the bill quick enough, would you accept that from the hospital, off course not she answered, these companies make money from us the drivers, i have never heard of waiting 3 weeks to get paid, if im expected to put up with that, then ill cut out the middle man, and make the wait worthwhile.

You still have me lost on the insurance thing.Where are you getting 4 weeks from?If you think waiting 3-4 weeks is bad, try waiting 30,60,90 days to get paid.Unless you use a factoring service,but that is another topic in itself.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
it is admin charges, processing paperwork, not a big deal, its the big picture that bothers me.

Sorry about that. I didn't see that it was deleted after it was posted. I was on my phone at the time.

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
You still have me lost on the insurance thing.Where are you getting 4 weeks from?If you think waiting 3-4 weeks is bad, try waiting 30,60,90 days to get paid.Unless you use a factoring service,but that is another topic in itself.[/QUO

if you dont get paid for 3 weeks you need to use that 1st paycheck to recover the , are you messing with me, or just plain ignorant!!!

i just thought, i could fit allot of pizza's in my van?

Anyway i will go into ASE in the morning and explain why i would not want to sign on with them, ive driven 650 miles to get here, 2 nights in a hotel, i have something to say!!!

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
You still have me lost on the insurance thing.Where are you getting 4 weeks from?If you think waiting 3-4 weeks is bad, try waiting 30,60,90 days to get paid.Unless you use a factoring service,but that is another topic in itself.[/QUO

if you dont get paid for 3 weeks you need to use that 1st paycheck to recover the , are you messing with me, or just plain ignorant!!!

Anyway i will go into ASE in the morning and explain why i would not want to sign on with them, ive driven 650 miles to get here, 2 nights in a hotel, i have something to say!!!

Why are you flipping out? All I asked was a few questions, not messing with you.Control youre temper.Maybe you should of researched this a little more before going back into the business.I understand youre frustration,but having a temper tantrum is not going to resolve things in a positive manner, either.

brycey2010

Seasoned Expediter
Why are you flipping out? All I asked was a few questions, not messing with you.Control youre temper.Maybe you should of researched this a little more before going back into the business.I understand youre frustration,but having a temper tantrum is not going to resolve things in a positive manner, either.

i thought it was pretty simple to see if you dont get paid for 3 weeks, that your first and maybe second paycheck would be used up in paying your expenses for the first 3 weeks, so really your not making money for at least a month, thats a tall order for many people.

i have nothing to resolve, its just frustrating to have to state the obvious.

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Call Adam at Panther up or Brian up at Load1.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They aren't the only company with the 3 week cycle, but the others I know of that have it, have it in lieu of an escrow. Both is a bit much. So, it sounds like they didn't give you the list of deductions until they had you up there. I can see why that would leave a bad taste in your mouth. There are companies that make it a point to get the bad stuff out of the way first and it makes you feel like your dealing with more, ahh, open people.

I'm trying to figure out what the appropriate U2 tune would be here... LOL...

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't see what the problem is here. I started at Bolt with just 1200 dollars in my pocket and part of that money was spent on fuel to get up to orientation in Ohio. You might need to take a coupke of advances for your first month or two, but then your deductions are paid off and you should have a decent amount of cash saved up in the bank. I also once startred at Panther with a mere 400 dollars in my pocket and grossed 15k in under 3 months.

You will make money out here, you just got to get yourself established first. Most companies charge for Qualcomm, Personal Injury Insurance, Bobtail Insurance. Also thar 200 dollar administrative fee is low compared to some companies like Panther who charge an administrative fee along with Decan and Qualcomm installation fee. They also charge for the drug test and DOT physical, they just take it out of your weekly settlement instead of making you pay for it up front. This is pretty much standard operatring procedure at most major "reputable" expedite carriers.

guido4475

Not a Member
I don't see what the problem is here. I started at Bolt with just 1200 dollars in my pocket and part of that money was spent on fuel to get up to orientation in Ohio. You might need to take a coupke of advances for your first month or two, but then your deductions are paid off and you should have a decent amount of cash saved up in the bank. I also once startred at Panther with a mere 400 dollars in my pocket and grossed 15k in under 3 months.

You will make money out here, you just got to get yourself established first. Most companies charge for Qualcomm, Personal Injury Insurance, Bobtail Insurance. Also thar 200 dollar administrative fee is low compared to some companies like Panther who charge an administrative fee along with Decan and Qualcomm installation fee. They also charge for the drug test and DOT physical, they just take it out of your weekly settlement instead of making you pay for it up front. This is pretty much standard operatring procedure at most major "reputable" expedite carriers.

Thanks, Blizzard, for clearing the air..Appreciatte it alot.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
We all know Load-One is a class act, and a good choice at that, with alot of happy and content drivers there.But, Panther? Geez, I thought you are on here trying to help drivers..lol.

Whats your problem with Panther? I like Panther. Panther offer some loads with 1$ per mile. When did you run for ASE for a buck per mile? I think never! The insurance cost is half at Panther . No 200 per year ''admin fee'. ETc.etc. So please don't compare your small company to Panther ,Fedex , etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.