No Forced Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I doubt that there is a set percentage paid by Load 1. Why can't you figure out what a ballpark figure is on your own? Maybe you could go into business with the OP, you won't know how to come up with rates but it won't matter because he will just turn the load down anyway. Looks like a perfect match.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

I dont think I will be going into business with the OP because the operating authority I have had since 2006 is for vehicles 10,000# and under. Works great for my van but would not cover the truck he drives. I believe I have done fairly well coming up with the rate I charge but it is always nice to have a good idea what the competition is charging. Like I said earlier, might come in handy someday.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Most companies tariff rates are the least best kept secret in the industry, lol. Most of the larger carriers are very close. Customers you bid on fluctuate dramatically based on a number of factors.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I worked under Forced Dispatch with my own truck. I was an owner/driver. Nice deal. Made great wage on a w-2 and the truck was paid a rental check. (1099 for truck only) .Our taxes/ workers comp was covered by employer. We were employees and treated as such. I'd work under a forced dispatch like this again if offered.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Those who are not with Load 1, especially those who are not even expediters, think the rules are rigid and are applied hard and fast are sorely mistaken, and often their conclusions are just laughable.

Not necessarily.............

Contracts are Contracts.....and Policies are Policies.

Unless they have been updated, ammended, ratified, and agreed upon by both parties, or all parties involved, the rules can be applied hard, fast, and rigid if needed, if warranted, and even out of just plain spite.

Some here would NEVER make it out on there on their own as an IOO in the trucking industry without a company such as L1, Fed, Pan, Bolt, etc running their day to day operations for them. Especially when it comes to others interpreting "Contracts & Policies" as Laughable, as shown above, clearly proves my point.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not necessarily.............

Contracts are Contracts.....and Policies are Policies.

Unless they have been updated, ammended, ratified, and agreed upon by both parties, or all parties involved, the rules can be applied hard, fast, and rigid if needed, if warranted, and even out of just plain spite.

Some here would NEVER make it out on there on their own as an IOO in the trucking industry without a company such as L1, Fed, Pan, Bolt, etc running their day to day operations for them. Especially when it comes to others interpreting "Contracts & Policies" as Laughable, as shown above, clearly proves my point.
You're right, of course, as usual. Yes, they are a forced-dispatch company. You've convinced me.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Speaking of forced dispatch, one day a guy from Eclipse called me and asked me if I'm available (that was after one month of silence from them), I said yes, and he asked me to do a run from Warren, MI to Romulus, MI. Of course I said "I'll pass this one". He insisted with another one, still a short one. I told him that I don't do runs under 500 miles, he got mad, and almost yelling at me, he said "if you don't do one of these two offers, I'll take you off the board". I said "so, you DO practice forced dispatch". "Yes, I do" he said. "I don't do business with dictators. Have a nice day", I told him and I hanged up the phone. And believe me, until that day I had a very positive opinion about Eclipse...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Most companies tariff rates are the least best kept secret in the industry, lol. Most of the larger carriers are very close. Customers you bid on fluctuate dramatically based on a number of factors.

Exactly, when I was looking around at companies that paid percentage I asked them what the average was so I knew what I was looking at.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Exactly, when I was looking around at companies that paid percentage I asked them what the average was so I knew what I was looking at.

Good start but the devil is often in the details. You have to worry about all of the charges and expenses as well. As always it is not what you make as much as it is what you keep.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Good start but the devil is often in the details. You have to worry about all of the charges and expenses as well. As always it is not what you make as much as it is what you keep.

You have to read the fine print and know what questions to ask so you can make the best business decisions.

1expeditor

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am going to chime in on why some contracts have general and sweeping rules in them. It's like my 12 page driver contract. It states that my drivers will be paid 30 days from the date that we receive the original paperwork! Well, I actually pay every 3-5 business days from the day that we receive a faxed copy of the proof of delivery. Does that mean that I can't pay earlier, well no. All it does is cover my butt if there is a problem with getting a driver paid faster. It's probably the same thing with the Load One contract. Some drivers will simply come in and turn down every load they are offered and there needs to be a blanket clause within the contract to be able to legally deal with the occasional bad apple.

Also, in the defense of any company that has a non-forced dispatch policy, it doesn't mean that you can sit there and turn each and every single bad load down. As a small company owner I can tell you this much that if one of my drivers is turning down a lot of freight and i've been working my butt off to get them a load, i'll just let them sit there for a while and focus my resources on other drivers who will go anywhere. I can still on both hands count how many times i've turned down a load in 6 years. It's not even close to 10. Sometimes you have to just go all in and see where the wave takes you.

