Would like to run regional

Roadranger

Seasoned Expediter
Hi! I'm presently leased on to a local warehousing/delivery service and am looking for options. My truck is a mechanically restored 1995 FLD120 single axle small sleeper that was being run by the previous owner as a "Big Shot" towing a three car trailer with another on the headrack (since removed) - after blowing the rear end in his big ford pickup twice! I've been running this truck for 6 months with NO downtime and as heavy as 70k. I could run even heaver with a spread axle trailer - I'm registered for 80k. I know most (all?) large companies won't lease on something this old, and everyone seems to expect a class "E" to have a tandem axle I think? I get about 8.25mpg driving 60mph max (truck is presently governed at 66). Anyways I'd love to find an expediting (or "regular") company that could run me just within a 600 mile radius of home (junction of CT, MA, & RI). I know there is plenty of Just In Time (AKA Just Too Late <grin> ) freight coming home but getting freight out can be a wait I think? That would work out I think as I could "wait" at home? I've run 28-53 foot vans, containers and some flatbed. Yes? No? Maybe? :)

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
Ranger:
Most companies I have researched 10 years is a max on trucks. I think some may have older ones leased on they just have been there for many years. If you have a decent deal where you are you might want to rethink the regional thing. Just a thought. You are home much more now than you will be then. And probably make more now than then. Anyway stay safe!
robsdad

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Something else to concider here rr.states will let you register your vehicle for whatever weight that you want,but that doesn't mean that you can legally run at that weight.

With your single axle tractor I don't believe that you can legally scale 80,000 or even 70,000 lbs.

front axle 12,000 lbs
single axle 20,000 lbs
trailer tandems 34,000 lbs
total g.v.w. 66,000 lbs

Roadranger

Seasoned Expediter
Different states allow different axle weights. In CT I can scale 70.4 with a "regular" trailer (12k + 22.4k + 36K). Most of the Northeast is similar. South to MD is OK but you have to "sneak" through DE <grin>. You may see states listed as 20k single axle limit BUT they often have a higher limit if your gross is under 74k plus or minus. My tractor is a hair under 14k and the crappy old 53' trailers we have are just under 16k. I hear newer 53' trailers are down around 13k! That would almost let me take "normal" max loads (about 44k).

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I don't think expediting is the area best suited for you . Have you considered obtaining your own authority ? I'm not familiar with work in your area but there is a lot of work available for single axle tractors moving rental trailers and delivering and picking up trailers for repair shops and dealers . Check out the forums here . http://hotshothauling.com/ . One member is running an older International single axle cabover out of PA

Roadranger

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the link! I didn't see any recent posts there about moving around trailers but I posted something about what I was looking for and we'll see what turns up :) . The CDL school I went to a couple years back used to pick up some storage trailer moving work to give the instructors a little extra money plus they'd let a student ride along to get a break from the grind ;-) . I remember the time I went along it was a real tight squeeze to get in front of the one we went for! I don't know if I could do that work well with my 17 foot wheelbase and no rear window. I was thinking of putting in a window anyways but would rather find work where the sleeper was of occasional use. I presently have a few long unloads every week where I can grab an hour or two in the bunk and am darn glad I have it ;) ! One weird job we do as fill in is deliver containers for live unload up in VT. VT has no ports so containers have to be hauled all the way from Boston and back! These tend to be floor loads (no pallets) cubed out so they are light enough for me but just a 20' can takes three guys 2-3 hours to unload, palletize, and shrink rap!