How common is overloading vans and Sprinters?

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I just saw a 4500 lb load posted for a Sprinter, so I decided to email the company who had it listed to see if the vehicle type had been selected by accident, because we have a straight truck in the area and would have liked to do the load. I got an email back from someone who said that they had Sprinters that could haul 5000 lbs.

Well, if you go with a 3500, you might be able to get a bit more weight than you can in a 2500, but 5000 seems a bit excessive to me. It also strikes me that if enough people are doing this, it could have a negative effect on rates for smaller straight trucks, at least on the brokered bid board freight. Now it has me wondering if that's why we lose bids on 5000 lb loads and we're told that the low bid is around $1.35 all in.

I'm just wondering how common is it for Sprinters to be overloaded this much and is there really anything that can be done about it. Part of me thinks that making them go through the scales would work, but we had that discussion on here a few months ago and it seems like it would be a nightmare with all of the Sprinters and vans out there not used for freight hauling. It would be hard to get the freight hauling ones through the scales without inconveniencing the plumbers and individuals who own them.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All classes of trucks have those who will run heavy.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It should be all for hire vehicles.
There's not enough of them causing havoc yet.
If ( when ) a grossly overloaded/ fatiqued $printer has a high profile wreck ( train, bus, hazmat tanker involved) people will begin to notice.
You all need to police your own, but greed is too prevalent.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The most I generally like hauling in my 06 sprinter is about 2-2500 lbs. I one time did haul a 3300 lb load across Tennessee but most of my loads have been in the 1k range give or take. A buddy of mine said he took over 4k once in his 05 sprinter. If you go much heavier the mudflaps start hitting the pavement!

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Yeah, a high profile crash would do it, but I'd rather not see someone have to die. Also, I don't want us to be the carrier that happens to. I don't want to imagine the lawsuits.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Hauling trucks, I needed to back out of a dealership with a large TT unit.
I asked two people, both replied they were not allowed to help.
I found the floor manager and informed him that in the event of an accident, he would probably be seated very near me in court, sharing some responsibility.
The help I needed arrived promptly.

As a young child, I remember my father talking of a lawsuit. In addition to the carrier, the truck, trailer, fifth wheel manufacturer were all sued. If you can get a little money here, a little money there, it'll add up.

All that can be done is educate shippers that if you overload the vehicle, you'll share responsibility.
Some won't care.
The smart ones will.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I just saw a 4500 lb load posted for a Sprinter, so I decided to email the company who had it listed to see if the vehicle type had been selected by accident, because we have a straight truck in the area and would have liked to do the load. I got an email back from someone who said that they had Sprinters that could haul 5000 lbs.

Well, if you go with a 3500, you might be able to get a bit more weight than you can in a 2500, but 5000 seems a bit excessive to me. It also strikes me that if enough people are doing this, it could have a negative effect on rates for smaller straight trucks, at least on the brokered bid board freight. Now it has me wondering if that's why we lose bids on 5000 lb loads and we're told that the low bid is around $1.35 all in.

I'm just wondering how common is it for Sprinters to be overloaded this much and is there really anything that can be done about it. Part of me thinks that making them go through the scales would work, but we had that discussion on here a few months ago and it seems like it would be a nightmare with all of the Sprinters and vans out there not used for freight hauling. It would be hard to get the freight hauling ones through the scales without inconveniencing the plumbers and individuals who own them.

That's why I'm not messing around with sprinters anymore. My new company is going to be a "big truck" company like yours. I think that with all of the games that go on with the vans it is a waste of time to take on more than 10 cargo vans. The straight trucks are where the money is at and you generally don't have to overload them to get a decent rate.

But tose ***Need Large Sprinter*** on the load notes when they post a 4500 pound load is absolutely hilarious. And don't think that just because you are a broker that you can't be sued for overloading a truck or making a truck run illegal logs. Please read the article below.

Trucking Along: Impact of Sperl v. CH Robinson Worldwide inc. on Broker's Vicarious Liability for Trucking Driver's Negligence

CH Robinson was charged with neglegence because they impose fines on carriers if loads are delivered late. So apparently this driver drove tired and illegal in order to avoid a rate reduction on the load for failing to meet the delivery time on the rate confirmation sheet. I guess the same can be said for a broker that loads down a sprinter with a "4500" pound load. Come on now, it's not like these brokers are ignorant. I hope this type of practice comes to an end before someone ges hurt.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drove a 2500 Sprinter. One day, I took it across a CAT scale just to see what I could do with it. Given what I already had on board, which wasn't much, my allowable payload came to just shy of 3,000, of which slightly more than 2,500 could ride the rear axle.

A 3500 will be able to handle more, of course, but--- 4,500 to 5,000 is pushing your luck big time. Your springs have to carry that weight, the tires have to support it and of course sooner or later your brakes have to stop it.

I wouldn't want any less than a 3500 with the dual tires in the rear for that kind of weight. You're fooling yourself if you try it in anything much less than that. Even then, it's more of a gamble than I want to take. It's only a machine, push it too hard and it'll break.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Blizz, there are over 30 5 star carriers advertising on the site today.

You can do as you wish, but do we really need more big trucks ?

Can you re-invent the wheel ? What can you offer, other than low price, to get up and running ?

I wish you all the luck in the world, cause you're one of us, but increased
Competition helps only the shipper.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you over load your asking for trouble
hard on engine
tranmission and springs etc
more cost for repair

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Overloading of the sprinters will take of itself. They wont carry very many 4500 lb loads before it breaks...and at $1.35/mi to the carrier, there wont be any money to fix it...so it'll be toast. The problem is that those loads are not likely going on a Sprinter. They're going on the yellow cube duallies most likely. That segment of the industry needs a really, really rough enema.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Blizz, there are over 30 5 star carriers advertising on the site today.

You can do as you wish, but do we really need more big trucks ?

Can you re-invent the wheel ? What can you offer, other than low price, to get up and running ?

I wish you all the luck in the world, cause you're one of us, but increased
Competition helps only the shipper.

If I get a big truck company started and I already have contacts to move trailers for JB Hunt and to move loads from CH Robinson at whatever rate they have them posted for how is that lowering the rate? I already said in the post above that you don't have to cut the rates on Straight Trucks to get decent loads. There is more work for straights. So you guys are opposed to any new company? lol. I guess you guys will be happy when I get the Obama disability check instead. I never had to go low to get loads. It is all about customer service and your reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Ok. As long as you have your act together, you got my permission.
LOL.

The last time my family started a company there was regulation. We had to prove there was a need for our service.
And where the competition could prove they could provide the needed service, we didn't get that geographical authority.
Boy, have the times changed.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
That JB Hunt drop and hook junk is way too cheap. You get someone to lease on with a tractor you're better off leasing or renting a trailer, or buying one outright if you can afford it. We have a couple tractors now and we've been able to run them pretty good. You'll make back what you spend on the trailer no problem.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
If I get a big truck company started and I already have contacts to move trailers for JB Hunt and to move loads from CH Robinson at whatever rate they have them posted for how is that lowering the rate? I already said in the post above that you don't have to cut the rates on Straight Trucks to get decent loads. There is more work for straights. So you guys are opposed to any new company? lol. I guess you guys will be happy when I get the Obama disability check instead. I never had to go low to get loads. It is all about customer service and your reputation.

You're right on for the most part, but still even with C.H. Robinson and the like you can still get into competitive areas and need to drop a little on the rate, just not as bad with the straights as with the vans.