Working for yourself

rickl2000

Expert Expediter
I have been expediting since 9/2001 working for CTX, and DMX. I found CTX had more drivers than loads and it was a financial nightmare. DMX was great with runs that took you out and deadhead you back.The problem was a lack of work. I usually would only run 1 x per week which barely covered the insurance. I have a 2001 Chevy extended cargo van that is set up to hold up to 3 skids. I am considering getting my own authority and working for myself as I believe I should be able to get at least 1 run a week, hopefully more. Anyone else done this? What do I need to be aware of? Have any of you been able to get loads from different web sites on your own, like findloads.com? I appreciate any insight you have. I am a second income and my wife covers all the househould expenses. I love expediting and just need to make some money to cover my van payment, maintenence, and some retirement money.:7

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Welcome Rick. I don't run a van or run for CTX, but know for a fact CTX was busy last year as I did a lot of contract loads for them in my D unit.
To say expediting in general was busy last year in itself is an understatement, I am curious as to why you weren't. To be honest I don't know who DMX is, but they might not have been your best bet due to the fact I have been doing this for a long time and have not heard of them.
There are VERY, VERY few people on the EO forums with their own authority to help you, but Tony, aka Teacel, is one who does and runs a fleet of vans. I know without saying what he might tell you, but I will let him speak for himself.

I am going to take this to a positive note and say if you have sold yourself on getting your own authority, by all means invest in doing so. Is your business going to get better? Might be a better bet leasing to an active carrier in the south such as All-State or Nations, for the opportunity for more and longer loads with your van if you want to help yourself.
Reading things such as "I am a second income and my wife covers all the househould expenses" is not going to encourage too many of the guys on this forum to want to help you or give you advice. Sorry, but true.
Basically getting your own authority is only going to make things harder and require more effort then leasing to a carrier, even a good one. I'm sure Tony will back me up on that one.
If you dedicate yourself a little more to your career and where it can lead you and not think of this industry as "a little retirement money," you'll shoot your arrows a whole lot smarter and straighter.
-Weave-

rickl2000

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your reply. I don't want to give the impression that I don't need to work. My wife can cover expenses but it is tight. We also have 3 kids to put through college. So I hope people don't write me off. After 19 years in a factory job, I left the comfort of a normal factory shift to go after my dream of driving. I love it. I feel fortunate I have the opportunity to experience being self employed. My biggest mistake with CTX was I had a 97 pickup which they told me I needed a 98 with a special topper. I made the investment-poor choice. I went from a paid for truck to a 23K truck with big payments. They did not have enough work for pickups. Maybe VAns and straight trucks would have been better. Anyway, I found DMX which is a small carrier in Dorr Michigan. I then traded my newer pickup at a loss for a van. They are a great company to work for (a great group of guys) but the loads got too slow. I also occasionally drove a straight truck for them. They were visited by some regulatory agency which required that they provide our insurance. We then had to pay them monthly which was almost double what I was paying previously. I am not set on my own authority but want to work for a good company where I have the potential to earn a decent living. What are some good companies for vans that have a good record of keeping you busy.
Rick:)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would contact All-State Express or Nations, maybe not right now during the "slow" season, but in the spring. These guys should be able to supply you with all the work you want and can handle for the regular season, and insurance won't be an issue. I'm sure there are more, but I am not the van expert here at EO. Some of these fellows should be back soon and have some better advice for you than I do;)
-Weave-

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you're in MI, you might want to check out TST. Their number is 866-564-6878. They seem to have a lot of business in that area, pay pretty well and don't use HHG miles. Good luck with whatever you find.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rick Welcome!!! DMX is a very good small courier company to work for. You just happen to be in the wrong part of Mi. Most courier work is on the other side of Mi and into and out of Canada. Most of the deliveries couriers do are mostly from their home 20 to BFE, and nothing to bring you back home, unless you are running local. If you want courier work and do 2 to 10 trips a day you should switch to a bigger better known company.

If you get your authority and your own work, you will be doing the same thing. Deadheading home or to the next pick up and that is where???? 100 miles away from your last drop, and how long do you have to wait, or how many trips will you miss because you are to far away????

Finding expedite loads on a board is also a joke!!!!!!!!! WHY??? Because people don’t put hot loads on a board. An expedite load has to go now, not in a day or two. So most people that need an expedite delivery only call the people they already know. Most people working in an office for a corp. want things to run smooth. They hate to have to change because that means they have to do a little work or may have to think a little more.

You can join the boards at $35 a month and find a load a week as you say you want to do or you may not. BUT!!! You may also be adding another bill for your wife to pay. Can you afford that gamble???

If you want to do this thing on your own, I hope you know you must put in a lot more hours than doing 1 load a week. Your insurance is way more than what 1 load will pay. Being on your own isn’t all that easy, trust me. Most guys think it is the cats XXX!!!!! But let me tell you it’s not. You must learn to wear 3 or 4 hats!!! Most companies using expediters don’t like to use a one horse team. They feel that you can’t supply their demand. Now can you afford to hire or have the work to run 2, 3, or 4 other drivers? It is real hard to sell yourself to a company. When I started doing this thing on my own I had to start out as a back up to others and would only get 1 or 2 trips a month from a company. I found 10 companies and did it that way for a good long time. It only took 3 years till I found the key on how to service these companies before I started doing well enough on my own.

Some things you should be aware of, being on your own are: a company using you to do a trip, then not pay you!!! If you ask for the money up front, you more than likely won’t get the job. You have to know who is good and who isn’t. Another thing you may want to look out for is the other 1 horse team under bidding you. Remember if a company is calling you for a price on a trip he is also calling 2, 3, or 4 others looking to get the best rate. This is a cut throat business, but then you should already know that.

I would have to tell you to trip lease 1 trip or 2 a week with other already established companies!!! OR maybe find a local courier company that will give you more trips a day or week. GOOD LUCK!!!