October Locations And Other Chit Chat

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Teammate for 29 years, hitting the road for the first time :) . PA to MI this afternoon...
12122422_968286796543142_7033248550360801126_n.jpg

Welcome better half!!!......:p

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
XMUDMAN describing his planned up-fit made me think.

My 3500 Transit with (2) bunks, flooring, walls, narrow shelves, roof AC, generator, small refer, supplies, fuel and co-pilot now weighs an incredible 7400#. How does that compare with some of y'all if you care to share?

Also, any thoughts on beefing it up to get more GVW

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
You bettcha.....it takes a lot of will power to just say NO....especially to 1400-1700 miles..I've learned it isn't so hard after all....I just can not do those long ones anymore for health reasons as well.....1500 miles direct is so unhealthy....even with a short nap in there...

I really like seeing the 500-1000 mile loads. Eapecially earlier in the day. I think every driver likes the "limited traffic" of dark driving. But dark driving comes with its own set of dangers. Especially antlers.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
XMUDMAN describing his planned up-fit made me think.

My 3500 Transit with (2) bunks, flooring, walls, narrow shelves, roof AC, generator, small refer, supplies, fuel and co-pilot now weighs an incredible 7400#. How does that compare with some of y'all if you care to share?

Also, any thoughts on beefing it up to get more GVW
You can't get more gvwr no matter what you do.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I really like seeing the 500-1000 mile loads. Eapecially earlier in the day. I think every driver likes the "limited traffic" of dark driving. But dark driving comes with its own set of dangers. Especially antlers.

Running the 1500 milers is definitely not that good for ones health, but doing them once a month isn't really that bad as long as you have time for a four hour nap in there. I would do 1k miles straight, then take the four hour break, then finish up the other 500 miles. After I deliver, I'm out of services for 24 hours in a hotel room. I can't do those kinds of loads back to back. I prefer the thousand milers with 24 hours on them. I still take a day off in between. Sometimes I am so tired from driving so long that it turns into insomnia. But to make 1300-1400 dollars in a day and a half is a good motivational tool. I need to try doing this with medical issues before I can comment any further though. You did good Ken. The young expediter came out of you for one last long ride lol!

Reactions: Murraycroexp

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I did two back to back 900 mile loads once and it was hell. I had to sleep for four hours on the second load because I was in the condition of a drunk driver. Then being my bad arse expediter die hard self, I drove 10 MPH over the posted speed limit for 8 hours straight to make up the time. I went from being four hours behind to delivering an hour early. That is when that particular carrier realized that when I say I will be somewhere at a certain time, the load will be there. And before you bash me for being unsafe, that company begged and begged me to take that load, and they knew I was going t have to take a 4 hour break after I picked up the load. I just couldn't let the load be late when the maintenance department was waiting for the parts.

I once had Bolt call me on a 1100 mile load because I took a four hour break. I told them I would be delivering two hours early and to stop looking at the red box on fleet vision. I was headed into a state with a 75 mile an hour speed limit and I set the cruise on 80 MPH. The load was delivered exactly 2 hours early. That fancy dispatch software can't outsmart a good dedicated well seasoned driver.