This is a very exciting part of the business - to just take that 200 mile run that sets you up for the 1500 mile run! You have to be willing to pull that lever on the slot machine and get er done. I used to take a lot of loads into Canada for Panther and I got out each and every time! A lot of Ops would simply refuse those loads and try and wait for something better. Like I said earlier, blanket policies are in every contract for a reason "to legally deal with those certain people who are not team players!"

very well said blizzard.....that being said i work for a owner in the past who has gotten upset
with me for taking a "short run" sometimes i do feel i just cant win i do try and take everything that is offered to me because you never know what the next load may
bring but at times im in a catch 22 with owner and carrier i try making them both happy and sometimes it doesnt happen:( just wanted to ad my 2cents for whatever its worth yes i know 2cents lol..

jamespope

Not a Member
I'm with you charlie. These people are stupid. (Charlie didn't say that but no one will answer his post) Small time business wanna be's! Who cares if you turn down 100 in a row. IC's do not have customers. They are contracted to run a load on a run by run basis. Each offer in itself is a contract. If load one is so good why not have all company trucks? I have not heard anything bad except this force dispatch thing. Well sounds like you need new dispatchers. Business is business, who cares if someone says no! That's called the cost of doing business. If your punish an IC for not taking loads then that is illegal. A turndown is different then a refusal. As I thought a refusal is when you say yes to a load then turn it down......but a turndown is just a turndown. Well I better stop cause none of you can understand any of these concepts. IC's are not employee's and do not have customers. Any out of service or lay off's as a result of not accepting loads can be seen as punishment. Legal action can be brought against said company!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
very well said blizzard.....that being said i work for a owner in the past who has gotten upset
with me for taking a "short run" sometimes i do feel i just cant win i do try and take everything that is offered to me because you never know what the next load may
bring but at times im in a catch 22 with owner and carrier i try making them both happy and sometimes it doesnt happen:( just wanted to ad my 2cents for whatever its worth yes i know 2cents lol..

I have been in this business for 7 years now. Had I taken EVERY load offered to me over that time I would have been OUT of business 6 years ago.

Run loads that make a profit. Loads that don't cost YOU money. IMHO of course.

jamespope

Not a Member
non forced dispatch means no punishment for not taking a load. why do the dispatchers take it so personal? who cares! drivers drive and dispatchers dispatch. I get a no every time I go to the bar!

1expeditor

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
non forced dispatch means no punishment for not taking a load. why do the dispatchers take it so personal? who cares! drivers drive and dispatchers dispatch. I get a no every time I go to the bar!

ahhh ok not going to ask about the bar comment :confused:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's hard to be non-forced dispatch when you have customers to take care of. It should be a common practice for all O/O's to realize that sometimes you need to take a load to help out your carrier. But that being said, everyone needs to be held to this rule. Also sometimes what looks like a bad business decision might not really be a bad business decision. In your case, the carrier should have not forced you to move any loads because you are leased on with multiple carriers.

That is why sharing vehicles with other companies is not a good idea beacuse you have no real control over that vehicle. I am getting away from the multiple carrier van driver deal and moving towards exclusive use tractor trailers and straight trucks. This kind of eliminates the drama of three companies trying to control one truck while not having any actual control over that truck. Also, if you want to create your own rules, you have to take the bull by the horns and start your own company. If not, you are always going to be playing by another companies rules and you just have to deal with the fact that you are working for someone else and you should follow what it says in your contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm with you charlie. These people are stupid. (Charlie didn't say that but no one will answer his post) Small time business wanna be's! Who cares if you turn down 100 in a row. IC's do not have customers. They are contracted to run a load on a run by run basis. Each offer in itself is a contract. If load one is so good why not have all company trucks? I have not heard anything bad except this force dispatch thing. Well sounds like you need new dispatchers. Business is business, who cares if someone says no! That's called the cost of doing business. If your punish an IC for not taking loads then that is illegal. A turndown is different then a refusal. As I thought a refusal is when you say yes to a load then turn it down......but a turndown is just a turndown. Well I better stop cause none of you can understand any of these concepts. IC's are not employee's and do not have customers. Any out of service or lay off's as a result of not accepting loads can be seen as punishment. Legal action can be brought against said company!

Exactly - turn down all of the loads you want. But don't be surprised when your phone stops ringing with load offers. As in Layout's case, he works for a rather large and impersonal company. It is easier to turn down loads at a bigger company like that. Fedex has other ways to get their loads covered even if they have to broker them out. Load One does not broker out very many loads from what I see because they try and get them covered in house. Like I said, if you don't like the rules then start your own company!

Status
Not open for further replies.