Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A reminder to everyone: if you accidentally put def in the cooling system FLUSH THE WHOLE SYSTEM RIGHT NOW!

Someone just got warranty denied. Ive never seen an injector cup dissolve and disappear.

Don't mix different coolants together, either.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about what coolant you run, but pick one and stick with it! Don't allow anyone to top it off with whatever they have laying around, either.

Hino's pink and blue coolants are not compatible with each other.

The pink is good for 300,000 miles, blue for 600,000.

The injector cup doesn't exist anymore! Gone! Coolant in oil, oil in coolant, exhaust gases in coolant. Bearing damage. All of that is bad, but wait, there's more! As coolant was pouring into the exhaust, it wiped out the turbo, then it poisoned the scr catalyst. Those two components add up to around $8000.

Hino injector cups are generally pretty stout, with the occasional one leaking a bit.

This reminds me of the thread over on the truckers report forum of a guy who thought he was going to be fired for using his defrosters too much because he thought he was using too much DEF fluid.

Maybe that is what happened here, his windshield wasn't clearing up fast enough and thought he had to add some defrost fluid.....And people wonder why the term "steering wheel holder" was invented.....

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
This reminds me of the thread over on the truckers report forum of a guy who thought he was going to be fired for using his defrosters too much because he thought he was using too much DEF fluid.

Maybe that is what happened here, his windshield wasn't clearing up fast enough and thought he had to add some defrost fluid.....And people wonder why the term "steering wheel holder" was invented.....
Certainly a possibility. In this case there's a language barrier that's become a huge hinderance.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
2014 Isuzu and Cummins engine the Isuzu code is 4jj1

The best piece of advice I can give is to abandon this idea completely and instead buy a truck that meets your needs.

With that out of the way...
Not familiar with that Cummins, but Isuzu shouldnt have many packaging problems. Consider using trans too, this will keep you from running into programming hurdles. Youre going to NEED complete wiring diagrams. You will also need to keep the scr system intact if you use the isuzu ecm, it will be useless without it.

Expect high costs of custom fabrication. Engine and transmission mounts. Custom driveshaft. Possible gear ratio problems. Issues finding a shop willing to repair.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Cold weather challenges: I talked someone through unfreezing their air dryer yesterday. The dessicant filter may have been original and was not getting water out of the system. Id strongly consider replacing the dryer filter/ dessicant cartrige annually, preferably just before cold weather hits.

The purge valves are supposed to pop off, followed by an air purge of decreasing quantity for 20-30 seconds. If this is not happening, replace the filter and purge valve.

Some early trucks have Nabasco (sp?) dryer/governor that are expensive and hard to service. Consider replacing it with a Bendix AD-9 and Bendix governor (equivalent to a Hino that already came with a stand-alone Bendix governor). Get the dryer kit with brackets, aftermarket dryers are fine, you can get this kit from napa/truckpro/wherever. Youll have to drill a couple of holes. The steel line from the compressor can be bent enough to use with no other mods. If possible, get the one with the heater built in.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Unfreezing that truck involved removing the filter, pouring brake line antifreeze (methanol) into the air dryer's ports, and some in the filter. Fixed it right up.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The newest trucks come with a Bendix AD-IP dryer, which has a stand-alone Bendix governor bolted to the side. These are easy. The filter spins onto the top. After draining the air tanks and purge reservoir on the dryer, you can easily replace the purge valve assembly with a pair of snap ring pliers. If the air tanks aren't drained, it will enthusiastically remove the purge valve for you the instant that snap ring is removed.

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver
Was asking the proper tool to use to adjust headlights on a 07 338. Thought about using a ratchet box end to turn the adjustment nut.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
What I hate most about winter is bringing snow-covered trucks into the shop and watching them piss 20 gallons of water onto the floor as it melts.

Shop floor was a foul olympic pool this morning.

The new guy needs to learn to jack the front high into the air and set on jackstands so the water pours out near the shops doors and goes into the parking lot.

The only problem there is the Olympic skating rink that forms in the parking lot.

bigfish4422

New Recruit
Driver
I run a 2013 268, has a PTO which is used to run a high powered winch. The problem I am running into, and the dealership that the truck was bought from cannot come up with any answers on this, is while the PTO is engaged the truck frequently goes from approximately 600 rpms to around 900 rpms. This little rpm jump makes controlling the winch quite difficult. It will do this for around 30 minutes, then idle back down, and after around 30 minutes it will idle back up, and do this consistently through the entire job. Can anything be done about this? Do you know why it is doing it? I would at least like to have a little understanding as to why it is doing it and what purpose it is serving. Thanks for any info you can provide.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I run a 2013 268, has a PTO which is used to run a high powered winch. The problem I am running into, and the dealership that the truck was bought from cannot come up with any answers on this, is while the PTO is engaged the truck frequently goes from approximately 600 rpms to around 900 rpms. This little rpm jump makes controlling the winch quite difficult. It will do this for around 30 minutes, then idle back down, and after around 30 minutes it will idle back up, and do this consistently through the entire job. Can anything be done about this? Do you know why it is doing it? I would at least like to have a little understanding as to why it is doing it and what purpose it is serving. Thanks for any info you can provide.
If the exhaust brake comes on when it ramps up, it's entering 'white smoke prevention mode'. This can be turned off in the ecu customization menus.

The ecu has a provision to recognise when a pto is activated. You can have it ramp immediately to a specific rpm and provide all the power it's capable of at that rpm. This involves about 1.5-2.0 hours of wiring stuff up and customizing ecm. Idle speed is gonna make pto horsepower suffer. Generally the engine speed is set to nearly pto max rated speed for faster and more powerful implement response. The rollback guys love this.

Hooking the pto to the ecu also allows stuff like stationary automatic regens at any engine speed with pto on. You will eventually run into regen issues if you are doing hours of stationery pto work, and you shouldn't attempt manual regens with the pto on and engine under load.

Chevy_boy321

New Recruit
Mechanic
Hey greasytshirt I am in a bind with my 08' hino 145 with a 4.7l 4 cyl dealer just replaced intercooler and turbo and dpf muffler I'm having a issue after you drive truck for 5 mins the check eng light comes on with a. P0087 fuel rail low pressure codes. Noticed that filter was missing from crankcase vent chamber and am at a loss right now.. New fuel filter was put on and fuel tank is cleaned also replaced fuel rail pressure sensor and still have the same issue dealer could not fix it and gotta have this truck going for my fleet any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.