How common is overloading vans and Sprinters?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know what my capacity is, I know what's safe. I'm an IC OO, so I have the final say in what does and what doesn't go in my van. If it's not safe, it's not going.

It's real simple: If the police pull me over and start snooping, I'm responsible. If there's an accident (may God forbid) I'm responsible for the condition of my vehicle and whether or not it was in safe limits. I get paid by the mile, not by the pound, so there's no real incentive to me to play unsafe. If it's not worth the risk--- you can figure the rest for yourself.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Well over 10k is a combination license in a commercial application and another little known thingee is the trailer hitch. Like in SC where I'm at a ball connection to a trailer in commercial use is illegal. It must be a penal hook.
Just a small thing with big ticket results.
Besides that, way to much hassle.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, you can put 4,500 lbs into a 2500 series Sprinter. If you do, the vehicle will be resting on the rubber blocks and probably compressing them (forget the springs, they're fully used up), probably flattening the tires more than they should be and generally creating a risky environment. If you do this, I recommend not driving very far because the strain on parts never meant to handle that weight is enormous.

The 3500 series is better able to handle it, and you might as well spring for the dually while you're at it if you're going to do that kind of weight very often.

MX, what size Chevy are you driving? I have the heavyweight 2500 (GVWR of 8600 lbs) and it will handle 2500 lbs without showing apparent strain. I'm guessing you have a lighter unit. Assuming you didn't start out with a low rider in the first place (please say you didn't, though after certain other posts I can't be sure) you either have a 1500 series van or a lightweight 2500 from the sounds of it.

Its 2500 3/4 ton. Maybe im just used to babying her.lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know what my capacity is, I know what's safe. I'm an IC OO, so I have the final say in what does and what doesn't go in my van. If it's not safe, it's not going.

It's real simple: If the police pull me over and start snooping, I'm responsible. If there's an accident (may God forbid) I'm responsible for the condition of my vehicle and whether or not it was in safe limits. I get paid by the mile, not by the pound, so there's no real incentive to me to play unsafe. If it's not worth the risk--- you can figure the rest for yourself.

One of the first lessons I had to learn and one of the hardest.....Walk away, There is always another load....:)

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know a guy who took a 4700 lbs load in his E-250, from McAllen, TX to Dayton, Ohio. It was his decision to take it, just because he wanted to leave TX asap... but he made it!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just wanted to add to the GVW Gross Vehical Weight I always reserve minimum 500 lbs van 1,000 lbs truck for the weight errors. As allot of shippers dont properly weigh the whole shipment or simply lie abbout the weight.

As for the trailer if you choose to pull one.
You are now a combination vehical if you pull a loaded trailer you have to choose cargo in van or trailer as you have a GCVW Gross Combination Vehical Weight Limmit. This includes the van, trailer, fuel, freight, driver and passengers, and anything else in or on the vehical. Remember that trailer will add allot of weight and your van has to move it.
In New York State if you pull a trailer for income you need a USDOT number and are subject to Highway Use Tax.

Here is how to handle the overload/overweight dilemma.

Shipper/ Load Broker)
I know it heavy how much to pull it anyway? Will an extra fifty or one hundred bucks get it done?

Bob's Answer)
Abbout 150 million dollars cash upfront because I will need allot of money if I get into a wreck, get killed most likely kill somone else, then my family gets sued for everything they family and I own. If I survive, I will most certainly have to go to jail for a long time and also be sued. No, your measley fifty or one hundred bucks won't cut it.
Yep, I loose work that way, but I keep my life, and property. For now.

Bob Wolf

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Bob

You are so right. It's not worth $100.00 to anything that is not legal in the first place. Freedom to me cost more money than Bill Gates has.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I know a guy who took a 4700 lbs load in his E-250, from McAllen, TX to Dayton, Ohio. It was his decision to take it, just because he wanted to leave TX asap... but he made it!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums

I put a 3100 pound load on my van and blew my rear main seals and had to replace some rear end parts. Yeah that guy made it but he doesn't know what kind of damage he did to his truck! lol

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I put a 3100 pound load on my van and blew my rear main seals and had to replace some rear end parts. Yeah that guy made it but he doesn't know what kind of damage he did to his truck! lol

I usually don't put more than 2500 lbs, but sometimes, if I had to, I put up to 3000. But not anymore, it ain't worth it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At one time I explored the "trailer" option for my Sprinter.

I was quickly informed by Landstar that insurance would NOT cover a tow behind with electric brakes.

Add to that you have now became an articulated vehicle, that requires a Class A CDL and with the added capacity, you are over 10,000 pounds and would need to do log books.

If a "trailer" is what you want, then just upgrade to a class C or D truck.

Putting a trailer behind a Sprinter doesn't change the normal Class C DL. If you haul hazmat then and only then do you need a Class C CDL. You need a B CDL when you go over 26,000 GVWR up till then you only need a regular C DL.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was going to pull a hot dog cart and earn extra money by selling to dock workers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I keep thinking that pulling a trailer behind a van is a really bad idea. That idea got reinforced the other night. Southbound on I-57, coming through Champaign, got hit by a snowsquall. High winds blew the snow across the pavement and made a nightmare. My van got out of sorts in one spot, fortunately nobody was alongside me or it could have been bad. I had a 25 pound box on board.

Now, imagine a cargo trailer adding to the festivities. You've hit a slippery spot, your van is skittish on that stuff to begin with and now the trailer decides it wants to lead. Does this sound like fun to you?

Even apart from that, I gather that a number of people who talk of towing a trailer have never dealt with trailers. Loading one properly is a bit of a trick. You want at least 10 percent of the total trailer weight resting on the connection to the tow vehicle, but not more than 15 percent. If the trailer's tongue is too light, the trailer will whip from side to side at highway speed and if it ever happens to you once you vow to never let that happen again. If the tongue is too heavy you're putting unnecessary strain on your tow vehicle. On the heavier trailers you'll need an equalizing hitch set-up because-- well, 10 percent of a 5,000 lb trailer is HEAVY and it's at the extreme rear of your tow vehicle. Loading a cargo trailer is a bit of a trick.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Keep in mind the cops can and do weigh cargo vans if they think you are over weight.
Been there done that.

Bob Wolf.