Would like to drive partime in the summer months

woodman5455

Expert Expediter
I do trade shows and haul my own displays all over the US. We are off from mid May until the first weekend in Oct. I own a 1999 FL70 Freightliner and woul like to work some weeks this summer. I do not want a full time job but a couple weeks a month would be great. Can someone give me some information on who I need to contact or what I need to do. I just would like something to do this summer.
Thanks
Dale
[email protected]

abcwine

Expert Expediter
RE: Would like to drive partime in the summer mont

Dale,
Actually, that would be a possibility. You could work half the year expediting and half the year hauling displays. As an owner operator all we ask is that you inform us when you are available and when you are out of service.

Thanks for the interest,

ABC

dantherecruiter

Expert Expediter

Certainly you would be welcome to apply and drive! As an owner operator you have the choice to be in service when you want. There are others who already who have simialar setups.

PantherRecrtr

Expert Expediter

Im going to have to jump in and say that our system really doesn't work for someone who wants to go into it part time. We do have trucks that run solo for most of the year then have a teammate join them during the time that the second person is available, but for an owner operator to sign on with our company to work "part time" really wouldn't benefit the O/O or Panther.

Thanks
PantherRecrtr

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management

Some smaller carriers may be interested in leasing a part-time owner onto their fleet. Some carrier shopping would be in order to find the correct "fit".
Many carriers are looking for long term relationships with their contractors. Most carriers incur some substantial costs when adding vehicles and drivers. Industry experts (truckload carriers) place that cost as high as $5,000. These costs include those during the recruiting process (phone, MVR's, labor, background checks etc...), orientation (labor, materials, physicals, drug screens), signage, satellite installation fees and the major expense of insurance.
It does make great business sense for you to find a carrier to keep your vehicle creating revenue during your "off" period.
Good luck in your business endeavors.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Dale sounds to me the crew confused things even more. 2 say Yae, and 2 say Nae. I do know some guys that do this very thing you ask about, but for smaller independent companies. Wine and Dan say yes, and Panther and Hotfr8 say no. Hotfr8 does bring up a very good point as for the cost of signing on with a company, it does cost money. You would have to weigh the initial start up cost against the money you plan to make, or days you plan to run to actually see if the cost is going to be worth it. Then too once you pay this money it is now good for ever or until you quit that company. If you plan to do this year after year it may be worth the investment. Like wine said you go in service for a period of time and out of service the rest of the year.

The guys did promise not to do any recruiting on the forum so they really can’t suggest which companies do this, in case the company mentioned may be the one they work for. I see you posted your email address and maybe someone will send you an email with some advice on the companies that do this with drivers. I will also keep my ears open and if I hear of any, I will drop you a line. Hotfr8 also stated that you may try some smaller companies. You definitely have to shop around. GOOD LUCK